Officer Questions

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Hi

Firstly i would like to say that this forum has been a brilliant place to get info so thanks very much.

Okay i have a few questions that i want to ask, sorry if they already have been answered.

I am planning on joining my local UOTC next year, with a goal of eventually commisioning as either a Royal Marine Commando Officer or " An officer in the Parachute Regiment "( please dont verbally assault me) My reason being that these are the elite of the Brithish Military... and my eventual Goal is pass selection on UKSF ( I bet you have heard that before). I am undecided as of yet, but due to the fact that a lot of commandos are parachute trained i am swaying towards the green beret

Okay heres my brief questions

1. At the moment my qualifications sit at 8 Scottish Standard Grades of grade C and above. And a HNC in Health and Fitness. Will this be enough for me to be considered for the POC or will i need to gain a degree. ?

2. I am currently reading for a sports science degree at the moment , but my eventual goal is definately an officer. If i have the grades that i need though, would it be worth attending POC and then if successful leaving Uni as i have began to achieve my main goal? I am 21 at the moment so will be 25 ish on graduating " worried i will be getting on a bit????"

3. If i stay at Uni( if not enough tariff points)... what would be the best preparation sports, or activities.

4. Should i become a RMO will i be able to chose for example 45 commando.... or am i assigned to one or the other.

5. With a view to special forces... preferably SBS ( Swimmer Canoeist) what exactly does an officer do. I would really like to be out there doing the training and actually getting dirty, rather than a more staff job.?

Thanks very much lads or ladies, any other help or advice would be much appreciated.

Rob Wallace

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Sorry one more.

In the marines is it possible to gain a University bursary" I know the navy raf and army definately do them but i wasnt to sure about how to go about it if i want to be an RMO?, and what exactly is the procedure?

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
mate id would focuse on getting in first...if you turn up at the AFCO and say
"i *text deleted* join marines so i can get in the sas quick" they are just *text deleted* laugh at you....just take it one step at a time

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
oh and i know you can get sixth form scholarships but they are very rare,two or three each year are awarded, but i am not sure on university bursaries.
Ninja Stoker will probably tell you

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Yeah i definately understand, i *text deleted* get in the door first... i just wanted to make sure you knew my plans so you could get the whole story.

Thanks for your help.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
1. At the moment my qualifications sit at 8 Scottish Standard Grades of grade C and above. And a HNC in Health and Fitness. Will this be enough for me to be considered for the POC or will i need to gain a degree. ?

2. I am currently reading for a sports science degree at the moment , but my eventual goal is definately an officer. If i have the grades that i need though, would it be worth attending POC and then if successful leaving Uni as i have began to achieve my main goal? I am 21 at the moment so will be 25 ish on graduating " worried i will be getting on a bit????"

3. If i stay at Uni( if not enough tariff points)... what would be the best preparation sports, or activities.

4. Should i become a RMO will i be able to chose for example 45 commando.... or am i assigned to one or the other.

5. With a view to special forces... preferably SBS ( Swimmer Canoeist) what exactly does an officer do. I would really like to be out there doing the training and actually getting dirty, rather than a more staff job.?

Thanks very much lads or ladies, any other help or advice would be much appreciated.

Rob Wallace

Hiya Rob, welcome & down to business:

1. Your Scottish standard grades must include Maths & English. Your HNC certificate needs to be verified with regards validity via your Area Careers Liaison Officer (and AIB) to ensure it amounts to over 180 UCAS ponts at A level & comprises more than one non-overlapping subject.

2. Not sure why a basic degree need take you over 4 years to achieve, but if you do not apply until you are 25, you are "cutting it fine" with regard age. A graduate entrant starts on £26,216 & a non-grad starts on around £14K. your call. You need to start your application for Officer, if academically eligible, a good year or so before the September you wish to start.

3. The best preparation if you lack the required UCAS points is simply to get them- the subject is of little relevance however your fitness & management experience & potential most definitely are.

4. You may indeed request to serve in a particular Commando unit and indeed your aspirations, whenever possible, will be fulfilled. BUT, when all's said & done you will be appointed wherever the Corps needs you most.

5. Whilst serving as a young officer in the SBS you will most certainly getting dirty, however the more senior you are upon joining, the more likely you are to serve in a senior management role- simply because you are too valuable otherwise.

