pain in neck

marine_shull

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just wonderin wether any1 knows why or gets the same as me...wen im runnin i sumtimes get a stitch sort of feeling in my neck its only ever on the right side and its between the collar bone and the actual neck or isit just me being wierd :dontaskme:

thanks seb

JPM

Reaction score
i get that aswell sometimes, i usually get it when im really pushing my self and im a bit dehydrated, it starts in my sides and moves to the neck (havent got a clue why) but ever since ive increased my water intake i don't get as many but the odd stitch still pops up now and again.

rusty92

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What the heck its really funny you say that mate, Cause i was thinking the same today when i was doing a 6 miler!. I Always get it when it gets hard. Like you say like in collarbone and partly in neck its wired. But i never thought anything of it, I Just thought it was me and it wasnt something anyone else would get.. Glad its not me and that someone can solve it for me hopefully!..

marine_shull

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i drink a fair bit of water to be honest but drinking abit more wont hurt i guess :) good to see its not only me aswell haha!

well if any1 finds a 'cure' for it gimme a shout please!

fanks alot seb

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thats.. weird :| Never had it...Don't think I want it.
I find my shoulders start to tense up but thats about it, but thats only on slower runs (*text deleted**text deleted* knows.. i dont know why *text deleted*)

Megalomaniac

Reaction score
Yeah I get that somtimes when running. I have found that if I try to keep relaxed in the shoulders it tends not to happen.

et-adams

Reaction score
I know that pain; It usually arises on one's neck/collarbone/shoulder area.

You'll find it appears on the side of whichever foot you land with most heavily. Ie, I'm left footed, so my left foot pounds the ground slightly harder than my right. When doing intensive and extended periods of running, this causes impact strain in that area.

On each impact, your body is absorbing up to 8times your bodyweight, of which only about 2/3rds the legs absord. The rest is that which causes these niggles. Run through the pain, the muscle and ligament here will strengthen in no time.

D

Deleted

I'm right footed and get that in my left shoulder sometimes, it's agony. I jsut got told its a stitch though. I don't think that's actually the problem though, I think it may be a nerve which might move under your collar bone and get wedged between the joint or something, thats my educated guess anyway.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Also your supposed to watch the way you hold your arms when running, having them held up to high can give you neck and shoulder ache, your supposed to have them relaxed about waist high with minimal swinging..this is for the longer runs anyway. Read it on a running site somewhere.

dj1uk3

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i used to get the same problem, but as i got fitter it faded away. I think its all to do with your back and shoulder muscles, as well as your head movement. Just try and keep a good posture while running

skipper22

Reaction score
Pain in the neck/ shoulder can be reffered pain from a stitch. Being dehydrated increases your chances of getting it. Also keeping your shoulders relaxed and "belly breathe" when running should prevent it.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking for a cure for this and came across one.

What you have to do:

If it hurts on the right side - Smash in *text deleted* left side, u forget about *text deleted* right side, Then when *text deleted* left side hurts then make *text deleted* right side hurt more, and repeat the process. So when *text deleted* running just keep beating urself up.

I would like to hear how this gets on.

Dr Chicogiz.

reid81

Reaction score
i discover a new kind of pain on every run, good to know im not alone.
i dont really drink so havin 4 pints on sunday has really *text deleted**d my week up, running with a hangover is a lesson learned 1st time.
i had two rest days as a result and my knees are givin me such a hard time, just keep pushin and get yourself on the track everyday

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smash Neck/Throat Pain Sit Ups Common Training Injuries 3
J Pain In The Neck! Common Training Injuries 4
C achillies pain when running Common Training Injuries 3