Overseas applicants

alvin_sng

Reaction score
Need help here. I'm from Singapore and wish to join the Royal Marines. So I emailed the Overseas Desk at London AFCO regarding my eligibility. This was the reply I got.

To join the Royal Marines you must reside in the UK for three years before applying. Alternatively, we will waive the residency rule if you know someone serving in the British armed forces who will vouch for you.

A T BR*text deleted**
WARRANT OFFICER

So does this means i got to reside in UK for 3 years?

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If you do not have anyone in the British armed forces that can sign the from needed for the residency waiver then yes you will have to reside in the UK for a minimum of three years.

alvin_sng

Reaction score
Any chance of me getting someone in the forum currently with the British armed force willing to sign my waiver? I really *text deleted* join the Royal Marines.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

Unfortunately they will need to check out how you know the person who is signing to say they have known you for x amount of years.

So as much as someone on here would love to do you a favour, it would not do any good unfortunately.

All the best
GW

alvin_sng

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info fellas. This is turning out to be a real bummer for me.

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
no offence or anything but we dont know you.. you could be a terrorist trying to get Elite UK forces training.... sorry mate

alvin_sng

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering moving to the UK and staying for 3 years so as to qualify for the residency requirement.

Can anyone give me an idea of how it would be like moving all alone to the UK, and would I be able to get a job/what can I do to survive financially during these 3 years?

Much Thanks.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hi Alvin,

A good a place as any to get the relevant information & contacts is probably the Singapore Professional Network who appear to have established a network of like-minded individuals from Singapore.

We cannot offer any advice, vouch for or endorse this site as they are a completely independent organisation, but hopefully you may be able to gain the advice you need at no cost.

As always, be VERY cautious, don't give personal details & don't send any money. Treat it as a scam until proven otherwise.

The Singapore Embassy Website may also be a useful source of information.

Good luck.

alvin_sng

Reaction score
Just curious, anyone knows the amount of non-British in the Royal Marines?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
A VERY rough guess, but I'd say about 5% to 7% are Commonwealth or Dual Nationality- probably more overseas applicants than any of the other arms of the UK Armed Forces.

champ

Reaction score
Is 3 years residency also required for applicants from commonwealth countries?