Officer selection in RMR

encn

Reaction score
Hi All, I posted this in the RMR section a few days ago, but didn't get any replies yet - maybe it's better suited to this section........

I've just joined RMR Holding Troop (absolutely loving it, really want to get cracking now) - selection weekend not until November. Now most of my mates, and a few regulars I know are saying I should 'join as an officer' - no problems academically (420 UCAS points, degree, etc.), but I was led to believe I couldn't do this; not in RMR and not if over 26 - I'm 27 on Friday.

Problem is I keep getting different info from my Det, my AFCO, etc. so really wanted your help.....

Am I right in thinking the best way for me to go for officer selection is to do RMR PRMC and Phase one traing like everyone else, then apply to do the reserve-style POC, AIB etc alongside Phase 2 training? Or do I have to wait until I've got my green lid, then go for reserve POC?

If the first one is correct then do I need to do anything now (other than work like a *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** on my Phys and get top marks at the PRMC) or should I wait until I'm in Phase 1 before applying, and how do you apply??

Any advice would be good - I definitely want to be an officer in the reserves, so it seems pointless waiting until after my Green lid, to even start officer selection, unless I have to - rather get on with it ASAP really.

Cheers

GreyFox42

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
I've certainly heard conflicting information from the website, the ACLO and officers in the RMR. As I understand it, however, you would be too old unfortunately to do YO training as a regular (must be 26 before start of training) but because RMR is able to be more flexible about ages this may still be an option for you. Should you wish to do this I believe you have to do PRMC and then all of phase 1 with everyone else then sit an interview chaired by your RMR CO; should this go well you'll go forward for POC and AIB. From here I'm not clear how it works, but the website [http://www.royalmarines.mod.uk/server/show/nav.6744] suggests you carry on alongside your oppos but do more besides:

RMR Officer Training
RMR Recruits Phase 1 Course - (Individual Skills Training)
RMR Recruits Phase 2 and Reserve Forces Commando Course - (Tactics Training &Commando Course)
Territorial Army Commissioning Course (Modules 2, 3 and 4)
TA Platoon Tactics Course (PTC)
Note: All applicants regardless of rank or age are required to pass the Commando Course, unless previously qualified. Applicants with previous suitable military service may be selected to begin training with Phase 2 recruits.

RMR Commissioning Course
A two-week course conducted by the Command Wing (CW) at CTCRM. The aim of the course is to introduce Royal Marines Reserve Officers to the qualities necessary to hold commissioned rank.

The Royal Marines are unique within the UK Armed Forces, as no other organisation carries out basic military training, for both officers and men at the same establishment. The fact that both have occasion to see the other during such arduous training, as well as working together during field exercises, creates the basis of a mutual respect.

TA Platoon Tactics Course (PTC)
A two-week course conducted by the Army's Infantry Training Wing (ITW) based at Brecon. It is designed to introduce and practice Reserve Officers in the planning and conduct of Infantry Tactics. This course equips RMR Officers with the basic skills to command a rifle troop of 28 men within an RMR unit.

The best thing for you to do is to talk to the ACLO and get the ball rolling re any extra admin you may have to do to get the ball rolling. Certainly you should be looking to smash the PRMC - aim to max the pressups, situps and chins (I squeezed out 18 - easy marks...) so even just a good score on the bleep test (download and practice practice practice) means you've still got a great pass to impress with.

The most important thing to bear in mind is that corps commissioned officers probably make up a bigger proportion than in the regulars. Full-time YO training is apocalyptic enough without having to do it part-time, and so bear in mind that you'll have to impress twice as much.

Good luck

encn

Reaction score
Thanks,

That's pretty much what I thought, but it certainly isn't all that clear.

The age limit is definately not such an issue in RMR (as long as you're under 32!) so the concensus definately seems to be to smash the PRMC then start making noises during phase 1 (once you've got some good scores to make noise about) and do the reserve version of the YO training in parralell to Phase 2 / Commando course........and all in my 'spare' time......so not at all 'challenging' then!! But I've got time (and a gym at work) so no excuses not to go for it! :smile:

Cheers.