Officer Qualifications?

gazmutd

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I need some help.
Does anyone know if you are able to enter training as an officer if you do not have the required qualifcations i.e. gsce's and a levels? I didnt get on well at school as all i wanted to do was to work, but I'm soon paying the price of not of studying properly! :frown:
I know you can be comissioned once in, but I really wanted to train straight away as an officer.
Is there a test or something I can take to show I have the necessary skills?

Your help is much appreciated
:smile1:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site,

In answer to your question: Unfortunately not.

The academic requirements are not only the base level of academic eligibility, they are also required to establish a solid educational background. The reason for this is to justify the invested expense of training a potential Officer. The harsh reality is that it currently costs £9000 per year to educate each individual primary & secondary school pupil- if, after £90K investment, there is little to show, then it's down to the individual to gain the necessary qualifications at their own expense to justify further outlay by the taxpayer.

Even within the service, you still need 5 GCSE's A*-C (Including maths & English) to meet the minimum educational requirement to apply as an Officer (Corps Commission). By far the majority of those applying for a Corps Commission also have a degree.

Best of luck.

gazmutd

Reaction score
thanks for the reply Ninja,
Just one more question, once in the Royal Marines and after a few years service, do they let/help you gain qualifications such as degrees? Is this encouraged?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
After completing recruit Training, you are entitled to learning credits to help finance distance learning educational qualifications.

It's up to the individual as it has to be done in your own free time, but many take advantage of the educational qualifications available, sometimes going as far as Degrees or beyond.