Overseas applicants - confirmation of non-liability for national or military service

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The onus on the individual to provide evidence that they are not liable for military service in their country of residence as the UK Armed Forces cannot undertake costly and time consuming checks on their behalf.

The Royal Navy Perspective:

Country of residence, Military perspective:

From the perspective of an overseas applicant, with no former military service:

Example letter:

Bottom line - No proof, no join.

2. revolutionary

revolutionary New Member

In Singapore, if someone (who has served the mandatory 2 years of national service) chooses to go overseas for work or education, he has to apply for a permit called "disruption from national service" which temporarily excuses him from reservist duty.

"Disruption from National Service" confirms that the person who has applied is not liable for recall to military service until the permit expires. The maximum length of the permit is about 5~6 (sorry I forgot which) years. It can be renewed after the 5~6 years are over.

So my question is, do 'temporary' (but extendable) permits like these qualify as "proof" and "written confirmation" for non-liabilty of military service?

Thanks,
    revolutionary

p.s. Sorry if i've already asked this before.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

I doubt it, written proof of non-liability is required for the length of your RM contract - 18 years or until the age of 40.

Best bet is to email the overseas desk to confirm: NAVYCNR-RFFGLSEOVERSEAS@MOD.GOV.UK

4. revolutionary

revolutionary New Member

My Chances are quite slim then :-(

Now the only thing I can do is study like a madman, go to a UK uni, get civvy work there (which is close to impossible with tight immigration laws and fierce job competition) and apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen (which is also pretty hard), then join the RN/RM...

Why... why... :frown:

5. CGC

CGC New Member

Is this letter required from everyone that resides abroad? I was born and live in the UAE, yet i am solely a British Citizen, would i still need this letter?

6. Screwby

Screwby New Member

Have you served in any military before?

7. CGC

CGC New Member

nope, none, and i would have no clue about how to get this letter.

8. Screwby

Screwby New Member

You shouldn't need the letter then. The letter that I have was from my CO and MCPL saying I've had an honourable discharge. If you want you can call the AFCO in London and ask about it.

9. CGC

CGC New Member

Great, thanks a lot. Calling them is the best option, better to be doubly confident than not double check and delay everything, ill do that in a bit or tomorrow.

10. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

Ok I am having a problem with this. The SANDF in all their wisdom have decided that the British Military does not need this and if I want to take it up further I must drive a few hundred kilometers to meet with a commander who may or may not agree to meet with me to discuss why I need this.

Any South Africans have experience with the process? I am sure I read something saying we don't need it anymore? Or is that wishful thinking..

11. just john

just john New Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    I know this is over a year later, but I am too having that same problem. How did you overcome this if so ? How necessary is this letter ?

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

You cannot join without it. Post one tells you how to go about it.

13. Guski

Guski Member

App Stage:
    Passed POC
    Check out this post mate I think the CPO for overseas apps at the London AFCO might have you sorted already. Might be worth pming a fellow member from SA to follow up.

I had a similar problem with the Canadian Armed Forces and ended up having to write to the Office of the Minister of National Defence. He was able to do the checks and write the letter for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DBenn01

DBenn01 Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi Ninja, Hope alls good,

I am wondering, I am an Irish National living in the Republic of Ireland, would I be considered as an overseas applicant even if part of the UK is in Ireland?

If so, obviously id need this letter from the Irish Defence Forces - I asked you recently if being in the RDF (Reserve Defence Forces) or the Irish Defence Forces would have been a bar to entry into the Royal Marines, id assume only if I didn't disclose this letter when I was ready to apply?