Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Omfg!!!

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Stacka, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Death-Oar-Glory

Death-Oar-Glory Venerated Contributor

Lets get off 'Paras Vs Marines' and back to 'Light hearted banter'

Seriously though, well done on getting into the Rifles, everything I've heard, seen, and read, points to them being a top class infantry regiment, as proven by the fact that there aren't any other infantry regiment affiliated to RM!
    I have noticed quite a few people walking around in Civvies and a 'THE RIFLES' Sports jacket on. Personally, whilst I think it does show pride, I also feel it's a bit unnecessary.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome back to the site Stacka & best of luck with the training.

The Royal Green Jackets indeed have a very impressive history, very closely linked with the Royal Navy & Royal Marines.

The RGJ were awarded 59 VCs before they became The Rifles. (Although Wiki claims 56 for some reason).

Not a lot of people realise that the RGJ badge incorporates the Naval Crown at the base of the badge because in 1801 as the Rifle Brigade (Prince Consort's Own), detachments took part in the victory at the Battle of Copenhagen as sharpshooters aboard Royal Navy vessels under the command of Vice-Admiral Nelson. In effect they were sea-soldiers also.

Naval Crown:

[​IMG]

Royal Green Jackets Badge:

[​IMG]

3. critchmufc

critchmufc Guest

no, but from what ive been told, apart from the paras, army training is *text deleted**text deleted*

14/148 originals made it to the end of para training when my mate did it. says it all really.

4. Death-Oar-Glory

Critch, I really wouldn't go slagging off your potential future oppos training if I were you. They're British Army, almost undeniably the most professional combat soldiers in the world. The word you used to describe the army training was starred out, I therefore assume it was derogatory. By saying that, you are disrespecting every single soldier in the British army that has not done P Coy. Congratulations.

And the amount of people who passed does not say it all. Look at Commando - On the Front Line. about 6 originals of 60 I think it was passed. That does not reflect the pass rate of every troop. Nor does your 14/148.

5. Bovrilbadboy

Bovrilbadboy Valuable Contributor

Critch, you've only done a PRMC. You an expert now?

Light Infantry/Cross Rifles training isn't as high as the Paras/Marines but its still not exactly crap is it?

6. Death-Oar-Glory

Also Critch, no matter what the training is, it is only people's opinion on how good it is, whereas the evidence speaks for itsself, in that the British Army is deployed in Afghanistan, and was deployed in Iraq, on frontline duties, in combat zones, and they did a *text deleted**text deleted*ing top job. No doubt. Therefore I would argue that the British Army's training is not *text deleted**text deleted*. It is indeed, to a very high standard.

7. Bovrilbadboy

Bovrilbadboy Valuable Contributor

But do you shower before getting food or do you do your phys then walk straight into the galley, sorry cookhouse smelling of pongo?:wink:

8. critchmufc

critchmufc Guest

whos slagging them off?? if you read it youll see that i was saying they are not as good as the paras. i said from what ive been told army training is *text deleted**text deleted*(from people in the army), not my opinion as i havnt done it. so if you would please read properly and not jump to conclusions you idiot.

9. critchmufc

critchmufc Guest

again, read it, or read the post above

and the word censored was the other word for easy, not crap

and i never said it was easy (my mates words), i wouldnt say that if i hadnt done it. what i said was what you just said in there about the trianing, becuase it is true. so no it doesnt make me an expert, but that is irrelevant so if you wouldnt jump to *text deleted**text deleted*ing conclusions and all cry like girls it would be appreciated.

10. Death-Oar-Glory

Ahh Critch, always so abrasive.
    By saying their training is *text deleted**text deleted* you're inferring that they are of a low standard, which I would call slagging off. For example if I told you your football team or aqua-aerobics team's training is *text deleted**text deleted*, I'd be slagging you off, the same as if you told me my MMA training is *text deleted**text deleted*, I'd be offended.

PS. I'm sorry, but I can't resist; 'read properly and not jump to conclusions you idiot'
    Idiot? Is that a conclusion you've carefully and slowly sauntered up to?

11. critchmufc

critchmufc Guest

again your not reading it.....

i never said it was easy, my mates in the army said its easy, hence "from what ive heard"

and that doesnt mean they are a poor standard, just not as good as the paras.

i think you need to go back to school.

12. Death-Oar-Glory

Hahahahahaha, that's actually really funny, as I AM at school! And it's a Sunday, no-one's in, otherwise I'd definitely be in for those extra English lessons I so evidently need.
    So now it's not an opinion because someone who did it is saying that? Right.

13. Chicogiz

Chicogiz Veteran Contributor

Everyone just STOP. its not a forum to argue.

14. Stacka

Stacka Army Commando

Yeah the roots with the Navy are deep, and still a big part of our training. We are the only regiment that have a pass or fail swimming test.

We also do "Beach Raids" as part of our further training. Which some could argue as the definition of Commando any way.

Either way, im proud now to be a Rifleman, just as much as i would have been to be a Marine. The more I learn about our roots the more I understand as to why we have the reputation we have.

15. Stacka

Stacka Army Commando

I can assure you army training is not easy! If it was every one would do it.

16. Death-Oar-Glory

But it's funnyyyyyyyyy! :P Admittedly not easy to understand, but funny.

17. ross90rmc

ross90rmc Venerated Contributor

Peace and Love boys, Peace and Love
    [​IMG]

18. Stacka

Stacka Army Commando

Ill not discuss up and coming Op's but almost all riflemen will be going to Afghan within months after leaving training. 1st Battalion working with RM and ANP.

19. pward91

pward91 Well-Known Member

cracking effort mate with the upmost respect

best of luck with the rest of training and future tours

20. Oceans

Oceans Valuable Contributor

Well done on getting so far Stacka, the Rifles are a great regiment I would be well proud to serve with them. Hows your fitness getting on down there? It been a good crowd of guys in your troop?