6. RM Bursaries are indeed available, although rather rare. You need to pass selection (Potential Officers Course & Admiralty Interview Board) with top scores to be considered for a Bursary. If you are selected, you are locked-in to an undertaking that after graduation, you either join the Corps repay the dosh.

Good luck to you.

Nice to see considered questions!

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
yeah sound, every now and again you get a question from some kid whos played too much call of duty 4 and wants to know the best way to get in to SF..... but you sound like you know your stuff so hope everything works out for ya

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hiya Rob, welcome & down to business:

1. Your Scottish standard grades must include Maths & English. Your HNC certificate needs to be verified with regards validity via your Area Careers Liaison Officer (and AIB) to ensure it amounts to over 180 UCAS ponts at A level & comprises more than one non-overlapping subject.

2. Not sure why a basic degree need take you over 4 years to achieve, but if you do not apply until you are 25, you are "cutting it fine" with regard age. A graduate entrant starts on £26,216 & a non-grad starts on around £14K. your call. You need to start your application for Officer, if academically eligible, a good year or so before the September you wish to start.

3. The best preparation if you lack the required UCAS points is simply to get them- the subject is of little relevance however your fitness & management experience & potential most definitely are.

4. You may indeed request to serve in a particular Commando unit and indeed your aspirations, whenever possible, will be fulfilled. BUT, when all's said & done you will be appointed wherever the Corps needs you most.

5. Whilst serving as a young officer in the SBS you will most certainly getting dirty, however the more senior you are upon joining, the more likely you are to serve in a senior management role- simply because you are too valuable otherwise.

6. RM Bursaries are indeed available, although rather rare. You need to pass selection (Potential Officers Course & Admiralty Interview Board) with top scores to be considered for a Bursary. If you are selected, you are locked-in to an undertaking that after graduation, you either join the Corps repay the dosh.

Good luck to you.

Nice to see considered questions!

Ah you beat me to it, i wanted to show off.

:)

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like you have a very sound plan to me. I would also be in a similar position to you when all is said and done if i wished to join as an officer, currently 19 and considering a diploma in engineering and then a possible degree. However this would leave me at 25 trying to join as an officer.

What would people's opinions on this be? Currently engaged in an application, if i decided to join now.

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Thanks Guys.

Much appreciated... so now i am under the impression that a basic degree will be enough to qualify me, this sounds very very appealing. I get the benefits of a degree and get into the Marines even faster. Excellent.

I reckon i will stick at uni... purely because i really dont like giving up something i have started, and the wage difference seems quite large between graduate and non graduate entry.
I reckon however that i may give the POC and AIB a blast next year with regards to getting myself a bursary, that way my foots already in the door and i can concentrate more on getting the degree.

So in preparation for this is assume that a heck of a lot of phys is the way forward?
I have been reading a lot of the Times and The Independant lately to try and keep up with modern affairs, i also see a navy book reccomended on this site.. which will be a future purchase.
Any other things i can do to really prepare myself to be the best on the POC? ( I know i probably wont be the best, but if i strive to achieve that goal then i hopefully wont be the worst)

Thanks Again Guys

I am off to read some of the other POC threads, back later.

Cheers

Rob

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
Done a few fitness tests at uni earlier this week, my results are as follows

Press Ups in 1 minute- 75
Sit Ups in 1 minute- 55
Beep Test- 15.3
Did various others but these ones seem most Marine like

Also done 10 Pull Ups no probs.

*text deleted* need to really do some Road running and swimming though as these are probably the areas i dont train at the moment.

I have been training in Judo for 8 years at a fairly high level... im also starting Rock Climbing, do you guys reccomend Triathlon as an effective training method?

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest it sounds like your in pretty good shape, but a bit of extra training never hurts. Just don't over train, but as a fellow Sport student you'd know that. How come it is going to take 4 years to get a degree if you are already at uni?

Rob Wallace

Reaction score
To be honest it sounds like your in pretty good shape, but a bit of extra training never hurts. Just don't over train, but as a fellow Sport student you'd know that. How come it is going to take 4 years to get a degree if you are already at uni?

I started Uni this year, 1st year.

I am assuming its 4 years to get the honors degree... or thats what i assume, but apparently i am now believing i can graduate with a basic degree in 3 years.

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you can get a degree in 3 years, its the Masters that takes longer. If you put the effort in you can get a 1st class degree in 3 years, it is down to how hard you work not how long you work for. Or thats what i'v ebeen told.