Overtraining?

Ski ii

Reaction score
So at the moment im running 4 times a week with two sprint sessions one recovery run and one slow steady run which i am still building up however, my sprinting speed has gotten slower and slower and i feel like i can no longer achieve max speed.

My training looks like this,

Monday, x6 200m, x2 400m

Tuesday, 1 mile recovery run

Wednesday, off

Thursday, 10 Hill sprints

Friday, 2 mile steady run

Saturday, off

Sunday, off

I am unsure if this is a direct result of over training or if it is something else.

Steeplejackb

Reaction score
Can you swap friday and saturday giving you a rest day after hill sprints? This will be the hardest session and the one most in need of a rest day afterwards.

Ski ii

Reaction score
Yeah i can do that, i'll see how it goes after switching them around

Ski ii

Reaction score
@Harry McRunFast

Sort of, i've been running for about a year now however i was unable to run for 2 months during lockdown so im just starting back slowly.

Should i be putting in more miles during the week?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
So at the moment im running 4 times a week with two sprint sessions one recovery run and one slow steady run which i am still building up however, my sprinting speed has gotten slower and slower and i feel like i can no longer achieve max speed.

My training looks like this,

Monday, x6 200m, x2 400m

Tuesday, 1 mile recovery run

Wednesday, off

Thursday, 10 Hill sprints

Friday, 2 mile steady run

Saturday, off

Sunday, off

I am unsure if this is a direct result of over training or if it is something else.
Only you really know how your body feels the day after your previous workout?

If you feel your pushing it to hard and your feeling fatigued then cut down the intensity until you get you body used to it.

There’s no good you going off doing a 3 mile run if when you finished you can’t do anything for the rest of the week as your just to ruined physically to do anything.

People have different fitness levels just because someone runs 30 mile a week doesn’t mean you have to try match that. Start from the beginning and just build yourself up.

If you can only run 1 mile in 10 minutes then there’s nothing wrong with that if you be smart and build yourself up it’s better that way!

Ski ii

Reaction score
Only you really know how your body feels the day after your previous workout?

If you feel your pushing it to hard and your feeling fatigued then cut down the intensity until you get you body used to it.

There’s no good you going off doing a 3 mile run if when you finished you can’t do anything for the rest of the week as your just to ruined physically to do anything.

People have different fitness levels just because someone runs 30 mile a week doesn’t mean you have to try match that. Start from the beginning and just build yourself up.

If you can only run 1 mile in 10 minutes then there’s nothing wrong with that if you be smart and build yourself up it’s better that way!
Aight i'll keep this in mind and see how i am physically after tweaking it.

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sort of, i've been running for about a year now however i was unable to run for 2 months during lockdown so im just starting back slowly.
How far were you running prior to lockdown?
Should i be putting in more miles during the week?
Yes definitely a lot more miles.

I’d recommend binning the sprints until you’ve built a decent fitness base. Build up to about 30 miles/week then worry about injecting some speed. Probably 6 months worth of work there mate.

I’ll happily write you a programme if you need some ideas mate.

Last edited:

Ski ii

Reaction score
I was running around 15 miles a week back then.

I’d recommend binning the sprints until you’ve built a decent base fitness. Build up to 30 miles/wk then worry about injecting some speed. Probably 6 months worth of work there mate.
Aight i'll get to work on that then, by that you mean mainly doing long easy and steady runs?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

I’d recommend binning the sprints until you’ve built a decent fitness base. Build up to about 30 miles/week then worry about injecting some speed. Probably 6 months worth of work there mate.
Yeah easy 6 months!
I wouldn’t advise anyone especially starting from the bottom again to go and do regular running per week maybe 2 times a week at most for few weeks depending on that distance!

The amount of people you see posting on here who have injured themselves because they’ve overdone training wise and can’t do anything for a while.

People can tell you to run 9 miles a week 3x 3miles every other day but if your not used to it you will seriously injure urself just take it week by week and if your running is coming along nicely then increase it.

Your 16 your not in any rush! It’s better to get it right 1st time and make great progress than have constant setbacks from overdoing it.

If you don’t mind me asking on the 1 mile and 2 mile runs do you time these? And how do you feel when your doing these runs or after you’ve finished them? Fatigued (fuc.cked!) or you fine? This will tell you where your at fitness wise and if you can increase on what your doing or if your overdoing it only u can answer that.

anon1234

Reaction score
definitely a lot more miles
Yeah mileage needs to increase (for aerobic base, mitochondria, fibre type, heart left ventricle size, local muscular endurance, all that jazz)

Build up to about 30 miles/week then worry about injecting some speed
I personally partially agree/disagree. I would keep the speed work as a smaller portion of the weekly volume (like 10%). I passed POC on 40km (24mi) per week and did speed work 2 x per week. So a 40k week = 4.0-5.0km of interval runs of 400-1000m reps. Why wait to develop speed? Keep it there at low volume and get the most out of the longer runs.

