Packing for ROP

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
In 1970's RT before recycling was a thing a galvanised steel bin with lid was located at the stairwell end of the corridor. When polished with Brillo pad, Brasso, then given a coat of wax polish and buffed, such a bin acquired the gleaming finish of a silver trophy. This was the required standard for the inside and outside of the bin.
Under no circumstances was waste of any description—even the smallest sweetie wrapper—permitted to be deposited in the sacred bin. :)

We once failed an inspection for having litter in the bin and minuscule water droplets in the sink. Attention to detail!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Take an ironing board in case you are locked down into room bubbles when you get there and aren't allowed to goto the NAAFI.

Apologies for thread hijack but rather than create another "what to bring" thread. I've recently started working at a military kit supplier and found there's lots of little gadgets that I don't remember existing when I was last a nod.

I remember Boresnakes were categorically banned because they don't actually fit the SA80 barrel and kept getting stuck. But are nods allowed to buy or use Breech Tools? We send a lot out to Catterick, Pirbright and Sandhurst recruits and a few to CTC Officers Mess but it seems "too good go be true" to be able to use one as a Nod, even though they are arguably smart/efficient/good drills.

Ginger_BreadMan

Reaction score
Apologies for thread hijack but rather than create another "what to bring" thread. I've recently started working at a military kit supplier and found there's lots of little gadgets that I don't remember existing when I was last a nod.

I remember Boresnakes were categorically banned because they don't actually fit the SA80 barrel and kept getting stuck. But are nods allowed to buy or use Breech Tools? We send a lot out to Catterick, Pirbright and Sandhurst recruits and a few to CTC Officers Mess but it seems "too good go be true" to be able to use one as a Nod, even though they are arguably smart/efficient/good drills.

why would you spent money mate when you’d be issued a rifle cleaning kit that would clearly do the same job??

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
why would you spent money mate when you’d be issued a rifle cleaning kit that would clearly do the same job??

It's a branded item that claims to reduce cleaning times by 40% and also designed to get into the little crevices that hold hard-to-reach carbon, just generally making admin more efficient. Same as how in training you are told to get rid of the issued Oil Bottle in the cleaning kit and buy a little spray bottle instead. Or equally how some Troops are allowed to buy gas cookers in Phase 2 rather than the issued Hexi stoves (training team dependent).

Sometimes our orders in work come through for entire sections or even platoons at training establishments which suggests there are perhaps training teams out there recommending them to Recruits but not yet seen one going to any RM recruits, just to army (and some RM YOs).

Ginger_BreadMan

Reaction score
Fair point mate fair point! I wonder if they are funny about using non issued stuff on issued weapons. Like if you damaged one or something? @Royal2010 will know for sure!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Boresnakes are bombers. Also never seen one get stuck. Breech tools are also mega handy.

Personally any gadget that saves me time is a bonus. I reckon if you damage a weapon whilst cleaning it, regardless of what kit you're using, you're probably abit of a mong

Chelonian

Reaction score
I wonder if they are funny about using non issued stuff on issued weapons. Like if you damaged one or something?

The blokes in the Armoury will act as if it's the crime of the century. And then fix it in about two minutes flat.
But I wouldn't want to be the Recruit who gets a non-issue Boresnake jammed in a barrel. -banghead-

Standard L1A1 SLR cleaning kit below. Can't recall anyone using anything else in RT. Blokes did get issue pull-throughs jammed because they thought that they knew better than the TTs.

L1A1_SLR.jpg

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
I purchased myself breech tools for my job, fantastic and as Rob says- an effective and efficient piece of kit is always a bonus.

That being said I would be surprised if this would be allowed in RT. I’m sure @Royal2010 will advise but if I was a betting man I’d say not to bother and save your money. Nothing beats sitting outside the block on a cold winters night cleaning your rifle with numb fingers covered in oil and using your teeth to tear a square of flannelette.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Before BoreSnakes. :) Low tech but effective.

ArmourersChamberSticks2-640x640.jpg

Turned from solid beech wood, these sticks are in new unissued condition. The design of these sticks has not changed since probably Victorian times, I believe these to be of recent manufacture, although as these are rarely if ever dated this is of little importance. The sticks have a slit cut lengthways through the front part and a piece of flannelette is inserted in the slit, wrapped around the nose of the stick and then the nose is thrust into the chamber of the barrel. The shape of the nose part ensures that the chamber is tightly packed with flannelette and by rotating the stick the chamber can be efficiently cleaned.
These sticks were on issue until quite recently to British Army Armourers and in addition formed part of the Complete Equipment Schedule (CES) for a number of weapons including the .303" BREN gun, the No4(T) Sniper rifle and the 7.62mm L42A1 & L96A1 Sniper rifles.

Source: Manufacturer's website.

fine

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Before BoreSnakes. :) Low tech but effective.

Turned from solid beech wood, these sticks are in new unissued condition. The design of these sticks has not changed since probably Victorian times, I believe these to be of recent manufacture, although as these are rarely if ever dated this is of little importance. The sticks have a slit cut lengthways through the front part and a piece of flannelette is inserted in the slit, wrapped around the nose of the stick and then the nose is thrust into the chamber of the barrel. The shape of the nose part ensures that the chamber is tightly packed with flannelette and by rotating the stick the chamber can be efficiently cleaned.
These sticks were on issue until quite recently to British Army Armourers and in addition formed part of the Complete Equipment Schedule (CES) for a number of weapons including the .303" BREN gun, the No4(T) Sniper rifle and the 7.62mm L42A1 & L96A1 Sniper rifles.

Source: Manufacturer's website.

You're THAT old?:D:D

Chelonian

Reaction score
You're THAT old?:D:D

Not quite Victorian but sadly I've reached an age where I feel obliged to bore people by telling them how old I am. It's a bad habit which sneaks up.
One minute you're aged twenty and the next minute you're aged sixty and using age as an excuse for incontinence and inappropriate breast touching. This coincides with queuing for bread and milk, just in case there is a national shortage. :)

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Not quite Victorian but sadly I've reached an age where I feel obliged to bore people by telling them how old I am. It's a bad habit which sneaks up.
One minute you're aged twenty and the next minute you're aged sixty and using age as an excuse for incontinence and inappropriate breast touching. This coincides with queuing for bread and milk, just in case there is a national shortage. :)

One of these things is not like the others :cool:

Chelonian

Reaction score
One of these things is not like the others :cool:

Mental Capacity Act 2005 applies. :)
Which is why little old ladies have touched me up and/or punched me in the face during the course of my work and nobody reports it to Police. Bless 'em.

MVP29

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@MrsB19 here is where I read about them. Don’t know how to share the thread into where we were chatting! L o l - sorry!

Chelonian

Reaction score
...here is where I read about them. Don’t know how to share the thread into where we were chatting! L o l - sorry!

You've already shared the thread by tagging @MrsB19 but for the avoidance of doubt this is the start:

Chelonian

Reaction score
bare essentials mate, everything else issued

Hmm... the '58-pattern water bottle appears to be nestled into a '44-pattern aluminium mug! :)

A sound modification and v. practical. For those unaware, the standard issue plastic '58-pattern mug can't be heated over a stove.

New Threads