Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Operation Snake's Eye

Discussion in 'Military News and Clips' started by Old Man, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

2. MacheteMeetsBiscuit

MacheteMeetsBiscuit Member

You film it yourself, Old Man? :bigsmile:

Great find, thank you.

edit: out of interest, the SBS starring in the film, faces are clearly shown when they do that smart little trick to get out the water with the hoop and the moving vessel... considering the Troubles were quite prominent back then it surprises me there's no emphasis on PERSEC.

3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I think that this was filmed quite a few years before the Troubles started in 1969. Although the Corps was involved in other conflicts around that time, such as Aden, Borneo etc and PERSEC then was not seen so important as it is nowadays.

Alan

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Excellent find!

Pip, pip and all that.

5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Just had another look at the clip and I would reckon it's around 1959/1960. The first Unit shown are carrying the old Lee Enfield .303 rifles, whilst later on another Unit is shown with the 7.62 SLR.

I'm pretty certain that the SLR came in around the 59/60, so that along with other kit, such as the Denison Smock would date it around that time, which I think puts Borneo and Sarawak out of the picture, but brings in the Middle East more.

Seems a pattern there somewhere!

Alan

6. Batman

Batman Royal Marines Commando

Thought I'd bump this because it's fantastic.

7. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The link above no longer works, but I found this and believe it is probably of the same documentary:

• Like Like x 3