Online Security Clearance form

Steve_90

Reaction score
I hope not as I've verified it twice but I will give them a call anyway, thanks ninja!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
One of my colleagues discovered to his cost that there are two portals, for some bizarre reason known only to DVA, which we can access. One for internal intranet email addresses called the "RLI Portal" & the "Internet Portal" for civilian email addresses.

If a "New Subject" is raised on the internal "RLI Portal", the email is not sent and it is not visible or transferrable on the other portal.

It's a bit like Stargate....only less user friendly or logical :blink:

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
online security clearance is killing me

right so after days of trying to log on and calling my afco numerous times i finally get on to it. Now i cant even get off the first page to fill it out! the eforms loaded but it just has that sample field at the bottom and i cant get it off that page! help!

Gump

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
actually lads i sorted it! just used internet explorer instead of chrome

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just a reminder guys:

From what I've managed to discover, busy internet times can affect the ability to download the form.

Several considerations - attempt it during an off peak period (very early morning/late at night), consider connecting direct to your router by ethernet cable rather than wi-fi,

Make sure you're clicking on "SC In Progress" rather than on the individual sections as they will not load individually.

You need Internet Explorer 7 or above and Adobe Reader v 9 or above. Don't use any other browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox etc. as it may not be fully compatable.

Kentish

Reaction score
I used Safari, but as Ninja says, you're better off just using IE 7 or above.

I sent mine off 10 days ago, I've not informed the AFCO or anything, on the homepage under "status" it says in progress, should I do anything or just wait out?

kirk_harris

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Security form rant

I have some steam I need to let of I've been sitting doing this SC form online and guess what went to submit it and it comes up "bad request" on one of them pages you get when it says page cant be found. don't have a clue what is meant by that so if anyone does could you let me know.

Anyways I had to do the form AGAIN and guess what it happened AGAIN, I'm not even going to attempt to do it a 3rd time going to have a word with my CA on Tuesday. It's so annoying.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thread merged - post 46 lists a summary of tips accumulated so far, that may help.

Any further tips, solutions or problems appreciated.

kirk_harris

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks ninja will have a look. My CA did warn me about the form thought I got lucky until I submitted it.

Johnsthename

Reaction score
Ah OK, that shouldn't be too much of a problem then. 6-8 weeks ain't too bad. Just hope they get it up and running soon.

I'm definitely hoping to get clearance before PRMC because I'm hoping to go on the cancellation list instead of getting assigned a troop, which I'm guessing as you could start anytime you will need to have the clearance before you can go on that list...

Question: Cancellation list, does anyone know if you basically wait for a phone call which could take anything from a day, to a very very long time... Or have a set date behind you, but if needs be then take a place of a lad thats backed out last minute? I was hoping to be put on the same list after my PRMC next month

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Online Application for National Security Vetting

Prior to following the link in the activation email be aware busy internet times can affect the ability to download the form.

Several considerations ? attempt to complete it during an off peak period (early morning/late at night), consider connecting direct to your router by ethernet cable rather than wi-fi,

You ideally need Internet Explorer 7 or above and Adobe Reader v 9 or above. Some browsers such as Google Chrome, Firefox etc. may not be fully compatible, but most seem to work.

You will receive an email, similar to this:

[FONT=&quot]
Activation email said:
An account has been created for you on the Defence Vetting Agency portal by your sponsor. This will allow you to submit and view the status of your on-line application for National Security Vetting.

Please click on the link below or copy it to your browser to use this service.

https://www.nsv.mod.uk/registration.aspxreg=02046
[/FONT]

Please ensure you only use the above link once as this is ONLY for activation of your account

Create account: Make a Username. Your password must include 9 upper/lower case letters, a number & another keyboard symbol.

Activation page is case sensitive

Enter Town of Birth (on Birth certificate), if British - Country of Birth is: UK

[FONT=&quot]Next screen: [/FONT]
home screen said:
[FONT=&quot]You are requested to complete a questionaire in order to receive SC service. This service has been requested by AFCO Wherever

Your application's status is:
Waiting for subject actions
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ATTENTION ? Postcode lookup feature[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

This security questionnaire includes a 'Fetch Address' feature for automatic lookup of UK addresses from an entered postcode. If you wish to use this service then you will be required to grant permission for your PC to access it as per the instructions here

Please complete the form(s) below:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SC Not started[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Click here for DVA complaints procedure [/FONT]

To proceed, click SC (it stands for security clearance).
Next screen - (click on thumbnail below)

Work your way down grey buttons on the left side of the screen, starting with Vetting Statement. If you wish to exit the form & come back to it ? remember to click ?save?, bottom left button.

