Online Security Clearance - Last orders gentlemen, please.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
News on the street is that due to a huge backlog of applications for Security Clearance, National Security Vetting [NSV] (Formerly: Defence Vetting Agency [DVA]) have come-up with a novel idea to clear the backlog that has arisen due to significant reductions in staffing.

They're not accepting any new SC applications from 17th February until 01 April.

Whilst the outcome maybe glaringly obvious, those who have had a selection interview and have not yet started their online security clearance application are advised to do so now or contact your AFCO if you've not received the activation email to avoid delays further on down the track after passing PRMC.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This would be why I keep checking my SC to see "In progress". :( The wait is killing me!

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How would you know if your security clearance has started? I have prmc in june but as far as i know no news on this?

I know my friend has recieved the reference letter so im assuming this is the beginning of it? I don't want no hold ups if i pass prmc.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Re-joins must have full SC granted prior to entry. First-time joiners must have fully completed their online SC application before an entry date can be allocated.

First-time joiners cannot start SC until the activation email has been sent from NSV. This usually gets sent after your references have been received.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja, out of interest how long do you think it takes them to do a SC application once they start? Do they decide there and then or investigate over weeks and weeks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
To be completely honest I'm not certain how they go about prioritising security clearance, but would hope that those waiting the longest are processed in receipt order.

I've still got online applications dating back to August, but at least those dating back to May/June appear to have been cleared in the last fortnight.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So basically I could be waiting a lonnnnng time yet?...

There's a guy in my PRMC who submitted the beginning of December and was granted at the end of january, so I figured the waiting times had dropped significantly.

Anthony_H

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I submitted mine November/october and got mine back begining of Jan too.

keir8

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I submitted mine start of November not heard anything back, I guess everyone's circumstances are different, I checked experian an they had checked that though

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is it normal that i have recieved no email regarding this if my prmc is in june then? First i heard of it, i thought the stuff on my application would've been enough to run the checks?

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Same as Craig88. I submitted mine a few weeks ago but have no idea of its status. I just phoned my AFCO and spoke to someone there (couldn't talk to my CA as he's off this week) but the woman I spoke to has no idea what you're on about Ninja. But she also said it's not for me to worry about. As long as I've submitted it it's then down to you guys to make sure it gets sorted. Easy for her to say. It's me who will be held up if there's problems, not her!

Edit: Just logged into my account on NSV and it says my SC status is "Completed". Guess that means I'm fine then.

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Same as Craig88. I submitted mine a few weeks ago but have no idea of its status. I just phoned my AFCO and spoke to someone there (couldn't talk to my CA as he's off this week) but the woman I spoke to has no idea what you're on about Ninja. But she also said it's not for me to worry about. As long as I've submitted it it's then down to you guys to make sure it gets sorted. Easy for her to say. It's me who will be held up if there's problems, not her!

Edit: Just logged into my account on NSV and it says my SC status is "Completed". Guess that means I'm fine then.

I haven't had any 'account' set up though... it's the first i've heard of it. I thought all the security clearance was done without any help from me. Will ring them up when i get my prmc letter in next few days.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ross you submitted a few weeks ago and it says complete already??

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ross you submitted a few weeks ago and it says complete already??
Yeah submitted about 2 weeks ago. It says complete but I don't know if that literally just means I've completed my end and it's in their hands now, or if it means security clearance has now been granted.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It should say something like:

Application status: in progress (or completed).

And then at the bottom on the page it will say:

SC - completed (submitted on xx/xx/xxxx).

It's the application status or whatever at the top that you are looking at. That's really completed after 2 weeks ???!

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Application status (top of the page): Completed

SC (bottom of the page): Completed (submitted on 31/01/2012 22:37)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Once you've completed your online SC application your status will read "in progress".

Once your status reads "completed" it's completed.

But, beware that under Subject related forms it may read Subject's part of SC "completed" which merely means you've completed the form, not SC is completed.

My colleague in Plymouth, who I used to work with, is correct it doesn't make any difference after it's submitted but for those who haven't started SC yet, there maybe a delay due to NSV concentrating on clearing the long-standing backlog.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
:rock: jelous. Maybe yours was an easy decision.
Probably was. There was nothing in it to cause any concern. Not so much as a parking ticket in all my life. In the bit where it asked if I've ever been involved in acts of treason, I did wonder if stepping on a Queen Ant counted, but I decided to tick "no" anyway :eek:h: