Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Opinions on joining age!

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by OCH73, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Just hope mine have learnt to cook by then!:D

2. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Siht I forgot about that part, looks like a life of pizza for me then with an occasional Mac Donald’s chucked in if Ive been good :confused:

3. yompherinthe~@!"

yompherinthe~@!" New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I was just stating my experiences, I'm only a little bit older than och73's son, cant harm him to have every option and their pros and cons explained.

4. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    As parents it is our duty to ensure that our children have 'wings to fly and a huge net in case of catastrophies'!:)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  5. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    And copious amounts of money to bail them out!!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. yompherinthe~@!"

yompherinthe~@!" New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    there is many ways to skin a cat!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Luxury! My son's speciality de maison is spice soup. Recipe: add every spice he can lay his hands on, in vast quantities, to passata. Serve.-vomit-

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  8. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    *text deleted* that sounds revolting but something mine would do too

9. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    It's gone down in the history books..:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. LG1664

LG1664 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    There’s quite a few 16 year olds in my troop just now and a couple of them are doing really well. I think one of the main struggles for us young lads is not being used to the admin and being away from home for a long period of time. A lot of it is just a mind game.

• Like Like x 5
  11. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Which troop are u in?
    Good luck to u

12. LG1664

LG1664 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks very much, I’m in 276 troop

• Like Like x 1
  13. lilsis

lilsis Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Brill hope it all goes well

• Like Like x 1
  14. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My nod is 275. He's just 19, and said the first few weeks were mentally, physically and emotionally, the hardest he has ever encountered. However, now he is up to week 8 he uses words like 'mint', 'hoofin', and 'actually quite fun' (?!). He is probably delirious from lack of sleep...
    Wishing you success on your journey and hope it's 'mint' for you, too!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Very true.

When I was 13 and my brother 15, unbeknown to us our Mum was seriously ill with cancer, undergoing chemotherapy. My Dad sent us camping for six weeks on our own in a remote part of deepest, darkest Wales. We had the time of our lives, it was something we had always wanted to do and we were completely oblivious of the gravity of the situation.

It probably seems odd by modern standards & possibly even considered child abuse, but we learnt more about life and looking after ourselves & each other in that six weeks than many people could ever hope to experience at that age.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Box

Box Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Gosh @Ninja_Stoker, that really would have been a pivotal moment. How very brave ( and insightful) of your father. The temptation to smother a child with protective love can prevent that child from becoming resilient and discovering just how capable they are. I am guessing that you and your brother returned home closer, more independent and better placed to support your parents when they needed it most.
    Insofar as modern day judgements go, 'they' can go back to their safe, predictable environ. Children need to be a part of the world they inhabit, and that isn't found in a cacooned upbringing.

• Like Like x 2
  17. OCH73

OCH73 New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Wow, some really interesting opinions and stories here! A good mix.
    How times change! When I was 16 and failed my exams with no interest in education, my Dad marched me down the army office and signed me on whether I liked it or not, muttering the best place for me, I hated him for it at the time but it’s the best thing he could have done for me in my opinion. God knows where I’d be now if he hadn’t. And I’ve come out of it giving me a great career after I left. However... times have changed (that was 30 years ago mind)
    I wouldn’t dream now of forcing my lad with or without good grades, but I can try and guide him in his choices and all these comments will certainly help.

• Like Like x 6
  18. westy

westy Well-Known Member

If all else fails and you can’t change his mind, perhaps start looking at mobility and prehab work to try and protect his body as much as possible! And maybe a pint of milk a day for extra bone strength?

19. Pogorabbit

Pogorabbit Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My son passed out last November a week after his 24th birthday, in the same troop were two lads, 16 and 17 years old. I remember having a chat with them at pass out and I was so impressed they had achieved so much at such a young age, their main regret during training was that they couldn't go to the pub with the others when they went into town

20. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Whos the other one? Theres one in depot thats all i know. Got a lot of messages from guys training for prac which is great to help