When re-visiting the portal make sure you're clicking on "
SC In Progress" rather than on the individual sections as they will not load individually.

Vetting statement ? Check box, I have read & accept Statement of HM Government Vetting Policy at foot of page.

Details ? complete first page, click bottom right ?Next? button (4 pages)

Current Grade/Rank/Position: Put NA (Not Applicable)
Job Title: Put NK (if Not Known- don?t use hyphens, brackets etc if you know job title)
Staff or Service Number: NK or previous service number if re-entry

Remember to add month/year of birth next to Nationality if you?ve always had the same nationality

Click ?Check for Errors? bottom left of screen

Once each section is completed, you will see the green tick next to each completed & saved section.

Address ? once each is completed, using ?fetch?, highlight & save. Last full 5 years addresses required without gaps.

Once each section is completed, you will see the green tick next to each completed & saved section ? repeat for each section.

Parents ? Both parents, last full 5 years addresses. Dates of birth required. If parents separated, both addresses required. If not in contact with one or both, Tick box if the details for this parent are
not fully known then click onAdd additional informationlink, add clarifying statement, eg: ?No contact natural Father since parents divorce in 19*text deleted*?.

HM Forces Employment - Dates of service: exact dates from/to, Rank, service & service number required including reserve forces

Employment & Supervisors ? 5 years of employment history ? all red asterisk fields must be completed. Supervisors applies to any military or government jobs in last 5 years.

Criminal Convictions- You must declare unspent AND spent convictions, this means ANY offence in ANY country(excluding parking and speeding, but including all other motoring offences even where a spot fine has been administered by the police)

Security Information ? Straightforward ? remember any political motivated demonstration which may have resulted in arrest, is included under this section.

Other Information ? Just enter honest answers, remember financial checks are carried-out.

Financial History - Again, just enter honest answers, remember financial checks are carried-out.

Declaration ? Read it, then check box ? ?I have read and accept the Declaration?

Once entire form is completed, you will see the green tick next to each completed section ? don?t exit before clicking ?submit?

Attachments

• NSV Shot.jpg
    NSV Shot.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 30

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
For those yet to experience the joy of filling out the online application form or in the process of doing it, you'll be delighted to hear I registered myself as an applicant to produce the above rough guide yesterday, in the hope of identifying common areas where people were making errors.

To be fair,the answers are actually on the screen, but there are so many answers on the screen it's difficult to see the one you want.

The tip is not to rush the form - ALWAYS save the form before exiting. Be aware the site will log you out if there are no keyboard strikes for about 10-15 minutes, so log-out if you don't want to lose data already entrered.

Don't rush the form, allow 45 mins to an hour to complete (yes, honestly!). Pre-arm yourself with details such as previous addresses, dates & postcodes, parents dates of birth, employers address etc., etc.

Best of luck.

Swordfish

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Im having a slight issue too.

When you first log in and you need to click on the link 'SC not started'.....mine doesnt say this and instead says 'Form not ready yet' in red text.....what does this mean? is there a period i need to wait until i can access it?

Swordfish

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok panic over! I checked the next day and I could access it. Managed to complete it with no major dramas. Just follow the help sheet and youl be fine.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep, it just means that the AFCO haven't completed their actions to confirm your ID.

Rowan89

Reaction score
im having a nightmare with it, been trying for months to get the thing to work and it just deletes everything when i click send and same if i try saving it. my afco cant get ahold of anyone to sort it out so dont know whats going to happen with it!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm aware there were software issues today, however if the unofficial guidance notes on this thread are genuinely followed, it really does work. Honest.

Peripheral

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think I'm having the same problem as Rowan.

If I try to save or submit the form my browser says this;

"Bad Request - Invalid Header
HTTP Error 400. The request has an invalid header name."

I then lose all my hard, tedious work.

Also, using the latest IE and Adobe doesn't even load the eForm for me. It only works if I use Firefox.

However that error explains a problem with their software and nothing to do with my browser of choice.

Is this the correct email to submit my complaint? DVA-Customersupport-GM@mod.uk

Peripheral

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
...However that error explains a problem with their software and nothing to do with my browser of choice.

Not so.

If anyone else is using Firefox and having the same problem, here is the fix;

To enable you to complete the form using Firefox when receiving the error ?HTTP error 400 Bad header request?.

The request has an invalid header name.
Open Firefox browser, make sure only one instance of the browser is open.
In address field type in ?about:config? and press enter.
Confirm that you want to open configuration screen.
In a filter field type in ?network.http.sendRefererHeader?.
Double click on the ?network.http.sendRefererHeader? item to change value, change value to ?0? and confirm by clicking ?OK?
Close the browser and open it again.

New Threads