Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Pain management - using running as rehab

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Griff149, May 13, 2020.

1. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi all,

I thought I’d share this blog with you which I’m sure many may find interesting.

https://www.physio-network.com/runn...en-it-comes-to-recovery-from-injury-and-pain/

In summary, the article suggests that sometimes when rehabbing from an injury, the amount of pain you have performing a task that once caused you no issues, can be down to various reasons, not all of which need to be a concern.

The research suggests that pain is not always a sign of tissue damage and considers examples of pain from sun burn when having a hot shower or a tension headache. Both can cause great discomfort but are not actually causing you any damage.

An example could be someone who has suffered from shin splints for a period of 3 months. When running there is mild pain (2-4/10) that subsides after exercise and is no worse the next day. The article suggested increased stress of worry re: re-injury and low confidence can impact pain upon returning to exercise (suggesting effectively the more you think about getting pain, the higher chance you’ll have it) and the low level pain being felt can very much be down to the body once again adapting to a new form of exercise.

Of course with all scenarios there are exceptions but I’m sure this principle can be applied to many forms of rehab. I’m by no means an expert on this matter (and to be clear I am not a medical professional) but do take an active interest in researching this sort of stuff due to my current job as a personal trainer helping people with injury rehab.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1