Pain in front of hip when running

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score
I've had a recurring sharp pain in the front right side of my hip when running for about 2-3 weeks now.
Some runs it's not there and other runs it comes back and is quite painful, and the pain and ache lasts till around the next day. If I lift up my leg and lower it again, there is a clicking when I'm lowering it, which seems to get rid of the pain for a while only for it to return.

I've deferred my training start date to get this sorted. Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar problem and if so how did it get sorted? Thanks.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
It's likely your hip flexors. Gen, you need to rest as it'll go pop if you carry on (going by my previous experience).

Make sure you're adequately stretching that area too. It'll help in the long run.

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score
It's likely your hip flexors. Gen, you need to rest as it'll go pop if you carry on (going by my previous experience).

Make sure you're adequately stretching that area too. It'll help in the long run.
Yeah sound I will do, I'll see how it is after a week or so of rest and stretching. Cheers.

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score

Just wondering if you'd know, as well as taking a rest from running, could I still carry on with circuits, sit ups, burpees etc? Or should I completely rest?
Cheers

physiomum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just wondering if you'd know, as well as taking a rest from running, could I still carry on with circuits, sit ups, burpees etc? Or should I completely rest?
Cheers
It could also be a problem with your hip joint @HelmundOfWest
I presume you won’t be able to see anyone at the moment to give you a diagnosis.
I think I would stop burpees, running and anything that reproduces the pain or clicking until you’ve seen someone e.g physio
You could try a static bike, stepper or cross trainer as long as they don’t cause your symptoms. Obviously any upper limb work and abs and other non repetitive mid range leg work would be ok.
Difficult to advise online but with what you’ve said I’d use pain as a guideline for avoiding an activity until you have a better idea.
Good luck.

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score
It could also be a problem with your hip joint @HelmundOfWest
I presume you won’t be able to see anyone at the moment to give you a diagnosis.
I think I would stop burpees, running and anything that reproduces the pain or clicking until you’ve seen someone e.g physio
You could try a static bike, stepper or cross trainer as long as they don’t cause your symptoms. Obviously any upper limb work and abs and other non repetitive mid range leg work would be ok.
Difficult to advise online but with what you’ve said I’d use pain as a guideline for avoiding an activity until you have a better idea.
Good luck.
Thankyou, this is very helpful. I've been seeing an Osteopath recently and he has said it's caused by tight muscles, mainly the illiopsoas, so I'm taking a rest week and stretching out a lot every day.
Static bike doesn't seem to affect the injury so I can at least keep up cardio with that.
I appreciate your response, thanks :)

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Am I right in saying you start training on the 4th?
I would advise getting this 100% before starting. You'll be shocked at the increase of intensity when you start training and there is little to no time to rest in the early weeks.
Just something for you to consider

HelmundOfWest

Reaction score
Am I right in saying you start training on the 4th?
I would advise getting this 100% before starting. You'll be shocked at the increase of intensity when you start training and there is little to no time to rest in the early weeks.
Just something for you to consider
Yeah, I've postponed my start date from 20th April to the 4th to give time for it to get sorted out, but if I'm not 100% when it gets close to the date then I will have to postpone again. Not going to risk joining with any sort of niggle or injury etc.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I've postponed my start date from 20th April to the 4th to give time for it to get sorted out, but if I'm not 100% when it gets close to the date then I will have to postpone again. Not going to risk joining with any sort of niggle or injury etc.
Probably a wise decision mate. Hopefully it improves for ya!