Operations: Afghanistan

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering what other lads on here think about going on operations (Most of us to Afghanistan) and everything that comes with that, what do people think about the prospect of getting injured or even dying? after all we will be frontline troops, so its only inevitable that many of us could experience it.

Personally, i don't give a damn about dying(i'm still young, don't have many responsibilities) and if i get injured, well life cover should take care of that. I just want to get out there and do my bit.

What are your thoughts?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Always have the thought that you could possibly die but, If you want to do the job you can't let it get to ya of course - so I don't. I mainly just wonder what the *text deleted**text deleted*s back ere would do... probably have a party (we use any excuse to drink anyway).
Injured would be worse... right now I cant see how people losing various body parts cope I think i'd rather have it ended, hopefully I'll never be in the position to find out.

Comes with the job, if we want to do what we want to do which is help people and get rid of some crazy *text deleted*ers, then we must prepare for such stuff.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
dont give a damn about dying??....dont be so naive/stupid.....personally i want to get out there but thats just a dumb thing to say:bud:

BoxingBroxy

Reaction score
Death?!

I wouldn't like to die, but I don't fear the possibility. If you want to be out there then you can't fear the chance of death, especially when I want to be something as special as a Royal Marine.

Admittedly, my main concern would be for my kids. I have no strong bonds or ties with anyone else to concern myself with apart from my kids. I wouldn't like to put my two boys through the rest of their lives without their Dad. But at the same time I'd rather die with their respect. I'd rather die for something than live for nothing as they say.

Kyle

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest i think fear is the worst thing we could have, i don't think the enemy is afraid of death and would use that to their advantage. I think its important to conquer our fears and have confidence in our abilities developed through training.

At the end of the day we'd be out there to do a job, hence why we're mauled in training to prepare is for it, it definately is a state of mind.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Fear is not to be feared
Fear is Edge
Fear keeps you on your toes
Fear Keeps one eye open when you sleep
Fear adds caution to courage
Conquer fear and fear is not your foe
Fear is your friend

Taken from my royal marines poster

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Of course, that is what they are trained to do. Like someone said 'Every soldier hopes for a war in his life time'.

For me there is an inexplicable pull towards fighting in combat, covered in dust and in the burning sun of the desert where young people burn out their lives. It captures something to me that I want to experience in life, though it may seem strange to other people.

While I do think it is naive to say 'I don't give a damn about dying', it's just not something I think about, it doesn't hold my mind. But I'm in no hurry to die, with so many things that life offers.

I don't think fear is to be rejected. It is a natural reaction towards danger. What sets you apart is your ability to overcome that fear. Absence of fear means you are missing part of your humanity, and without that you should not be a soldier.

Because they could stand that these were not monsters. These were men... trained cadres. These men who fought with their hearts, who had families, who had children, who were filled with love... but they had the strength... the strength... to do that. If I had ten divisions of those men our troubles here would be over very quickly. You have to have men who are moral... and at the same time who are able to utilize their primordial instincts to kill without feeling... without passion... without judgement... without judgement. Because it's judgement that defeats us.

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
touchstone you pretty much summed up my opinion exactly....:applaus:

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you should'nt be joining unless u have accepted the fact that i might happen to u but once you have accepted it you should put it to the back of your mind. thats what seperates soldiers from other men, we know the risks but we will not be ruled by fear :rock:

marine_shull

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
thts like saying i want to be a dentist but dont want to see teeth everyday *text deleted* it scares me...

easy as its part of the job.

seb

S

Sotiris

Well..teeth don't do as much damage as bullets..

Guys...you talk to any soldier who has ever gone into combat and they all were all scared.

They don't train you to be fearless. Where did all this sh!t come from??? They train you to deal with fear, to be able to control it.

I think it's actually an insult to any service man to say "fear has no place". Hell what is bravery but overcoming fear?

I can't really believe people believe this! Just read any book about any battle and you'll quickly see how scared everyone is...

S

Sotiris

Exactly, "conquering fear" doesn't mean being fearless. It means standing up to it and performing anyways.

Standing up to fear and doing your job is glorious.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Indeed sir, fear will never go, unless your on some kind of drug and intoxicated anyway.

Hollywood liieess, who would of thought ? :frown:

brummielad

Reaction score
At first, it really used to put me off. But i ve got over it now in a way, i just think to myself dont worry about it untill you get there. I will worry about afghanistan when i step foot off the plane and i remember all the training i did and be excited to put it into practise. No one wants to die, or lose limbs or watch mates die and be injured. Every solider will have in the back of his mind hoping he has a good tour. Im more excited about nailing some of them to be honest that overcomes any fear i have. If i did die, well what better way to die than trying to rid the world of the taliban, in a war, and fighting for my country, family, friends, fellow marines. To me that is a better death than getting old and having nothing to look back on and the most proud achievment was printing paper or shifting boxes. Whereas a life in the corps, i beleive will offer me the sence of achievement that i am SOMEBODY that im looking for. Its not for everybody, 90 per cent want a normal average joe life and fair play thats for them. But its not for me and hopefully i can become a Royal Marine.

As marine williams said, " i would rather go at 30 with stories to tell, than live till 60 and have nothing to look back on"

:biggrin:

Sob story i know just my feeling and thoughts :rock:

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Death is, unfortunately, something that we must all face. Everything ends. Dieing in combat as a soldier is like ending a show with a huge bang. Its the end, so you won't care.

As a little kid, I always thought dieing for your country in the army, as some Rambo guy would be cool, you'd be remembered, you would be respected, and I'd do my loved ones proud. But, as I have gotten older and matured, I have become more aware of death, the consequences, and impact it has on other people.

God bless you RMCs, everyone of you *text deleted*.

New Threads