Pain Above My Ankle

rmc_86

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I have only started training in the last few weeks, but every time I go running I get a pain almost like a burning sensation below my calf and just aboie my ankle in both legs.

When I get home and take my shoes and socks off it feels like it has swollen and feels quite tight. It has been gradually wearing off each run I do but sometimes it gets so bad I feel like I need to stop.

Anyone else had this or any ideas what I could do to prevent it?

Thanks for any replies guys!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

It could be something called Dumbs, Sorry not sure of spelling but they quote it down at Lympstone a lot, "Delayed onset of muscle Numbness".

It's basically caused by not warming up and not cooling down correctly.

You need to perform stretches both before and after any activity. If you don't, sometimes you get the kind of symptoms you have.

But ultimately if you are having any problems, get yourself down the doctors or if you have access to a sports therapist, then call in and they should be able to diagnose it and give you a solution.

All the best

GW

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
GreyWing said:
Hi Mate,

It could be something called Dumbs, Sorry not sure of spelling but they quote it down at Lympstone a lot, "Delayed onset of muscle Numbness".

GW

I thought it was called DOMS

Delayed onset muscle soreness

Anyway doesnt matter either way,take GWs advice :wink:

smithy85

Reaction score
Hi rmc_86
what both these guys are saying is great advise. Go get yourself to a sports therapist rather than a doctor because my experience with doctors is that he/she will tell you to rest and try again at a gentle pace. i've had quite abit of problems with my legs this past year and it was only when i googled physiotherapist in my area and booked an appointment to see some one, that i got sorted. its a much better option than sitting on the injury and hoping it will go away, you may find the physio will just give you a few key stretches that'll sort you out, well worth the £20-£30 in my books. good luck and chin up!

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Globe-Trotter said:
GreyWing said:
Hi Mate,

GW

It sounds about right mate, it was going back around 3-4 years when I last heard it, but your version sounds like the right one.

All the best

GW

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
GreyWing said:
Globe-Trotter said:
GreyWing said:
Hi Mate,

GW

It sounds about right mate, it was going back around 3-4 years when I last heard it, but your version sounds like the right one.

All the best

GW

Applies either way...

if youre dumb enough not to stretch afterwards :wink:

:*text deleted*: :*text deleted*: :*text deleted*:

rmc_86

Reaction score
smithy85 said:
Hi rmc_86
what both these guys are saying is great advise. Go get yourself to a sports therapist rather than a doctor because my experience with doctors is that he/she will tell you to rest and try again at a gentle pace. i've had quite abit of problems with my legs this past year and it was only when i googled physiotherapist in my area and booked an appointment to see some one, that i got sorted. its a much better option than sitting on the injury and hoping it will go away, you may find the physio will just give you a few key stretches that'll sort you out, well worth the £20-£30 in my books. good luck and chin up!

Thanks GW, Smithy, I will try another couple of runs as I said it has been easing off a little more on each run. Thanks very much for the replies.

Our local football teams (Greenock Morton) physio does a certain night at our hospital, might just book him one night and explain the problem, probably due to my weight (Fatty).

Thanks again!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Decendantarian Pain 2/3 inches above ankle? Common Training Injuries 7
J Pain on Top of Foot Common Training Injuries 3
H Forearm pain Common Training Injuries 10