Official reason Hunter 3 was binned?

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering why hunter 3 got binned, for me personally it was the best thing to happen to me in recruit training, due to the standards being so high compared to a recruit troop, that after my stint in H3 I didn’t fail a locker inspection.
Personally loosing hunter 3 is detrimental to training because how can recruits expect redoing 2 weeks before the thing they failed to improve even if they got a reteach because in troop you’re thinking about a million things you have to do. But in hunter 3 it’s a slower pace and they specially focus these 2 weeks on what you failed along with your weaknesses. Plus doing extra things: break contacts etc against another section as a phase 1 nod or Gucci presentations the corporals gave of their tours with videos shown of them in contact, kept moral high after mentally being on a low from failing.
These corporals would get port gifted to them by lads who had passed out, after king squad. Shows how hoofing they where despite only having the lads for a short period.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hunter 3 was absolutely hoofing and it achieved quite a lot back when it first began. I have always been a huge supporter of it.

As you rightly pointed out, if a recruit professionally fails a criteria exercise, how is he supposed to pass that exercise in two weeks time with no formal re-training package?

I can't provide the official reason as to why Hunter 3 no longer exists, however I would speculate that it was potentially due to how overcrowded Hunter Coy is. If all the allocated Hunter bedspaces are full with injured recruits it leaves little room to have a whole area of hunter coy dedicated to professional failings.

I believe that if a recruit was to fail an exercise twice on the bounce, he is then afforded a re-training package in Hunter before his third and final attempt, but it is not as extensive as the old Hunter 3, Bamford/Finch packages used to be.

Moonduster

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering why hunter 3 got binned, for me personally it was the best thing to happen to me in recruit training, due to the standards being so high compared to a recruit troop, that after my stint in H3 I didn’t fail a locker inspection.
Personally loosing hunter 3 is detrimental to training because how can recruits expect redoing 2 weeks before the thing they failed to improve even if they got a reteach because in troop you’re thinking about a million things you have to do. But in hunter 3 it’s a slower pace and they specially focus these 2 weeks on what you failed along with your weaknesses. Plus doing extra things: break contacts etc against another section as a phase 1 nod or Gucci presentations the corporals gave of their tours with videos shown of them in contact, kept moral high after mentally being on a low from failing.
These corporals would get port gifted to them by lads who had passed out, after king squad. Shows how hoofing they where despite only having the lads for a short period.

I know my son found Hunter 3 invaluable... not only taught him the skills for retakes but at the same time additional skills, such as (as a Phase 1 nod) going out on Dartmoor in a small (mixed phase) group to develop map reading skills. He said the H3 t/t were different class, so enthusiastic!

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good friend of mine was struggling from day 1, was always at the bottom of the troop regardless of what you were scoring, that is apart from the amount of effort he was putting in which he’d be at the top.

He did his H3 package after a short period of sick leave, and when he rejoined the next troop he not only continued to the very end with that troop, but was a contender for the Kings Badge; complete transformation and he says it was down to the TT and program he had in Hunter 3.

bogsandmud

Reaction score
For someone who doesn't know, how is Hunter Coy structured out of interest? Thanks

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Fairly sure its changed recently from Hunter 1/Hunter 2/STIG

To

Hunter Alpha/Bravo/Charlie
and
Hunter STIG (Short term injuries group)

Recruits with injuries such as sprains/strains get placed into STIG. Any injury with a recovery prognosis of over 6 weeks would see a recruit placed into Hunter Alpha.

The recruit then has to pass physical tests to progress from alpha through to charlie before being placed back into mainstream training.

I've only worked in mainstream training and not hunter coy, unsure if there are any recruits who currently in hunter on here who can elaborate more.

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The recruit then has to pass physical tests to progress from alpha through to charlie before being placed back into mainstream training.
This is dependent on what week of training, a week 5 only has to pass Alpha’s, week 14 Alphas and Charlie’s, phase 2 all tests

Figgers

Reaction score
Fairly sure its changed recently from Hunter 1/Hunter 2/STIG

To

Hunter Alpha/Bravo/Charlie
and
Hunter STIG (Short term injuries group)

Recruits with injuries such as sprains/strains get placed into STIG. Any injury with a recovery prognosis of over 6 weeks would see a recruit placed into Hunter Alpha.

I've only worked in mainstream training and not hunter coy, unsure if there are any recruits who currently in hunter on here who can elaborate more.

From my experience Hunter 1 was for phase 1 nods, Hunter 2 for phase 2.

Alphas were for all injuries that weren’t STIG. When you pass your alpha tests to get medically upgraded you then go onto bravos and/or Charlie’s (this depends on what week training you are) where you get beasted on bottom field and yomps. Once these have been passed you then go back into mainstream training.

That is my experience of it anyway and it could well have changed as I have been out of training just over 3 years. But it does sound like it is similar from what you were saying.

Out of interest, in what instance would a corporal go to hunter company, is it just you getting told you’re going to hunter or would it be something you applied for and certain experience you have are looked upon more favourably?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The cpls I had while I was in hunter 3 were actually on their way out of the corps, and it was their final draft.

As alluded to above, these guys dig out blind to get you to the highest possible standard, and I found H3 an extremely valuable experience.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I did a stint in H3 as well as a long stay in H2 with injury. I can honestly say the instructors will do everything they can to help the lads. Its a shame to hear its gone because it definitely helps

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
From my experience Hunter 1 was for phase 1 nods, Hunter 2 for phase 2.

Alphas were for all injuries that weren’t STIG. When you pass your alpha tests to get medically upgraded you then go onto bravos and/or Charlie’s (this depends on what week training you are) where you get beasted on bottom field and yomps. Once these have been passed you then go back into mainstream training.

That is my experience of it anyway and it could well have changed as I have been out of training just over 3 years. But it does sound like it is similar from what you were saying.

Out of interest, in what instance would a corporal go to hunter company, is it just you getting told you’re going to hunter or would it be something you applied for and certain experience you have are looked upon more favourably?

It used to be the case that the corporal who was voted as the most inspirational corporal would get a stint in Hunter Coy, however that isn't the case anymore it's just a matter of asking to go really.

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It used to be the case that the corporal who was voted as the most inspirational corporal would get a stint in Hunter Coy, however that isn't the case anymore it's just a matter of asking to go really.
seems like there has been a lot of change in the corps these last few years and coming in the foreseeable future with other threads posted about changes on here. Some for the better or worse. Im sure that the reason lads join will still remain the same, along with the corp having the same problem with retention of trained ranks, this is a trend across all branches.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If they are injured they are taken off the exercise and they will go into Hunter.

If they fail an exercise professionally they are re-trooped and they attempt the exercise again. If they fail for a second time they recieve remedial training on the areas they haven't quite grasped. If they fail professionally for a third time they are discharged.