Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Pain under kneecap

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by stoic_phys, May 7, 2020.

1. stoic_phys

stoic_phys Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi all, just notice over yesterday and today I have been getting pain under my knee cap to the right side, not really sure what it could be. Have been noticing discomfort on runs before on my kneecap etc but didn't think much of it till today. Going to rest for a couple days and then see how it is. Any advice?

2. Johnwayne

Johnwayne Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    @stoic_phys not sure if what I had is exactly the same, but I had some pain on the lower outside of my left knee. I did the standard Ice, elevate, stretch and silly amounts of Tiger Balm. Up and running again after 2 days rest.
    Make sure you’re stretching quads, hammies, piriformis and back.

Good luck man. Hope you’re good again soon.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Personally I'd rest for longer than two days with a knee niggle unless there is a pressing reason why you should not. Probability is that it will fix itself but give it a chance to do so.

I'm not qualified to offer advice but 'pushing through' an injury only makes sense if you have to do so.

Plenty of other exercise and stretch options to pass the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Dutch88

Dutch88 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Sound advice
    2 days isn't much time. I had some knee pain a few months back.
    I think I took a couple of weeks off and then went back but lighter on it. Over training was probably the cause. Too much too soon.
    I had a mate who's a physio have a look. Just checked there was no fluid on it etc. He said it was fine.
    Always good to have it looked at if it persists.
    Not easy in current times though I know.
    Knees are poorly designed from an evolutionary point of view.

5. stoic_phys

stoic_phys Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers for the help, I've booked a physio video call for monday. Really a shame as was due to start RT in a few weeks but may have to delay to the one after depending how it feels over the next few days.

6. PMP_25

PMP_25 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    ive had problems with my knees recently. Turns out the pain was a result of mega tight hammys/glutes(med/min). This was remedied by Icing the knee with an icepack! Rest Ice Compression Elevation RICE are the key words.

If you want serious and quick relief from this though you may need the muscles in question freeing up from a sports therapist. From there you will need to do a number of stretches daily along with icing as much as possible, do use compression when going on your runs too. Foam rolling also helps.

The knee is a *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* for injuries because so many muscles and tendons cross at this point, have a look at freeing up the glute med/min & hammys and do some slow dynamic stretches to stretch and strengthen the muscles. Dont forget to ice, and rest is key

Hope this helps