Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Other ranks to officer

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by springbok, Dec 17, 2018.

1. springbok

springbok New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I have thought about trying to join as an officer but would rather not :)
    However I know that I could corp commission and have just gone through a couple other threads regarding this but wanted to know if there is any set time to serve as other ranks before requesting corp commission?
    On a similar note could an officer 'uncommission'?? like just become a commando not an officer through the corps or would they have to leave and reapply as other ranks, not that many officers would do this

2. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

There are only a couple of Corps' Commissions each year. Competition is very fierce. I don't believe there is a set time, but is usually early in a career. My understanding is that you cannot revert. If you don't make the cut as a YO then you're out.

The advice that we tend to give is if you want to be an officer then join as one.

Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

@Caversham @Ninja_Stoker How fierce is competition for senior corp commission? Something I’m thinking about more and more when the time comes. Not sure how many ranks go across each year but I know that roles are limited to G1 and G4

4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I really don't have a clue, but I would guess it's quite fierce. You used to have be a stripey as a minimum, but things may have changed. Hopefully @Ninja_Stoker or @Illustrious can point you in the right direction.

Good luck

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If going for YO (CC) and starting day one, week one, there's usually 2-3 in each batch (from all 3 services) to a maximum of 5. Somethings you have to bear in mind, unlike OR, the YO batch in my experience, have a different ethos inasmuch as they all have to excel and stand out from their peers which is bloody difficult when your peers are all high calibre. There is still obviously team spirit but one that my that struck me is it's quite cutthroat - you have to be brutally honest with each other and expect your peers not to be backward in coming forward when debriefing each others perceived shortcoming. I found it eye-wateringly honest but it certainly doesn't strike me as a nurturing or mentoring style of leadership, when in YO training. Some people struggle with that aspect - I know I would.

Senior Corps Commissions are more common, think there's about a dozen or so a year, these are the guys who are SNCOs, over age 25 and who will do a short course (11 week???) and subsequently employed in G1/G4 admin support roles (AO, Logs, Training etc., ) Competition is nowhere near as fierce and you'll already have JCC & SCC under your belt as an NCO so your SJARs will reflect your potential for Commission anyway....as long as you have the academics.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I know more SNCOs that went for it than younger lads.

It’s not really something you aim for, a lot ofnit seems to be right place and right time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rover

Rover Moderator

One thing that did put some from going for a commission was that you were then commissioned to be an MTO or Imprest Holder.

A number of years ago there was a lack of suitable officers for the SBS. In fact a few although failing selection being taken on due to a shortage of good officers. This on occasion leading to ‘complaints’ from members to the OCSB.

Then common sense prevailed. Those SC1’s qualified for a commission would still serve in the SBS and not be drafted as an MTO or Imprest Holder. So retaining years of knowledge and experience.

Problem solved. At least six new SB officers with a few ‘others’ tending to resign.

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Back in the day I understand that it was not unknown for Recruits to pass Admiralty Interview Board while at CTCRM, pass out, and then commence YO training with the same year's Batch.

As one ages the prospect of maximising salary and pension benefits might make SCC a more attractive proposition than when younger. A neighbour who had probably spent much of his RAF career walloping helicopters with big hammers applied for and gained a commission for those very reasons.