Overtraining signs

johondie1

Reaction score
Hi chaps. Recently I’ve been feeling abit burnt out so to say, I have to talk myself into running when before I would love it. I’m 5 weeks out from entering training with another service that isn’t the Royal Marines. However I would like opinions on weather my routine is abit crazy. Truth be told I’m Nervous of lowering any activity incase I get “unfitter” if that’s even a thing. I would normally beat myself up if I miss a run. My routine looks like this

Monday- am 15km run pm body weight circuit and strength training

Tuesday- am hill sprints, pm body weight circuit and strength training

Wednesday- am fitntan circuit 3 sets pm
Body weight circuit, strength training

Thursday - 10k run pm circuit and strength training

firday-am fintan circuit 3 sets pm 400m intervals for 2-4km and strength training.

Saturday 10k run, pm circuit and strength train.

Sunday rest

*text deleted* my circuit is
20x burpees
6x pull ups
20x press ups
20x sit ups
20x squats
1min rest x 5 sets

cheers

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
If you're doing 1 or 2 sessions every day at a mega high intensity, you are going to feel burnt out after a while.

There is a theory called 80/20 which says 80% of your training should be done at 20% intensity. I dont particularly agree with those ratios for military preparation however, you have to mix it up abit. Do some research into HR Zones for your runs etc. And if your legs are feeling abit knackered perhaps take a run out and put in a yoga/stretch session to aid recovery

johondie1

Reaction score
Cheers mate, that’s probably what I’ll do, or throw in another rest day mid week

Chelonian

Reaction score
Truth be told I’m Nervous of lowering any activity incase I get “unfitter” if that’s even a thing.
Just to add to the comment by @Rob20 if you are five weeks away from starting RT (wherever that might be) you should consider focusing on minimising injury risk rather than attempting to 'peak' on Day One of RT or starting RT with a training injury or niggle.

This doesn't mean that you should lay on a couch for five weeks but neither should you be kicking the ärse out of phys if you have invested months of it to get where you are. Now is the time to think about introducing more stretches, core and mobility exercises.

Just my personal opinion. Plenty of others on here better qualified to comment.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
You don't say which service you are joining, but whatever it is, you need to take your foot off the gas. Personally, I would drop at least two of the circuits. Doing them after a 10 or 15km run will make anyone tired.

If you are able go for a swim, or follow @Rob20's advice and do a good stretch session. I've never done yoga, so can't comment on the benefits, although anyone who can get their legs round their own neck gets my vote! ;)

Alan