Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Officer Work Experience

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by 1664rmcm, Jun 12, 2020.

1. 1664rmcm

1664rmcm Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    hi all I have just turned 17 and would like to get some more work experience, i have passed everything up until POC, which was cancelled on May 10. Can you suggest any work experience or ways of getting any, preferably not military to show i understand outside world and can work with others non military and just develop myself. aiming for 2021 batch so have a fair bit of time to do this over.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Hopefully others will comment but here's my observation:

Just about any job provides 'work experience.'
    Arguably, the lower the status of the job, the more opportunities to gain experience of the world of work. Some jobs are plain grotty and underpaid but rocking up and cracking on regardless helps develop a good 'work ethic.' I hate the phrase, but you get my drift?

For example a Royal Navy CPO friend of mine claims that shifts at Burger King taught him a vast amount before he enlisted in the RN.

Don't be psyched out by the myth that all YOs do an internship at the merchant bank where daddy works. :)

@TheRents might chip in with a comment if he spots this.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    I can only comment with regards to as far as I have got in the process, but as Chelonian said, any work will do. To give yourself breadth and depth of experience, perhaps get 2 jobs (e.g. bar work and sales rep), clocking about 15 up to 40hrs in each one (if manageable/possible). This can give you comparison on how workplaces can differentiate but also have similarities i.e. risk assessments, rotations, procedures, finance, responsibilities, communication styles, communication under pressure, etc.

The core aspect to me however, is taking an invested interest in what is going on in front of you and seeking to improve it, regardless of how dire it might be. Believe that and you will come through.

Edit: might add, given current climate, look for jobs such as delivery driver, labourer, NHS volunteer, fast food server, gardener. Bar work might be difficult to come by *text deleted*.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to add to the above... if one is at the bottom of the job pile the probability of being on the receiving end of some pïss poor management is perhaps greater.

Really valuable lessons to be learned by observing how a management hierarchy works. There are plenty of successful organisations out there which thrive despite the management rather than because of it. Learning from someone else's mistakes is almost as effective as learning from one's own and more satisfying, obvs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  5. THOR

THOR Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    ICS (International Citizen Service), the follow on from NCS you might have seen/done whilst in school.

Involves a selection process; not too heavy but still involves interviews, group planning projects etc. You then go and raise £800, rest is paid for, before going off on the exped phase which is roughly 12 weeks abroad (Nepal, Tanzania, and a few others).

Every Brit volunteer is paired with a local, you live in with a local family. Mix of setting up infrastructure, community projects etc. All very relevant skills.

All been put on hold with Covid, but if and when it picks back up again I'd say this is well worth getting onboard with. Also loads of info, videos etc out there to check out.

THOR

• Like Like x 2
  6. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Indeed, I witnessed both some great and some terrible managers/leaders during some of the jobs I have been. They gave me a sense of what was the right way to conduct oneself in a position of responsibility, not necessary authority.

There was one chap, who was the manager of a bar I worked in, and he was perhaps the definition of equanimity in all situations when it came to his leadership. Seriously. The guy never got too involved with his colleagues to be swayed by their agendas, but enough to show he was a person with a life and was a sound guy. There was one occasion, when a 30 man brawl erupted and before you knew it, the entire place was alive with chaos. Tables being broken, bottles smashed, CCTV cameras being pulled out, doors broken off hinges, the full show. The manager got the supervisory team together (including myself), didn't even utter a swear. Just calmly gave each of us a bodycam, said to put these on, and then begin "moving" people out the building without engaging in the fights. Honestly, the guy then calmly turns round, gets in the middle of 5 of these guys beating the hell out of eachother, and despite each one trying to take a go at him, he posts them all out through the door, without losing his *text deleted*.

The same guy, then happily went on to pull an all nighter followed by a full day of work without sleep, so he could fix the bar, get contractors in to repair damage, and then re-do the decor because we had a festival event coming up and he wanted the theme of the venue to be ahead of all the local competitors. A solid character *text deleted*.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My bold. A general observation.
    Nobody need spend one single penny to step outside of one's comfort zone.
    No apologies but many such 'soft adventure experience expeditions' (which is the official travel industry label) are a lazy option.

I'm no expert but I'd guess that the AIB collectively yawns at the prospect of 'yet another gap-year-orphanage-builder'.

Don't pay a 'provider' for the opportunity to build an orphanage in Peru or Tanzania that nobody actually needs or wants.
    Just get a bloody job! -banghead-

A mild rant, but please consider independent and proactive excursions into broadening one's horizons. The opportunities are on your own doorstep and you'll get paid for doing 'em.

• Like Like x 3
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
  8. TheRents

TheRents Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    @1664rmcm

Any job you can grab at the moment. Just try and get one or two where you are working with as many people as possible.

If it is 'Golden Arches', Burger King whatever. You will have to deal with the general public, great for brushing up personal skills. They have a well established management structure and you have to learn to get on with your co-workers, or at least appear to!

As the guys have said before you do not need to be leading a crack team up The Northeast Ridge. The biggest asset you can have as a YO is a good work ethic.

There are numerous occasions where the TT will assign a YO a task to perform - organising relevant vehicles from the motor pool, sorting out comms equipment for an Ex, getting phots printed at the repro dept ... As the weeks duty YO you will be in charge of making sure the batch turn up at the right time, with the correct gear and following the orders you are given. This will involve delegating and co-ordinating the rest of the batch. You are expected to carry out these tasks to a high standard and in a timely fashion.

Do not be the guy who remembers the battery packs half way to Sennybridge :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  9. TheRents

App Stage:
    Parent
    I type slowly and rambled on, and as usual got beaten to it by @Chelonian :)

10. TheRents

App Stage:
    Parent
    This says it all- work ethic.

You can be a tactical wiz in the field, an absolute unit for the phys, but if you rock up late at unit or don't get your reports done on time it counts for nothing.

If you want to succeed just be the guy that gets shite done!

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Great insight again!

12. THOR

THOR Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    It's a government program, linked with a few approved charities. Not actually part of the 'Travel Industry'. Previously called Operation Raleigh.

The £800 is included so that people looking to hop on for a vacation get filtered out; said money is to be raised in a way were it isn't supplemented from the individuals income or savings.

Not looking to get into a debate on the ins and outs of tourism/humanitarian efforts and so on, but I do think that living with people from another culture, taking part on practical team work, and presenting information to a group can at the very least sit on an equal level as a job at Tesco. Especially since both aren't mutually exclusive.

You're right in the sense you don't need to spend money to get experience, and there's plenty folks out there who will overcharge for a 'gap year experience', but it doesn't make all invalid.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. Undoubtedly there are credible providers out there which are not entirely motivated by profit. But providers with plausible charitable credentials also trade off the reputation of Operation Raleigh.

Personally I'd still consider independent travel. Arguably it has its own risks but perhaps greater reward.

• Like Like x 1
  14. THOR

THOR Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    @Chelonian

100%. I travelled myself in France using a site called Workaway; you work a certain amount of hours per week for food and accom (often use of a vehicle). Safe to say I had a range of hosts, but I learnt one way or another from all of them, 5 months cost 2 train tickets (and a few beers), and I can now speak passable French.

Big advice I'd give to anyone is no matter what you're doing put yourself forward for things. Whilst doing STCW's for the Merchant Navy, my hand was the first up any time they asked for volunteers; sometimes that resulted in me helping clean kit up, but it also got me more time in team leader roles, and on the kit where only a couple get to play with per course, I was one of those guys too.

The exception to that rule is if ever there's guys standing around the Sewage treatment plant and people start asking if your vaccinations are up to date you respond with a "I'm actually not certain on that". Nothing to learn from that experience you can't learn from observation.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I don't have personal experience of Workaway but the format is attractive. A friend did something similar after his divorce a few years back. He spent almost a year restoring a vintage fishing boat in Italy. It wasn't exactly a step outside of his comfort zone because he'd spent thirty years building wooden boats. Obviously the provider hit the jackpot in his case as experience was not even a requirement.

Looking at Workaway the opportunity of restoring a garden and bee-keeping in Crimea in return for bed and board actually appeals.

• Like Like x 1