ok this is my routine as of now....comments please.

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
SUNDAY (start of my week)

PM (afternoon 4pm) weights session (back which includes 4 sets of 12 pull ups) followed by 3.51 mile hill run very steep gradient..very good on the calfs and quads.

followed about an hour/ two hours later press ups 40, 30, 30, 25, 40 and then 5 times 40 of sit ups.

MONDAY

AM- weights session (biceps)

PM - circuit class (10 exercises..1st circuit is for one min..the next is for a min 30 and the last two are for 30 secs each...all have about a min rest inbetween) pretty tough going..IM HANGIN OUT AFTER THIS.

little later at 9pm..and hour of basket ball...use this for sprints really.

TUESDAY

PM weight session (chest) rest day....and then about an hour later a three mile interval run...( 5 long sprint intervals)

WEDNESDAY

AM weight session (triceps)

PM 4 mile best effort run...followed by 5 times 40 sit ups...then about an hour to two hours later press ups 20, 20, 18, 18, 15, 15, 15, 40

THURSDAY

AM weight session (shoulders and abdominals)

pm hour of swimming...mixture of breast stroke and front crawl...just try to work as hard as i can...as im not a great swimmer so i hang out on this!

FRIDAY

AM weight session (legs) followed by 1.5 best effort on a tread mill

PM 3 mile best effort..then about an hour later, press ups 18, 18, 16, 16, 15, 15, 12, 40 ..then 5 sets of 40 sit ups

SATURDAY-complete day off

*press ups and sit ups progress each week*

i find ive got a good balance of cardio and strength training...my weights consist of 3 sets... 2 x 10 on heavy weight, and third set a low set, but doin 25 to 30 reps.........triceps this is the same, except when i do bench dips two sets of 50 reps.then my final set is with 20 kg plate on my lap and i do 25 reps (i figure triceps help press ups)

feel free to rip this apart im always eager to learn from anyone...

daz900daz

Reaction score
Personally mate i think your concentrating to much on a body builders routine for your weights workout. Work all your muscle groups at once, well in one session anyway, it's crazy how different it is. If your worried about size and so on don't mate, it'll be more of a hindrance when you get there anyway, just concentrate on being as fast and as strong as you can over all.... being nimble will probably help you more. I weight trained for a long time the size i was means nothing now, yeah it's *text deleted* some times but now i'm just as strong, i can run like fu*text deleted* and keep doing what is asked of me. Without to much upset. Certainly use the weights, i still do, try super-setting them with a body weight exercise instead though. Makes a hell of a difference.

If you want an example just P.M me pal.

Cheers

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
daz900daz said:
Personally mate i think your concentrating to much on a body builders routine for your weights workout. Work all your muscle groups at once, well in one session anyway, it's crazy how different it is. If your worried about size and so on don't mate, it'll be more of a hindrance when you get there anyway, just concentrate on being as fast and as strong as you can over all.... being nimble will probably help you more. I weight trained for a long time the size i was means nothing now, yeah it's *text deleted* some times but now i'm just as strong, i can run like fu*text deleted* and keep doing what is asked of me. Without to much upset. Certainly use the weights, i still do, try super-setting them with a body weight exercise instead though. Makes a hell of a difference.

If you want an example just P.M me pal.

Cheers
not worries about size at all...im 12 stone (lost a stone and a few pounds since june) and happy with that...im very happy with the way i am...

will take it on board matey and adapt...

*text deleted*...to be fair...your pretty much super human

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont really have a complicated routine. Heres mine at the mo=

Day 1 Gym
Day 2 Swimming
Day 3 Gym
Day 4 Swimming
Day 5 Gym

You get the picture. Because I have shin splints (although there going) I dont do any running but when I can itll be in the order of gym, swimming, running.

While in the gym I do 20 mins on the cross trainer which is exellent (but nothing beats running) Then I go on to do three, 2 min bouts on the rower which I try to go all out on.
When I first started swimming I didnt think it was a very good exercise. But then PAgreenwell gave me a good training programe for the pool that I think the Australian Marines use. So now I have some really good swimming sessions.