officers with degrees

samw992

Reaction score
is their any difference between RM officers joining with uni degrees, and officers joining with A levels only other than initial pay?
i know that having a uni degree doubles joining pay from £14,000 to around £28,000, but are there any other differences within their career itself? for example more of a desk job and less time on the front line fighting...

sorry if that doesn't make much sense *text deleted*

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There is absolutely no diiference in the roles performed by graduate and non-graduate officers. Graduates are awarded seniority for the time spent studying for their degree, so they will reach Lt quicker than a non-grad, apart from that you wud b treated exactly the same

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, there is no real difference between them, except for the graduates being older and lugging around a big student debt.

Some people have argued that Officers without degree's are not as intelligent or adept at leading others, but I think passing POC and AIB and doing YO training would mean you are of a equal standards.

samw992

Reaction score
I agree, there is no real difference between them, except for the graduates being older and lugging around a big student debt.

Some people have argued that Officers without degree's are not as intelligent or adept at leading others, but I think passing POC and AIB and doing YO training would mean you are of a equal standards.

yeah if youve shown enough potential to even get into YO training then you have to be a special sort of person, the main reason i was asking about the whole degree thing was because i dont want to end up sat behind a desk in an organisation like the marines, not that there is any difference in the standard of the marine.

D

Deleted

Im not really sure whether I want to get a degree and go in as an officer, but I was just wondering what would stop you from getting in without one? Is it just being able to prove that you are independant from your parents?

samw992

Reaction score
Im not really sure whether I want to get a degree and go in as an officer, but I was just wondering what would stop you from getting in without one? Is it just being able to prove that you are independant from your parents?

something ive heard can help is if you take part in organising charity events like fun runs, or helping coach teams down at the local youth center, these do seem like abit of an effort to make, but will look very good on your CV showing that you have good organisational and leadership skills.

D

Deleted

Yeah, so just get involved in a lot of things really, I'll make sure I do a lot in college then.

samw992

Reaction score
Yeah, so just get involved in a lot of things really, I'll make sure I do a lot in college then.

that pretty much sums it up, just try and make yourself look as good as possible

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to be an officer straight after school (non-graduate) it's entirely possible but on POC and AIB you have to demonstrate maturity, life experience and numerous examples of leadership, organisation etc.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just to add to the previous post if u can enter YO training I wud do so, even tho u wud b paid slightly less, u wud hav no student debt and cud study for an open university degree wen u passed out of training

D

Deleted

Would you say that taking a gap year (between year one and two of college, because I think you can), and going seeing places and around the world, would stregnthen the application, particularly at the AIB?

samw992

Reaction score
Would you say that taking a gap year (between year one and two of college, because I think you can), and going seeing places and around the world, would stregnthen the application, particularly at the AIB?

Copied from one of ninjas previous posts:

"It's not essential to have a degree to join the Royal Mauines as an Officer & it does not affect your chances of selection either way. A degree nearly doubles your starting pay from £14, 000 to £28, 000 however, as well as giving you as good a grounding in life-experience as anything else & generally indicates you have good "stickability" as compared to going off back-packing drifting from one place to another."

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think a gap-year could be beneficial to *text deleted* application, as long as u used it in the right way. If u explained *text deleted* reasons for taking a gap-yr and the life skills/ maturity it has given u at AIB it can only help. A mate of mine at uni is looing to join as RM officer, he had a gap yr b4 uni, and enjoyed it so much he plans on taking another year out after his degree before he joins up

New Threads