One year until application.

YellowBelly98

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just a bit of background - I'm planning on applying for the Royal Marines as an Officer next May (that will be when I'm fully medically eligible and clear from the 4 year mark of 'asthma'). I'm currently coming to the end of my second year at uni and have been training properly for just under a year.

My question is more in regards to running/the 1.5 mile runs/POC etc. I've been upholding a generally good good level of cardio fitness however I haven't been training to my max as I haven't seen it necessary. I can currently run my 1.5 mile return in around 10:10, but like I said I haven't been focusing on improving that, I've just been focusing on general fitness, pull-ups, press-ups etc.

If I was to be successful with applying and then have my PJFT say in June 2019 with my POC following in August (estimated), when should I start fully training to ensure I get my cardio to a good standard?

Cheers all! :)

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd train from now to a target of 9 minutes for the return and double the maximum gym scores in a given period of say, 6 months and then ease off until a few weeks before testing to where the maximum scores and say a 9.30/45 was a base level that you could do with ease.

I have no idea if that's achievable or realistic but that would be my mindset.

Bear in mind that, as an internet subject matter expert, I actually have no expertise at all and may be talking bollocks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
My advice would be to talk to your AFCO well in advance of the May medical to see if the ACLO is prepared to take the risk of pre-booking you a place on POC and AIB, on the assumption you will pass the medical, PJFT & Career Discussion inteview. I personally reckon it's a bit of a long shot trying to get everything cracked for a September 2019 YO intake.

The last possible POC will probably be June & last AIB also June, July if you are lucky.

YellowBelly98

Reaction score
My advice would be to talk to your AFCO well in advance of the May medical to see if the ACLO is prepared to take the risk of pre-booking you a place on POC and AIB, on the assumption you will pass the medical, PJFT & Career Discussion inteview. I personally reckon it's a bit of a long shot trying to get everything cracked for a September 2019 YO intake.

The last possible POC will probably be June & last AIB also June, July if you are lucky.

I definitely don't think I'd be on the Sept 2019 intake - I forgot to mention I'm aiming for 2020 intake, just planning way ahead!