Older & Wiser - Advice to younger self?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
With the benefit of hindsight, what advice would you give to your younger self?

To kick-off, my advice to myself during the primary school years:

Turns out, in later life, volcanoes & quicksand won't be as troublesome as you currently imagine.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Yep, quicksand (which always looked like porridge on the TV) didn't play a big part in my life either. So far.

1. Your perception of the passing of time will radically alter. The first ten years of life seem to drag. From age twenty onwards the decades will apparently flash past.

2. In future years you will enjoy drinking beer.

3. The adage spun by adults that 'School days are the best days of your life' is a blatant lie.

RCTJ0012

Reaction score
I would tell myself that being smart in school is a good thing, forget what the "cool kids" think.

I'd tell myself to follow my military career much younger because as much as computing interests you, it doesn't interest you that much.

Finally, save every penny you make and don't blow it on a night out when you're of age. That rainy day fund might just save your life.

mrar32

Reaction score
- Work hard in school, but remember that exam results will never dictate your path in life, that's up to you!

- Having a handful of close friends which you can trust always trumps having loads of 'friends' and the elusion of popularity.

- Ignore the attraction of materialism, spend your time and money on worthwhile experiences and travelling the world.

- Always put money on Wales winning Six Nations Championships.

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Spend less effort on worrying about how you're fitting in and people's opinion of you, and work harder on the goals you've set.

When it comes to applying, time is on your side - theres no need to rush in straight out of school or college, apply when you're fit enough, mentally and physically, and not a moment sooner. If I had taken more time to train, and applied at say 21 instead of when I did, I might not have ended up with compartment syndrome and be sitting here years later still unable to run. Might not have annoyed my RN careers advisers so much either..

Set yourself some standards and apply them to school work, just because you think your future will not rely on your grades, doesn't mean you let yourself coast through and undermine your potential.

Also, your parents aren't so different from you, cut them some slack and make an effort.

Vine

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Get in at 16, do a decent trade, square away a mortgage and set yourself up.

Broadsword55

Reaction score
Exam results and other things you need to work for don’t define or limit you but you will regret what you didn’t put 100% effort into be it fitness prep for joining the corps or effort with your friends and family.

Don’t cut your own hair, get someone else so that you can blame them.

Make a plan for your career and think out in detail how you’ll get there- something the male brain is incapable of doing till your mid 20-, be ambitious and never settle for a plan B (unless it’s your girlfriend) but remain flexible to any opportunities that are available to you.

Don’t make excuses for not doing something. Own up, get called a dick and move on.

Lastly buy cheap; buy twice.

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't do or say anything where it may be filmed or recorded.

Edit: Also, if you're going to meet up with a stranger for the first time to 'kill time' make sure to take FULL precautions.

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tell Dad to buy lots of this thing called ‘Bitcoin’.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Don’t pay to much attention in algebra and slide rule lessons at school.
I confess that I have a small collection of slide rules including the one I bought with Green Shield stamps. :)

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Am only 26 now but if I could turn back 10 years, I'd say put the correct phys in to pass out in the RMR as that was what ultimately cost me just a week before the rest of the Troop (minus another 2 lads) got their green berets.

I wouldn't change a great deal more. I did well at school and uni, and have had probably the most interesting 20s possible so far outside of the military having worked and travelled the world. I guess on that one I'd say make the most of every moment. Sometimes got complacent and took the opportunities for granted when lockdown has made me reflect that I should have done every possible little extra activity and experience etc.