I'm at a much higher level now, but I'd still keep some speed work if I was to go back to being a beginner, but I'd definitely emphasise the steady runs for mileage/capacity. I'd also heavily emphasise fireman's carries and drags if that is available to you. Interested to hear your thoughts mate

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aight i'll get to work on that then, by that you mean mainly doing long easy and steady runs?
Yeah man just steady, til you can get to doing 8 miles in about 60 minutes, would be my unprofessional opinion.

Your 16 your not in any rush! It’s better to get it right 1st time and make great progress than have constant setbacks from overdoing it.
@Mattys makes a very good point!

Ski ii

Reaction score
If you don’t mind me asking on the 1 mile and 2 mile runs do you time these? And how do you feel when your doing these runs or after you’ve finished them? Fatigued (fuc.cked!) or you fine? This will tell you where your at fitness wise and if you can increase on what your doing or if your overdoing it only u can answer that.
Both of the runs were run at around a 8:30 mile pace, i was not timing them but i did feel a bit fatigued however it might of been due to running them only an hour after waking up. Perhaps i should run slower next time.

Yeah, i've got plenty of time to get ready just going to take it easy from now on.

I personally partially agree/disagree. I would keep the speed work as a smaller portion of the weekly volume (like 10%). I passed POC on 40km (24mi) per week and did speed work 2 x per week. So a 40k week = 4.0-5.0km of interval runs of 400-1000m reps. Why wait to develop speed? Keep it there at low volume and get the most out of the longer runs.

I'm at a much higher level now, but I'd still keep some speed work if I was to go back to being a beginner, but I'd definitely emphasise the steady runs for mileage/capacity. I'd also heavily emphasise fireman's carries and drags if that is available to you. Interested to hear your thoughts mate
I'll keep this in mind, so would one speed session and two easy runs be a good starting point then.
As for the fireman's carries i'll just use the my mum

Yeah man just steady, til you can get to doing 8 miles in about 60 minutes, would be my unprofessional opinion.
Aight thanks man i'll build up my steady runs to that then

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To take someone who’s running fewer than 10 miles per week and then getting them to do hard reps/intervals too soon would likely lead to injury.

Also, to be a decent middle distance runner (which is basically what the BFT is) you need a big aerobic base. You build that by easy running. Im not sure decent runners do speed work year round, it’s part of a 6-8 week build up to a race, usually.

Without the endurance, there’s no way to hold the “speed” that you’re training.

Obviously everyone’s different, but bare in mind he’s only 16, so still developing... last thing you want is an injury that impacts form... that’ll create all sorts of issues.

Last edited:

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah mileage needs to increase (for aerobic base, mitochondria, fibre type, heart left ventricle size, local muscular endurance, all that jazz)

I agree with this!

I’d most certainly have sprint sessions in there!
Maybe have a 1,2 mile run Monday speed session Wednesday then another 1,2 mile run the Friday and do bodyweight exercises inbetween so you’re giving your legs a day rest after each cardio session!

You don’t have to go crazy with the sprints doing say 10x 10om sprints or say 20x 50m sprints I believe will help a lot.
The only reason i have been able to shoot up the levels so quick in the bleep test was because I was doing a lot of sprints in the fintan workout which has helped me a lot with it!

Or when you do your longer runs finish with a few sets of 100/200m sprints whatever you feel is best but I would have them in your weekly workout.

I wouldn’t say running an hour after waking up is the issue that’s where you have the most energy! Just keep doin what your doing there’s only an issue if what your doing is having a big impact on your next workout ( you can barely walk, very sore etc)

Have you been working on your bodyweight exercises and if so what they like? Press/sit/pullups, bleep test? Don’t feel ashamed if there not great can’t be any worse than mine!

anon1234

Reaction score
but bare in mind he’s only 16,
I agree there 100%.

We differ slightly on the speed work, I wouldn't always do them at max effort year round, but I would include some work that is faster than steady/easy running, even if it's a little bit of tempo. Hard to debate it fully over a keyboard though, but I think we both understand the gist of each other's ideas.

Take it you had a workout partner then? How did you structure these into your workouts?
Could use a heavy sandbag, personally my gym had a 75kg sandbag. Siblings work too!
I would do a circuit 1-2 x per week of
1. Casualty Drag or Sled Drag
2. Fireman's Carry
3. Bike Interval
4. Any other exercise e.g burpees or press-ups
Did 6-8 rounds of 30s:30s, building up to 60s:60s.

Ski ii

Reaction score
Aight thanks for the help guys,

Have you been working on your bodyweight exercises and if so what they like? Press/sit/pullups, bleep test? Don’t feel ashamed if there not great can’t be any worse than mine!
Yeah i've been doing press ups everyday, as well as pullups/sit ups ups every other day

Press ups, 25

Sit ups, 60

Pull ups: 4

Bodyweight exercises are a lot harder when your bigger than most people haha.

Harry McRunFast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aight thanks for the help guys,

Yeah i've been doing press ups everyday, as well as pullups/sit ups ups every other day

Press ups, 25

Sit ups, 60

Pull ups: 4

Bodyweight exercises are a lot harder when your bigger than most people haha.
Keep it up mate!