Overseas application question

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja, Im not sure if you still visit the boards, but Im hoping someone here, or maybe you could give me a straight answer. If you are coming from overseas, do you need to pass all of the selection processes before they go ahead with the security clearance. I was under the impression you could wait for the security clearance to go through, then go to the UK and do all of the other tests ( medical, psychometric, PJFT ). Would make sense that way since you shouldn't take a medical test, and then wait 6 - 12 months, then automatically come over and be exempt from it. Also saves from traveling to the UK 2 times.

Any answers ?

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
Not the straight answer you are looking for, but...

In my case, it was absolutely necessary for me to arrive in the UK and begin the application process before the security clearance is undertaken (in fact, i have no idea about the current status of my SC at the moment). I rang up the London careers office (they deal with overseas applicants) before making the trip to the UK and confirmed that this was indeed necessary. I was supplied with an application form and SC/CTC form, and had them completed and mailed months before my departure, but as far as I know, this was only to make the paperwork a bit less copious upon arrival to the AFCO. I doubt the MOD would invest a few thousand pounds into a security clearance before you've even passed the psychometric test.
If you haven't already, contact the London careers office. View this sticky for contact details:
http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=210

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not the straight answer you are looking for, but...

In my case, it was absolutely necessary for me to arrive in the UK and begin the application process before the security clearance is undertaken (in fact, i have no idea about the current status of my SC at the moment). I rang up the London careers office (they deal with overseas applicants) before making the trip to the UK and confirmed that this was indeed necessary. I was supplied with an application form and SC/CTC form, and had them completed and mailed months before my departure, but as far as I know, this was only to make the paperwork a bit less copious upon arrival to the AFCO. I doubt the MOD would invest a few thousand pounds into a security clearance before you've even passed the psychometric test.
If you haven't already, contact the London careers office. View this sticky for contact details:
http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=210
Hmm, where are you from weaver ?. Sounds kind of ridiculous to spend $1400 to go for some petty tests. Would be better if you could just do them here, and have them mailed over. A much better system. I personally think your right Weaver, see what Ninja says though. Perhaps they can make allowances. Also Weaver, did they cover any of your traveling costs ?.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i believe you can get $ for the travel, or at least some of it. not sure though

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, during one of the live Royal Marine chats, I asked him if they pay for the travel expenses, and he said yes. No clarification on it though. Might have to ring up the offices and get some straight answers. Either that or just call Ninja at home and get him to put all my stuff through :-D.

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
Ty,

Unfortunately, travelling to the UK in order to join the British military is, as far as i've ever seen, entirely up to the applicant. Look again at the link i posted above: "You can only complete the selection process in the UK and you will have to meet all the travel and accommodation costs. If you require a visa to travel to the UK for selection tests then you must arrange and pay for this yourself." Because i hold UK citizenship, and am able to live with family over here, things might be a bit easier for me; i've got a place to stay indefinitey, and need absolutely no visa/work permit/whatever. My trip was paid for entirely by myself; the answer you were given during the live chat was likely misunderstood and probably refers ONLY to serving members of the military.

As for the way the system is set up, it's unfortunate but fiscally reaslistc for the MOD. I made sure everything at home was squared away before moving to England, and planned on staying here for the process for at least 4-6 months. Like i said, this was definitely made easier, considering I have family over here. If you're not as fortunate, Chris's advice on the relocation process should be most helpful; view the general advice section on post #4 of this thread: http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2728

I began the application process through the Overseas office. That in itself can be somewhat lengthy, but ultimately will help you get things sorted out properly.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ty,

Unfortunately, travelling to the UK in order to join the British military is, as far as i've ever seen, entirely up to the applicant. Look again at the link i posted above: "You can only complete the selection process in the UK and you will have to meet all the travel and accommodation costs. If you require a visa to travel to the UK for selection tests then you must arrange and pay for this yourself." Because i hold UK citizenship, and am able to live with family over here, things might be a bit easier for me; i've got a place to stay indefinitey, and need absolutely no visa/work permit/whatever. My trip was paid for entirely by myself; the answer you were given during the live chat was likely misunderstood and probably refers ONLY to serving members of the military.

As for the way the system is set up, it's unfortunate but fiscally reaslistc for the MOD. I made sure everything at home was squared away before moving to England, and planned on staying here for the process for at least 4-6 months. Like i said, this was definitely made easier, considering I have family over here. If you're not as fortunate, Chris's advice on the relocation process should be most helpful; view the general advice section on post #4 of this thread: http://www.prmc.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2728

I began the application process through the Overseas office. That in itself can be somewhat lengthy, but ultimately will help you get things sorted out properly.
Well Im not saying you are wrong mate, but a friend of mine, who I cannot get a hold of, cause he is in Afghanistan had to pay for his ticket over. HOWEVER, he said some other people he met there from Canada had there ticket paid for to come over. So that's strange. In the Live chat this was the question, and the quick answer.

Hey Mark !. Im 26, and currently looking to come over to join from Canada. I heard it is possible for the RM's to pay for your flight if you are coming abroad, is this true ?

Ty, correct: the RM pays for you to come over, but not back.

So Im *text deleted* look into it and find out for sure. I know what your saying Weaver, and by the documentation I received doesn't seem like they do, however I have heard from other individuals that it has been done.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was told by London and Glasgow office that the application process had to be done in the UK and cost of travel and accommodation had to be covered by myself.

Hmm, where are you from weaver ?. Sounds kind of ridiculous to spend $1400 to go for some petty tests. Would be better if you could just do them here, and have them mailed over.
I think that is a bit harsh to be honest, the tests are designed to test the possible capability to join the Navy and have had alot of time, effort and money put into them. All the tests besides the PJFT are overseen by Naval personnel there is no way they could just post them off to a foreign country for them to be done with no control over how they are handled. The interview is the biggest factor in the application process in my opinion as from what i have seen no tests are even given unless you pass your interview first.

Mind if I ask why you want to travel to the UK 2 times for your application? Is there a reason you would not do something much like weaver and myself and live/work in the UK during the application?

(in fact, i have no idea about the current status of my SC at the moment)
I hear you there brother, its a horrible thing waiting about for info on it.

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well I don't quite have the money to live and get my own place in the UK. Your dollar is worth much more then our Canadian dollars. Plus, according to the information given, they do not give out work VISA's while you wait for your security clearance, so that's out of the question as well. Looks like I am just going to have to fly back and fourth. I know it's not the end of the world, but it's still $1000 to go there, and take the tests.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Don't quite follow with what you mean by our dollar is worth more than yours.
You might want to look into the working visa details more though, the information says that you cannot obtain a working visa during security clearance however it doesn't say you cannot obtain one before hand. There are alot of house shares and work in London for foreigners, i know alot of people that left South Africa with very little (17 to 1 exchange rate at the time, incredibly expensive) and now thrive in London, there are even companies set up to help people coming to the UK gain work and a place to stay in the London area.

It could take even more than 2 visits for the application since there is the baisc tests, then PRMC and then RT each of which can easily be weeks to months apart.

Gtlaau

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Gday mate

Get a working holiday visa to the uk. go work in a pub. you can get a live in pub job. google search "live in pub jobs dee cooper" she will get you a job. u may want to live in or at least have travelled in the uk. how do you know if you will even like living there????

Also if you are living/working in a pub over there. the whole process is a lot easier.(welll it wasa for me anyway.)

Cheers Tom

Other then that just wait for ninja and see what he has to sa