Officer training

bluenose1664

Reaction score
forgive me if this is the wrong place to post or it’s been covered before.

I’ve seen somewhere on the forum that officers are generally treated better from the beginning of their training as opposed to ORs. Can anyone explain further what’s meant by this? I’ve decided joining as other rank is more suited to me but I’m just curious. Thanks in advance

Chelonian

Reaction score
I’ve seen somewhere on the forum that officers are generally treated better from the beginning of their training as opposed to ORs. Can anyone explain further what’s meant by this?
Do you have a link to that "somewhere" on the forum? :)

Someone better qualified than I will perhaps be able to give you an informed opinion based on their own sons' experience. @dodgyknees or @TheRents or @Flubberdog perhaps?

bluenose1664

Reaction score
I don’t I’m afraid, the amount of reading I’ve done on here lately aswell I doubt I’d find it again:(

I’m sure it was along the lines of “officers are generally treated better from day 1” but no further explanation was offered

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up @Chelonian

Ho Ho -If only.

The whole ethos of RM training is that it takes place side by side. Recruits at CTC will see YO's being given extra phys around camp just the same as anybody else.

The 2017 batch did foundation just the same as the guys in RT, if that is not available they start in the six man grots.

When it comes to the Commando tests for YO's these take place at the end of Crash Action, a three week exercise. All four tests are conducted on consecutive days with less time allowed for each test and in the case of the 9MSM a section attack has to be completed at the end of the march.

The jobs are just different, neither is better than the other. Which route you choose to take depends on what you want out of your career.

A little story -
My son has been set on a career in the military since the age of eight. Having joined a CCF contingent he was lucky enough to spend time on various RN ships and a sub, as well as a few shore establishments, with a view to joining the RN.
It was after spending four days on HMS Bulwark where he got to spend time with an embarked RM troop, that for him, the die was cast. On his return I asked him how the trip had been, his reply-
"It was bloody brilliant dad, had a great time on the ship, but I met this group of RM's, just great great blokes, total nutters and just a fantastic team and none of this them and us stuff. I'm going to be a Royal Marine! "

I hope that answers your question ;)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I honestly believe the Corps has got it right with Officer training co-located with Other Rank Recruit Training.

The peculiar thing with the generic UK Armed Forces, in relation to working as a civilian, is everyone starts out with many of the things they take for granted, stripped away. By which I mean creature comforts such as adequate rest/sleep and relaxation, the freedom to go home at will, the ability to see and converse with one's loved-ones whenever suits, internet access, mobile phones, a warm duvet in a centrally heated bedroom all to yourself, Mum's cooking, alcohol, cigarettes, etc, etc.

The fact that Royal Marines Officers have to complete Young Officer training to more exacting standards than other ranks doesn't mean that the responsibility of rank doesn't come without privileges (often simply the restoration of many of the things civilians take for granted, or caviar, for example), but the penalties for failing in your duties and responsibilities as an officer can certainly be life-changing and profound.

For those joining who just want to be at the sharp end without having to worry about looking after the routine training, combat effectiveness, medical, dental, safety and welfare 'health' of those under their charge (as well as their own admin chores), then the Other Rank route should seriously be considered regardless of academic attainment.

bluenose1664

Reaction score
Thankyou for the responses, both very insightful. Yes @Ninja_Stoker the admin side of things is one of the main reasons why I have submitted an application for the Other Rank route. It can’t hurt to be aware of both roles and what they entail. If I’m correct I recall you speaking of a lad who had a scholarship but left after a few weeks of YO training as he didn’t realise the admin side of things was part of his role and not taken care of by someone else:eek:

Thanks again for the responses

D

dodgyknees

Just to add...

The reason YOs have less time to complete everything is that they are expected to participate in all activities with the lads and then go back and plan the next serial. Difficult to do when you are breathing out of every orifice. The batch come under intense scrutiny from day 1 with everyone looking for a drop in the exacting standards expected. @Ninja_Stoker has it spot on when he talks about marines and officers trg together...as a Pongo, I am deeply jealous of the CTC set-up.

Common misconception that the officers have it easy in all services. I can assure you from both mine and my son's experience that is not the case.

Flubberdog

Reaction score
I agree with the above posts. The quality of RM recruits and serving Marines really fosters teamwork and YOs have done everything that recruits do, including all the admin, kit inspections, room inspections, mud runs and beastings! -jimlad- They also have to do the Commando tests in less time and the gap in these timings really matters, especially in the 30 miler. Sure, Officers go down a different path and eventually gain certain privileges that the recruits do not, but the training process is as tough on them as the other ranks. However, the ethos of becoming a Royal Marine is about getting the green beret. Everyone who wears one has earned it fair and square.

The very best of luck to you in your application and training. Remember to keep smiling however much it hurts! :)

G

GreenNugget

Don’t forget that most Young Officer entrants are in their early 20's. Junior entry for ranks tends to be 16/17.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Don’t forget that most Young Officer entrants are in their early 20's. Junior entry for ranks tends to be 16/17.
Indeed we do get joiners from as young as 16 with the "optimal" age range for successful completion of recruit training being 19-23. Similarly max age on entry for Direct Entry RM Officers is 25 whereas Other Ranks can join up to and including age 32 and 364 days.