Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Overseas British Nationals

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by johnnieswalker, Oct 14, 2019.

1. johnnieswalker

johnnieswalker New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello friends, pardon me if I seem mal-informed or otherwise, been looking around for information upon this matter and while I have bits and pieces it is still a bit of a concern.

Me (19) and my future battle buddy as we like to call each other (20) are two British citizens living in South East Asia who intend to join up to the Royal Marines as soon as next year, we have family in the UK (Surrey and Liverpool) and we do have the specific documents, it was to my curiosity if there are any specific thing we must be aware about aside from the obvious, but aside from that I have a few questions.

1. Are we still eligible for enlisting despite not living in the UK?
    2. The land mail requirement of sending documents to the UK is a must by post but it concerns me if specifically does not concern direct from overseas mail, am I wrong?
    3. Is now a good time to apply and or send our requirements in to score a slot for the incoming year of 2020 for enlistment?

Cheers, again apologies in advance if I have overlooked anything.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Welcome to the site.

In response:

1.Yes
    2. Que?
    3. Yes.

In short, you are probably better off returning to UK to undergo all elements of selection rather than applying as an overseas applicant due to the fact there are literally thousands of overseas applicants and the process is incredibly slow due to woefully inadequate manpower allocated to processing applications from overseas. It shouldn't be the case, but sadly it is.

Either way if you've lived overseas for more than 180 days for periods in excess of 30 days within the last 5 years, which I suspect you have, then you will require a residency waiver to gain security clearance(SC)...and unless you have been living in a country that has reciprocal security check protocols with UK, (such as the Five Eyes, certain Commonwealth & European countries), then SC can take a lengthy period.

3. johnnieswalker

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Cheers, I initially suspected that coming back to the UK would be a more viable option all things considered to undertake everything necessary to do at a quickened pace. Really do appreciate the swift response, is there a specific process to the residency waiver and security clearance or should I consult the AFCO in the UK itself when it comes to that matter? I personally have my police clearance and national clearance from my current country of living (Non-commonwealth) which shows no standing record and otherwise, so I suppose that would assist a fair bit.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, you'll need a recent police check print-out from countries you've lived-in over the 5 years before applying, references from employer(s)/education, an unbroken list of residence addresses covering the last 5 years in order for a residency waiver to be requested.

5. johnnieswalker

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks so much Ninja, really appreciated, I'd love to keep asking but I'd hate to have to keep bombarding you with all this, very interested and committed to be able to even try to enter, the only problem with the UK would be the financials but hopefully could get that sorted which really is the only problem if we were to go there. Only major concerns currently is the amount of time we have to do all of this really and that's the only thing for us.