Operations and Joining Questions...

Azza01

Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question, what are the rules about having operation of the non severe side of things like broken legs etc? More on the side of superficial/corrective surgery *text deleted* i have a small lump in my left pec and its not a tumor or any thing and it cant really be noticed unless i put my arm in the air and pull it back etc but it bugs me a bit, but if i can get it removed why not?, only problem is how would this affect entry? ive got my medical and interview a week 2moz. The recovery is ment to be mild e.g. dont do anything for 6 weeks but you can pretty much do stuff after like 2/3 apparently.

Also on the same idea what if you pass and are a marine and want to have something liek this done out of interest how would it work, would you have to book time off or not allowed unless its unavoidable?

Cheers!

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a bit of grizzle to me, should be no problem. Duno bout medical though.

Tom_B

Reaction score
See i am going through the same dilemma at the moment, I have a plate over my 5th metacarpel in my left hand. I am desperate to get this out at the plate is actually broken and the bone underneath fully healed.

The re-coup time would be around 6 weeks to then be able to start light weights off that hand although i could still maintain CV excercise during that time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you have not started to application/joining process i would get that sorted first but Ninja would probably be able to tell you better later, that sounds narly to me, and if you have talk to your carreer officer taking you. They ask you at your medical about past injuries and might have to ring your GP up and talk to them ask if it will hinder you etc.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Generally speaking, you may have wait between 6-12 months after surgery, depending on the nature of it and whether it is considered significant or minor, before you can be passed medically fit. Very minor surgery may not affect your fitness for entry.

Ultimately the Medical Examiner is the person who will give you definitive advice.

Azza01

Reaction score
Hmmm yeah its awkwards because im applying now etc but thave the interview etc next week, i guess i could just ask the guy doing the medical to see what he says, and from there i can make a descision based on that, may actually try ringing up the marine phone line to see what they say, ill reply here if its any help when i get hold of them...

[EDIT] Well I just phoned my local one and another near to and none of the their medical examiners are there till tuesday and thursday *text deleted*, so il lring back then i guess...

New Threads