Opinions on the Iraq War

J

Jason_A

I've been having a discussion about this, and would like to hear some of your opinions on it.

Some agree, some don't.

My opinion: The war in Iraq was, and is, necessary.

People have said things like:

It has been said that the Iraq war has strengthened terrorism around the globe

I don't see how that can happen, it would increase even more if we did nothing.

So, what's your opinion. Let us know!

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
the war itself had nothing to do with terrorism initially. now it does, because it has been conducted in such an appalling way it encourages extremism (arresting Iraqi men then releasing them 3 months later due to mistaken identity, bad press on the few soldiers out there that act like d*ckheads etc), or more accurately the after effects of the war. there's a great book called assassin's gate if anyone wants to read up about it. goes into detail about the ideas behind the war and why the 4th stage wasn't planned properly.

smallzy

Reaction score
Well Saddam Hussein is dead so we've done one good thing. Next stop North Korea.

J

Jason_A

Of course it did. 9/11 -- that was the "final" push in us going to war. We definitely went in there under false pretences, there were no WMD and the weapons inspectors has already told the governments that, but were brushed aside, 'cause it didn't fit in with the US/UK governments plans. In other words we were deliberately lied to.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Of course, invasion of a predominantly Islamic country is going to be met with hostility from people of same faith. You can see how easily they use propaganda to make us look bad, as white westerners occupying their country.

The mood of the populace can quite easily change and it is a large breeding ground for extremist organisations. So yes I think it has helped fund terrorism.

J

Jason_A

When will the west learn, you cannot impose democracy on places that don't want it.

Hell, the Russians couldn't solve the Afghanistan problem, and I don't think we will either.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
When will the west learn, you cannot impose democracy on places that don't want it.

Hell, the Russians couldn't solve the Afghanistan problem, and I don't think we will either.

You don't know that for sure.

It will literally take decades to see the impact western occupation and aid has had on the country.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Of course it did. 9/11 -- that was the "final" push in us going to war
are you serious? i take it you're not aware that at the time Al-Qaeda had no presence in iraq, it wasn't until 2004 they did. 9/11 realistically had nothing to do with it as wolfowitz (one of bushes amin advisers at the time) later admitted. as i said read up on it, assassin's gate is a cracking start.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I think Saddam did an outstanding job as leader of that country. Yes his methods were extreme but believe me lads, read the history of iraq and you will see the guy did an amazing job.

Oh and before anyone says anything dumb like "Are you mad, he gassed the kurds!" Well Winston Churchill did the same thing to the kurds in WW1, but you don't here many people mention that.

I could go on, but if you really want to form an educated opinion read this book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1403971447/ref=cm_rdp_product_img You won't be sorry.

Knockton

Reaction score
Personally I think Saddam did an outstanding job as leader of that country. Yes his methods were extreme but believe me lads, read the history of iraq and you will see the guy did an amazing job.

Oh and before anyone says anything dumb like "Are you mad, he gassed the kurds!" Well Winston Churchill did the same thing to the kurds in WW1, but you don't here many people mention that.

I could go on, but if you really want to form an educated opinion read this book. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1403971447/ref=cm_rdp_product_img You won't be sorry.

True, but he was a *text deleted**text deleted* who had it coming in my opinion

and saying that Hitler did i reet job with germany, brought them out of economic downfall but he shoulda been brought down when we had the chance to do so instead of letting him become a threat, like iran are gna be soon :S

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
True, but he was a *text deleted**text deleted* who had it coming in my opinion

and saying that Hitler did i reet job with germany, brought them out of economic downfall but he shoulda been brought down when we had the chance to do so instead of letting him become a threat, like iran are gna be soon :S

Yea but, theres far worse situations we've been too pussy to get involved with, we failed to stop one genocide, we're doing crap all about another, and we're letting a country go to *text deleted**text deleted* (zimbabwe). Iraq was a stable state at least, some people got buggered over but not as bad as in Iran even.. but politics aye?

Oh but as a friend has said to me more than one occasion:

We have the power to invade and change, why not?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Bit of a bad combination there... shame this country IS so damn democratic sometimes, groups like that should be banned from forming.
All good and saying free speech should be valued and they are voicing theirs, but the things they are uniting for are just wrong for many reasons, aside from it being a threat to real democracy and civilised thinking.

*text deleted* love the muslim council of britain, seems every "minority" group needs one and has to make itself stand out.
Can't people just be people and not identify each other with faith / colour / belief? Ah thats asking to much, bugger it....