Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Opinions on joining age!

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by OCH73, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Collieryboy

Collieryboy Member

Imagine your dad calling you a seahat or cabbagehead haha

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. But at least your lad has the benefit of your experience and of the comments expressed above by subject matter experts. He's in a good place to make a properly informed decision.

The world really is his lobster. But if he's as impatient as I was at age sixteen he'll probably just go for it.

If your lad is not academically inclined (like what I was) has he considered military preparation colleges or similar public service college courses? Mixed opinions about them have been expressed on the forum but they certainly work for some.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OCH73

OCH73 New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Yep I was impatient too, this is where he gets it from!
    Unfortunately we’re not local to a MPCT. Having looked into it, there is one in Eastbourne where his grandparents live, which would mean staying with them for the 4 days a week which is fine, he’s spoken to the college who have advised him he could go there for the summer before signing up! Not really helped and what I was hoping for, I was thinking a year at least. But any time their maybe beneficial and may sway him to stay at the college a bit longer.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Many youngsters are thoroughly sick of education by age fifteen because education is all theoretical. But a youngster with a defined career goal might be motivated to get stuck into it and to make the education system work for him or her. They need to switch from being a child to an adult and become proactive.

For example: Duke of Edinburgh's Award. Does his school participate? If not why doesn't he promote it and try to make it happen? The challenge will be equal to lying in a pebbly puddle on Woodbury Common.

For sure, one doesn't need GCSEs to enlist but advancement in rank might well require them.

Please excuse me preaching to the converted. Just throwing ideas into the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OCH73

OCH73 New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Appreciate the suggestions.
    It’s something worth looking into.

All these comments, opinions and suggestions are much appreciated from everyone, I will show him and have a good chat, you never know it may help. If not and he’s still adamant on joining then I will support him and probably be back for more advise :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Louise

Louise Active Member

I am with those that suggest waiting until at least 18 because the stress of recruit training on a body that is still growing is enormous. Does he meet the required weight yet as that is partly what delayed my son's entry ?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 4
  8. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

@OCH73 hi there! Nice to see you on here! The Pongo contingent is growing! As has been mentioned by @Caversham my son joined at just gone 17, and actually did all his prep PJFT, PRMC etc at 16. He was too young, whilst physically fit enough(he could do press-ups and pull ups all day, and run a sub 9 min BFT no problem) it was the load carrying element and bottom field elements of RT that became his personal challenges!

He got a horrendous knee infection at week 20 which set him back 4 weeks, then, due to a massive Bergen and the gun, coupled with a few hundred link at week 22 he fractured his foot, which caused him to spend 5 months in Hunter. He passed out in the end and did extremely well overall. His dogged determination and extreme mental toughness got him through. And I’m extremely proud of the Marine he is today! Very driven, motivated and proud of his unit, and his Green lid!

I remind him everytime I see him to be proud of what he’s achieved, and to look in the mirror everytime he puts his lid on and to take a moment to tap himself on the back. What he went through to get it was truly horrific. I used to go down on weekends as often as I could, to stuff him with food, give him a bit of sport massage, and just force him to sleep and rest in our B&B! I could see him rapidly loosing weight, looking ill almost, as his body was regressing at certain points of training. Namely the build up to bottom field passout and the Commando phase of training!!

If you ask him however, he wouldn’t change a single thing! This is what he wanted and he’s happy now where he is, and sees his journey through CTC as a necessary sacrifice to his ultimate goal. So from his perspective he wasn’t too young. From mine it was, but he was lucky! Many more are not.

I suspect however you will have no chance of stopping him, but maybe a quiet word with his AFCO to drag things out a bit may not go amiss?

All the very best!!

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 4
  9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Everyone’s different but if didn’t join up at 16 then my life would be very different. And I would have no doubt ended up in trouble.

• Like Like x 7
  10. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    'A mother is only ever as happy as her unhappiest child'. Parenthood sucks!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

True. As a Dad, I only pay attention to the happy one. No point everyone being miserable.:)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Ha ha! I was going to include 'Dads', but came to the same conclusion!:D

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. R

R Well-Known Member

Has he finished school? He may join now, fly through RT, then find himself busy in the job and not educationally qualified to promote regardless of how well he has been reported on. The RM is ment to be a meritocracy, however its not, and I can add he wont be promoted until he is older again as he is young. If hes under age their wont be much appetite to deploy him either.

Oh yeah, fun times! My parents responded to this with Misdirection, and it worked, I had a gap year before uni, travelled, changed environment, made a travel plan, taught me alot about budget and reacting to different people with some independance. Might be worth suggesting?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If he's under 18 he cannot be operationally deployed, but to be fair, allowing for the training pipeline and potential delays along the way, he won't be far short of age 18 when he reaches a unit in the majority of cases.

• Like Like x 1
  15. R

R Well-Known Member

True, I should have clarified as I ment exercise deployments aswell, I've seen company hierarchy would rather not have the duty of care of a minor when it comes to run ashore on end ex.

16. yompherinthe~@!"

yompherinthe~@!" New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Id kick him out for a while (in the nicest way possible!) - mum did that to me as soon as i passed my gcses and i cant thank her enough for it - I know nothing of parenting - but i do know that being forced to stand on your own two feet and earn a living through a part time job or apprenticeship is far better than any fitness training at 16!

Something I was almost guilty of was joining to soon - I know that I would never in a million years get my lid had i applied at 15 years 9 months - ( your son may be able to pass with flying colours as of now but another opinion on the table cant hurt anyone)

P.S I am 17 and realise now that Id rather do it correctly once even if it takes a bit longer - rather than failing first time and learning the hard way! I dont think I know any people aged 16 or 17 (BAR yours truly) that i would put money on getting thier lid first time (doesnt mean they dont exist)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  17. MumtoRM

MumtoRM Moderator

You are a rare breed then! As a mother there is no way I would have done that to my child, even if it did appear to be in their best interests.

Support them and let them grow and be there for them when (if!) it ever goes wrong.

Besides, it would probably have cost us even more money to do that! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  18. yompherinthe~@!"

yompherinthe~@!" New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    :):D I think the point was it cost her less money! life is life. But lets not digress from the thread

19. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Couldn't agree more @MumtoRM ! I remember attending a 'getting ready for parenthood' class, just before our nod was born, where a new parent speaker spoke of the trauma of becoming a Dad and looking forward to his baby growing up and leaving home! There were frequent days when we also felt that, but the funny thing was that as our nod grew closer to that day, the less we wanted him to leave. Now that he is nearly 20 I wish he was here to offer advice to his fourteen year old sister who has taken up the crown of 'Miss Teenage Queen'! And as for them costing less when they leave home...still waiting on that one!o_O;):)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  20. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I think if there was an actual real life parenting class telling you the whole truth I don’t think there would be half as many children born....... it would have put me off for life if I knew know what it was like..........I just keep telling myself when I’m old then the roles will change it will be their turn to look after me and worry :D