Osgood Schaltters disease.....medical

deano-84

Reaction score
osgood schlatter disease

alrite lads i had osgood schlatter disease when i was in school,
now im older it doesnt affect me in anyway, but i still have the bumps under my knees. just wonderin if anyone knows if this would stop me from getting in
cheers

Joe

Reaction score
as far i can tell from my application etc, providing it doesnt affect you know and wont affect you in the future... it shouldn't be a problem.

I dont know exactly... but im sure someone can tell you for sure...

deano-84

Reaction score
cheers mate i no for sure it wont affect me just have to see what happens,
anyone who can confirm it for me though in mean time?
cheers

Point

RM Officer Recruit
Reaction score
Speak to your doctor and your AFCO. I guess if the doctor clears you then you might be ok, but you should check with the AFCO first.

Leedham

Reaction score
Ive passed 3 medicals (non for RM tho, there were for boxin) told the doctor that i had it, n every time they just said oh that doesnt matter its nothing serious... so you should be reet

ringo

Reaction score
i had this disease wen i was in school and i just grew out of it. ive got a lump under my right knee still but it doesnt giv me ne problems. i think ull be ok. not alot to worry about.

james.sheff

Reaction score
osgood sclatters disease

i have noticed on another thread that joint diseases can bar entry into the marines...
i had osgood sclatters when i was about 14 and have not had any problems with it for around 7 years now, i just have the lump of bone remaining just below my knee cap.
would this prevent me joining even tho it is no longer a problem for me!?

Marc063

Reaction score
Alright

I've applied for the Royal Marines, and was wondering if anyone had/has Osgood Schaltters disease in their knees. If so could you tell me if you were allowed on the PRMC and stuff.

Cheers

Dan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had it for about 2-3 years when I was younger, didn't really affect me unless I was sitting down and had something restricting me from stretching my leg once every 15-20 minutes.

I can't see it being serious enough to deter you from selection (unless it affects your training in any way).

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I had it when younger, if you can get through pain I aint seen anywhere saying you cant. It's not a physical impairment as such.

M

MTW

yea tyou can go through it, i had it ages ago, then the assault course tunnels set it off, but its aint nothing really, it cant stop you running and *text deleted**text deleted* like that, you just cant knee someone in the face or something, which you probably shouldnt need to do *text deleted*.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Basically it's the Medical Examiners call whether you can be passed fit for service. There are certain conditions which are a complete bar to entry, others are assessed. I'm not qualified to give categoric medical advice, however:

You need to be aware (apologies for doom prophecy!) that if an existing or known ailment arises/flares-up or becomes apparent during the first 56 days of phase one recruit training, you may be discharged on medical grounds.

That said, I'd advise you to apply or you'll never know. Your previous medical history will be checked to confirm the last time it affected you, how severe & whether you can be considered fit for entry. Bear in mind the Medical Examiner wants you to pass, however, it's all a case of risk assessment.
Best of luck.

Holty92

Reaction score
osgood schlatters disease

i have osgood schlatters disease which is where a small lump of bone grows just below the knee on the upper tibia. it used to cause me pain when i first got it but now it doesn't bother me, will this condition stop me from joining the royal marines,
thanks

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there mate, welcome to the forums.

Obtained from the Royal Navy website:

"The Armed Forces require anyone who joins to be medically fit to serve worldwide. New entrants to the Armed Forces undergo intensive training which is physically demanding and mentally taxing. New entrants must be of a robust constitution and free from disease or pre-existing injury to meet this challenge. If you do decide to apply and your application is accepted, you will be required to pass a full medical examination. Your application will be rejected if you fail to meet the minimum acceptable medical standard for entry. Before a Medical Officer examines you, you are asked to declare certain information about your medical history to identify obvious medical conditions for which rejection is automatic. Please note that your application will be rejected if:
You suffer from Epilepsy
You suffer from Diabetes
You suffer or have suffered from Asthma in the past four years
You suffer from Colitis, Crohns Disease, or any other long standing bowel disorder or have had your spleen removed
You have ever had a detached retina or corneal transplant
You suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis, or any other bone or joint disorders

You did say though that it doesn't cause you any problems any more, and the bit in bold (I highlighted it) says if you suffer in the present, not in the past.

I'm not 100% sure if you are barred from entry, but I think you stand a pretty good chance. Ninja_stoker will know though, he always has an answer.

billybambino

Reaction score
i just wouldnt tell them if it doesnt bother you anymore, loads of the lads for the RAF were bull*text deleted**text deleted*ting about alergies nd stuff, and they just ticked no for everything

Dansusername

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yep its all good!
I had it at school and had to stop running, sports etc for a while.
24 years old now, have bumps on knees which can sometimes be sensitive, I havnt suffered from it since school though and recently passed medical, although I did have to wait a few weeks for a result which was nerve racking!

Good luck!

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys I've got Osgood-Schlatters Disease in my right knee i got it from doing gymnastics about 5 years ago. if anyone isn't familiar with it is a condition where the bony protrusion below the knee called the tibial tuberosity or tubercle becomes inflamed, painful and swollen and is common in young athletes. As i said ive had it for 5 years and originally it used to hurt an prevented me training but a year later its fine and till this day its fine but i still have the lump below my knee cap, i forgot to mention it to the doc on my medical and i duno how it will cope with RT. its fine with training im doing now, anyone got this who has completed basic?
Youre best off announcing it now mate, if you with hold anything that can be a bar in itself.

JakePRMC

Reaction score
I had this so bad about 5 years ago myself and didnt have this diagnosed and when through the pain of it. I played cricket for my school and the ball got smacked right into it I thought I was going to die becuase it hurt so bad. Doesnt hurt now at all but I have a huge lump below my knees(this is both knees). Because I never went to a doctor im not going to declare this on my medical but im sure they will pick it up because it is pretty obvious. I cant see it being a problem now at all during RT.

Exzes

Reaction score
Its an entirely common ailment amongst most young people and will remain as a protrusion for life. But after your teen years, when the initial issues subside, then that's it in terms of the effect it will have on your health and fitness.

For those who are yet to have their medicals I'd say mention it. Many people on this board have done so and it has caused no issue in their check ups as far as I'm aware.

For ease of mind, it can't really hurt letting your Careers Officer know.

R

Resigned Account

Osgood Shaletter - worried

I have my medical next wednesday, and im got a concern with my knee i have Osgood Schlatter in my left knee but it doesnt cause me any pain anymore i forgot ive had it but it may be a cause for concern with the medical any helpers?