Packing for ROP

HAWJ94

Reaction score
Hey all.

I’m packing my bag up now for ROP on the 23rd, problem being is I’ve maxed out my hold-all bag in every way possible, taking bigger things out of packaging and removing some ‘extra’ clothing, and such things....

I’ve noticed that people only tend to have a single bag. My (possibly daft) question to you is:
is it okay to bring a rucksack too with extra bits and pieces in along side your main bag? The second option is to just buy another bigger bag.... which I can do however I’d rather just sling a ruck on my back if possible.

Thanks!

MotherBear

Reaction score
My lad took a suitcase and a back pack... thought it was ott then got to the station and other lads had 5/6 bags

PreludeVTEC

Reaction score
Hello guys,
Is anyone taking an ironing board down with them, it isn't on the kit list but lots of lads recommend taking one down with them

Mumma23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hello guys,
Is anyone taking an ironing board down with them, it isn't on the kit list but lots of lads recommend taking one down with them
More than one bag is fine. My RM had big holdall and smaller rucksack. Didn't take or buy an ironing board. Biggest tip was padlocks - 4 padlocks all working off the same key (saves time when in a rush - which will be most of the time). And not combination padlocks - that's just a challenge for the TT to get open.

HAWJ94

Reaction score
I’ve got three padlocks at the moment and one combination one. I bought them all with different keys but colour coordinated them.... aha. See how that goes. Hopefully ROP teethes out any issues and we can learn from what to do and what not to do. Thanks for the Advice, acknowledged!

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
My nod took a back pack and a gigantic holdall. He's now a lot better at packing light. He realised he didn't need as many civvy clothes so a load of them came home at summer leave.

HAWJ94

Reaction score
@Royal2010 thanks for the heads up! In that regard, is there anything else you’d recommend? What about snacks.....?

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
@Royal2010 thanks for the heads up! In that regard, is there anything else you’d recommend? What about snacks.....?

Don't take snacks. You wont be allowed food in the accom once you move into mainstream training so best not to start bad habits.

Bring tons of good attitude, willingness to learn and a robust winning mindset.

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
Hi, are they really not allowed to have food and snacks in their rooms after ROP?

No. This is due to recruits leaving half eaten food lying around and it 1. Rotting 2. attracting pests.
If a recruit manages to sneak food and snacks into the accom of the evening then it would be advisable that absolutely no trace of food is left behind and wrapper in the correct recycling bin.

Chelonian

Reaction score
In 1970's RT before recycling was a thing a galvanised steel bin with lid was located at the stairwell end of the corridor. When polished with Brillo pad, Brasso, then given a coat of wax polish and buffed, such a bin acquired the gleaming finish of a silver trophy. This was the required standard for the inside and outside of the bin.
Under no circumstances was waste of any description—even the smallest sweetie wrapper—permitted to be deposited in the sacred bin. :)