Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Op Firefly 24 - Trained Rank Rejoins

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Ninja_Stoker, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Outflow has been pretty steady over the last two or three years.

To be perfectly honest (bearing in mind I'm not a recruiter), the average Royal serves around 6 years. When people leave, they usually find a hook to hang their reasons on and that hook is usually, "The fun has gone", "It's crap", "Everyone's leaving because they're threaders", "More people are leaving than ever before", etc.

Truth is, when they joined, the people going out the door were saying just that. And always have.

What tends to happen is the job itself stays pretty constant but the individual's wants and needs change over time. The job is unyielding because the name of the game is fighting wars, so if it cannot accommodate the individuals requirement for more harmony time with their new family, more money to pay the new mortgage, etc., the stark choice is "Put up or Quit". People get the hump and do just that, usually looking for reasons to be able to say "I'm glad I'm leaving, this is crap".

Upon reflection, with the benefit of hindsight, after leaving we tend to view it through rose tinted Foster Grants, forgetting the crap bits. The crap bits are still there and those dripping at the crap bits tend to shout loudest. I've yet to hear any Royal shouting from the rooftops "Meh, it's OK, s'pose". :)

2. ch301

ch301 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I left for a specific reason.. wasn’t basically getting what I wanted, lack of training, ops... pay wasn’t really a factor for me. But during my time outside I’ve thought back to the good times I had and they far outweigh the bad. If this new restructure is happening then I would say it’s also an exciting time to join. All of the lads I have quizzes on this seem to say it is, and soon!
    Ninja, would the afco still be best bet to up to date Info or get the ball rolling?

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, they'll give you the gen & get things rolling. Just remember to say you want to join under Op Firefly 24. You can defer entry until ready, I think there's one entry a month, usually the first Weds, I think but it maybe different under Firefly.

4. ch301

ch301 Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That’s great thanks for that!
    Just a few questions before I go to my appointment this Wednesday. One of the lads I know has rejoined stated that his resettlement time served gets reset. Does this just mean if I was to leave in 3 years time then my resettlement package would be as if I had only done 3 years, not including the 6/7 before hand?
    What about pension? Pay scale? Do you have an up to date pay scale that I would go back on. I can’t remember exactly but I was level 7,8 or 9 I think as a Mne when I left, about 23k.
    Also the guy on the phone said to try and grab as much info from my service records as possible from ‘pentagon house’... I understand for security you may not be able to post numbers/email on here but wouldn’t mind getting the ball rolling early on so that it’s as fast to rejoin next year as possible. Any ideas?

cheers again!

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Reply sent via pm to observe persec.