overlapping subjects????

TJ08

Reaction score
What is meant by overlapping subjects??

Do you mean all in the same subject area?
im taking physics, chemistry, maths and economics. do these count as overlapping?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
...and the 180- points must be from more than one topic with each contributing topic scoring over 45 UCAS points. Individual sciences at A level are OK, but combined sciences "Dual Award" at GCSE only count as one.

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
kick in the bollcoks really, as im guessing my BTEC doesn't count?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
kick in the bollcoks really, as im guessing my BTEC doesn't count?

The "A Level" Thread covers the issue, with the advice being that some BTECs are valid because of their academic content, others aren't because it's a single or overlapping topic.

All such qualifications have to be faxed to the Admiralty Interview Board (AIB) Officer Entry Section (OES) for verification. You'd be amazed at the variety of academic standards and content at this level. Often it's only the points awarded at distinction level which may contribute to the all-up total.

Short answer: Speak to your nearest AFCO for clarification.

TJ08

Reaction score
wow, i had no idea it was this complex.
thanks for that though. Ill speak to the AFCO when i go in for my psychometric.

cheers.

adrian321

Reaction score
Hi
I have just finished my 2 years at college were i did a National Diploima in Sports and Exercise Sciences. I obtained DDD which works out at 360 ucas point.my concern is that, is my Diploima classes as over lapping. At GCSE i obtain all A*-C in 11 subjects.

hope you can help thanks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The call, with regard what is viewed as 'overlapping subjects' and 'sufficient academic content' is made by the Admiralty Interview Board. Regardless of actual UCAS points scored, the qualifying total must come from two distinct academic qualifications - basically it boils down to course content and individual units studied, which varies between colleges teaching the 'same' course.

If there is any element of doubt, then the certificates should be taken to your AFCO so they maybe copied and forwarded to AIB for verification.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Are these subjects overlapping? POC Section 1
J Are these A-Levels considered overlapping? RM Officer questions 1