On this Day - 1940

Chelonian

Reaction score
Interesting audio from the Battle of Britain
It's a cracking audio clip. But... historically there is considerable doubt that it was a JU-87 crashing into the sea as described by the narrator. Propaganda film clips were added subsequently to back up the message.

Credible sources have argued that the narrator incorrectly identified the doomed aircraft and that it was actually a British Hurricane fighter.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It's a cracking audio clip. But... historically there is considerable doubt that it was a JU-87 crashing into the sea as described by the narrator. Propaganda film clips were added subsequently to back up the message.

Credible sources have argued that the narrator incorrectly identified the doomed aircraft and that it was actually a British Hurricane fighter.
I've never actually thought of that, whenever I've been listening to/watching audio etc from wartime I've never doubted what the broadcaster is saying in my naivety.

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I've never doubted what the broadcaster is saying in my naivety.
As stated, it's arguable but if there was an error it was almost certainly genuine. The narrator was commenting from a considerable distance. The question about the identity of the downed aircraft was apparently raised after the war when RAF and Luftwaffe loss records for that day were compared.

Rover

Reaction score
If a Hurricane, why was the undercarriage down?
Also note the shape of the wings!

Chelonian

Reaction score
If a Hurricane, why was the undercarriage down?
Also note the shape of the wings!
Agreed that the final still images are of a JU-87. The original audio clip was primarily for radio broadcast; the narrator being based ashore. The images are not necessarily contemporary with the audio which is why the narrator mentions Spitfires but the image shows Hurricanes.

I'll have a dig to try and find a link to the BBC World Service Radio clip on the topic. From memory there was no suggestion of deception. Merely that the aircraft had possibly been misidentified by the narrator.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Agreed that the final still images are of a JU-87. The original audio clip was primarily for radio broadcast; the narrator being based ashore. The images are not necessarily contemporary with the audio which is why the narrator mentions Spitfires but the image shows Hurricanes.

I'll have a dig to try and find a link to the BBC World Service Radio clip on the topic. From memory there was no suggestion of deception. Merely that the aircraft had possibly been misidentified by the narrator.
The BBC mate, surprised they didn't take a knee for the innocent Luftwaffe pilot who was out and about minding his own business before being ambushed by right wing RAF thugs.

Is it correct that most of Churchill's recordings were done after the war? Some may not even be him?

Last edited: