Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.
  1. stuartc1268

stuartc1268 New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi folks, my 15 year old son was declined today at his tele medical as he wears custom orthotics. He is pain free and runs 10/15k 2/3 times a week. The careers office told us we can appeal and we are awaiting a letter from his podiatrist that will confirm he is fit and able. Does anyone know whether the appeal is worthwhile or is it a flat no regardless of what the podiatrist says. It seems that if the insoles were non prescribed then there would have been no issue. I’ve a very upset and disappointed 15 year old this evening who would love to know where he stands or might stand on this. He has trained extremely hard and was looking forward to PMRC. I’d welcome you’re comments.

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Unfortunately, as your son has found out, prescribed orthotics are a bar to entry. The stupid thing is that anyone starting RT could be prescribed them by CTC and could go through RT wearing them. Again, the stupidity is that once CTC have prescribed them, if that person subsequently left RT, then they would not be allowed to re-enter. Why? I have no idea at all.

Others more knowledgable than me will advise you about any appeal process, but I believe that the only grounds would be that the original diagnosis was wrong, not the rules themselves.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. riffa1996

riffa1996 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi there, I used to wear custom orthotics until I was around 16-17, I think, at which point the podiatrist told me that there was no real NEED for me to wear them anymore and to continue doing so would be at my own free will. I had my medical a while back and no one batted an eyelid at my history with the podiatrist.

I currently where an off the shelf pair of orthotics when I run, just for that added support, and I've been cleared for my PRMC.

Maybe, talk with the podiatrist first and see if they are crucial to your lads feet still, as if they are you will most likely still be in the same position.

4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

As referenced by @Caversham the issue is prescribed orthotics rather than custom orthotics. A major problem will arise if a medical professional has diagnosed and prescribed orthotic insoles and recorded the prescription on one's medical records.

5. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

@stuartc1268 - Here is the book (JSP950) answer that Capita asses against:

Candidates with minor conditions that allow the usage of normal footwear (and simple off-the-shelf orthotics if necessary) and are asymptomatic during activity comparable with military training for 3 months may be graded L2. However, candidates who require custom-made footwear and/or orthotics are to be graded P8L8.

L2 means that a medical marker would be placed against the individual , so med are aware if anything further happens - in a nut shell

P8 - Not fit for service the L8 refers to the affected part of the body (limbs).

While you can appeal , if you think you have a incorrect diagnosis or a wrong decision was made , you cannot appeal the actual standard it is set against. While i get the podiatrist bit , the fact a civvy podiatrist says he is good to go will hold little water..as to be frank what does your average civvy podiatrist know about Royal Marine training , i would suggest very little.

The main issue with orthotics is not really the feet , it a a musclo-skeletal connectivity issue..the removal of them could and often does lead to tendon issue in the lower leg , issues with the pelvis and lower back as they may alter due to a differing gate , and when high weight load carries are added it can equate to a problem that causes real long term damage.

The above may not be what you lad or indeed you want to hear , but it is the reasoning behind the rules (they do need updating.!!) but the appeal route is open to you if you wish to follow it through.

• Like Like x 3