Othotic Inserts

ringo

Reaction score
Feet

Ever since i was born i have always had flat feet. Over the years (im 20 now) i have worn in steps in my shoes to create an arch in my foot. This worked brilliantley and it is hardly noticeable now. I have absolutely no problems with my feet regards to training and i never suffer with pain or anything like it.

Reading the medical section in the application form they give you it says any one with feet irregularities e.g. (club foot or hammer toe) but doesn't say anything about flat feet.

Now does anyone know if this will effect my chances of getting into the marines? has anyone had a similar problem? if not how can i find out? i have asked everyone i can (careers officer, phoned the helpline) but i cannot get an answer. Can anyone shed some light on this?

For anyone who doesn't know what this condition is, its when the instep of your foot (or arch) is lower than most. From the back it looks like your feet are dropping inwards.

Thanks, Ringo

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I think the reason no-one can give a definitive answer is that it depends on the degree to which it affects the individual. If you're flat-footed my understanding is you're more susceptible to shin-splints.

Again, rather than ask those who can only give an opinion, the person to ask directly is the Examining Medical Officer as they are the only individuals that can give a correct answer & it is rather irrelevant what anyone else may think.

The very best of luck.

ringo

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. i will look into trying to get hold of a medical examiner. i did think that it would be due to the degree of how bad it is. Although i have never suffered from shin splints and i didn't know that you could get it from flat feet.

Cheers

Lloydy101

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i to have had flat feet all my life! but they have never affected me!!

i really want to know too if this will effect me joining the Royal Marines...

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
ive got flat feet and i told the medical woman for some stupid reason because i didnt know it could stop me *text deleted* in and she said it was fine and laughed

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
what you had a women!! i wish i do next week ;)

ringo

Reaction score
glad im not the only one!! i didn't really know how common/uncommon this condition was. but by the sounds im pleased that it shouldn't affect my chances.

thanks all :)

Dan2508

Reaction score
Hello my flat footed friends I to am flat footed and i managed to get through infantry training in caterick without any problems. Just hope I can do the same for commando training, I know it's *text deleted* be a hundred times tougher.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i have the same mate, all my shoes are worn down like inwards, i wouldent let it affect you though as ive bin playing football at professional level it has never affected me

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Flat Foot?

I know years ago you couldn't get in the forces if you were flat footed is this still the case? My cousin is intrested to know.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There are differing degrees of incapacity through flat-footedness & it is not necessarily a definitive bar to entry as in days of yore, depending on whether it is easily corrected.

The best bet is for him to talk with the Medical Officer via your local AFCO. Put simply- it could go either way.

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
A freind of mine got into RT not long ago. After about 6 weeks of running in normal boots he was in agony from flat feet. Gave him lots of problems in the legs and back,and he eventually had to leave. Saw him the otherday and he said whatever anyone tells you,the medical down CTC is a bit gash. Too little too late in most cases. So id try and address any problem well before training. Not sure as to weather or not it will effect entry though mate.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Naturally a person medically discharged will wish to apportion blame for the medical condition which gave rise to their having to leave. The problem from a medical perspective is you can only treat a symptom when it manifests itself. You are 100% correct in stating you should address the problem, if it can be corrected, before it exacerbates & makes you medically unsuitable. If only those suffering shin splints were to do likewise rather than hope they simply go away.

BGarcia89

Reaction score
My dad was in the RM in the Falklands and Northern Ireland, that was in the ,early 80s. He's flat footed, If he could do it then i'm sure it can be done now.

ChrisL

Reaction score
Hey Up All

I was just wondering if you could where orthotic insert in your trainers for ya PRMC due to my feet are over pronated! Also having over pronated feet wont fail me will it on my medical! Should i tell them bout it on medical are shall i not mention it and hope they dont notice

Please let us *text deleted*

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Chris,

They will probably see for themselves at your medical, but you must state there's a problem as if it materialises or causes a problem in the first 56 days of training you can be medically discharged.

As to whether it's a problem is up to the Medical Officer & dependent on the degree of disability caused, but isn't necessarily an immediate bar to entry nowadays, but bunions & shin splints can be a problem.

ChrisL

Reaction score
Thanx for da info Ninja! We'll have to se what happens! but i so hope to god that they dont fail me! *text deleted* all i need is a simple thing like an Insert in my Boot/Trainers. And if that stops me from becoming a Bootneck then im *text deleted* be pissed *text deleted*