Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Overseas vs UK Application

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Rosie, Aug 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rosie

Rosie Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Dear All,

I'm resident overseas with me son (British Citizen) and he's all set to press that application button. Can anyone advise if it is quicker to apply from overseas or in the UK?

We are leaning towards relocating him to London in the next couple of weeks and starting the application from there. I had a call with RN / RM AFCO office in London in yesterday, and they thought it would be quicker from the UK.

Any comments would be appreciated.

2. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Overall it will be faster from the UK. He will still have to wait an extended amount of time for the security clearance to be processed because (I assume) he hasn't been living in the UK consecutively for the past 5 years. I am applying from overseas and am currently on my fifth month of waiting for my clearance to come through.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rosie

Rosie Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks @telemark

Is the clearance likely to be any quicker due to his age? He's 17. Although he was born overseas, and has lived in 4 different countries, non of which were the UK.

4. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm afraid I don't know, I just know that in my own experience and other's on this board that the security clearance and residency waiver will take some time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

There are several ways to do it, but it depends where you are resident overseas & the costs flying back & forth.

Those under age 18, living with parents employed on UK government business may gain SC more readily, but for those employed or retired living overseas, moving around, SC can be quite drawn out, particularly if resident in non-EU or non-Commonwealth countries (except the US) with limited reciprocal security co-operation protocols.

If intending to come to UK to complete selection, it's not worth booking a ticket unless 100% prepared and 'good to go' on PRMC.

Initial communications should be established by the overseas desk at London AFCO and you can then enter into dialogue with your preferred UK AFCO for processing. Most AFCOs, with sufficient notice can line-up and condense selection to limit UK stay time, but medical screening & SC can cause significant delays.

When fully fit and ready, it's worth bringing complete copies of your medical records - translated, if need be.

I've managed to get someone tested, interviewed, 'medicalled' and PJFT'd week one, PRMC'd week two. BUT, preparation in all respects is key.

Had this individual passed PRMC (he didn't), he could've been in recruit training within 4 weeks of the PRMC pass - had he only got security clearance underway from the outset (he didn't bother).

If you are resident in UK during selection, budget for at least a six month process time, don't expect any prioritisation.

• Like Like x 1
  6. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Have you had overseas applicants where their security clearance/residency waiver took less than 4-6 months? I'm approaching 6 months since I submitted my clearance info to MOD-NSV. Starting to go a bit crazy with waiting.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Only if they provided police check certificates etc., from EU, US or the Commonwealth. Even then, after passing PRMC, I'd advise those resident overseas to go back until SC is granted as 12 months is not unknown.

• Like Like x 1
  8. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks as always for the info, Ninja. I submitted all the overseas (USA) paperwork, so hopefully it won't be too much longer - I'm not sure if I'll be able to wait another six months :/

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rosie

Rosie Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thank you both for your help. It's definitely clearer now.

10. Rosie

Rosie Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Ninja_Stoker

I've seen on a post somewhere that you posted an email address for the RM AFCO desk. Could you post again please?

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

[email protected]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rosie

Rosie Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks...email sent

13. Rosie

Rosie Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    We've had a reply from the Overseas Desk, but have pretty much come to the decision that we are going to relocate my son to the UK, and start his application from there.

The question I was really asking the AFCO was what documents do we need to bring with us. I've uploaded a clean copy of the advice copied the reply below, although it is generic, and I'm sure most of the applicants using this Overseas Section have seen it already.

The basic plan is to relocate him to London, walk in and see an AFCO, explain the plan, get all his UK admin done (bank a/c, NI, register with a GP - he'll need these a s proof of a UK address).

Bearing in mind the forum's previous advice, ie no point travelling until he is ready for the PRMC, he'll be doing the BFT on Sunday (Quality Control by me!).

Any 'final' advice / comments much appreciated.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. telemark

telemark Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    The only big piece of advice I have is to persevere. Expect that there will be things that don't go to plan, and there will be moments of frustration with the process.

15. Rosie

Rosie Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    A quick update. We're flying to the UK tomorrow to relocate my son. His training is progressing nicely.

Would it be advisable to take all his old passports to support his previous residency history?

He got a local Police Clearance Certificate in the week, and has medical records. I've been telling him to be prepared for a 8 month wait...let's see.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A list of addresses covering the last 5 years will be required for security clearance but a passport doesn't actually prove residencey, just nationality and sometimes countries visited or visas granted.

It's worth takinga couple of references or at least the names and addresses of willing referees to verify residency and suitability for military service - education or employment references are best.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rosie

Rosie Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks Ninja,

you beat me to it. I've just checked the file he's put together, and re-read the correspondence list I posted above on 9 September last year. He has two education reference letters and a local police clearance certificate.

I'll add a list of addresses.

Rosie