Pain when running

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When I run at a moderate intensity, I get a pain in my right shoulder/trap. It feels the same as a stomach stitch, just wondering if anybody out there has any answers on what it is and how to prevent it. Cheers.

S

stringer98

When I run at a moderate intensity, I get a pain in my right shoulder/trap. It feels the same as a stomach stitch, just wondering if anybody out there has any answers on what it is and how to prevent it. Cheers.
could be your form when running, maybe need to relax your shoulders a bit

Sausage

Reaction score
Had something similar.. turned out my shoulder joint was slightly rolled forward on the left.. this tightened up during a run and basically sucked.. had to got physio for it.. sorted now

If it’s a recent thing try stretching the deltoids and pecs and see if that helps

Chelonian

Reaction score
When I run at a moderate intensity, I get a pain in my right shoulder/trap.

I'm not a phys expert but as one who has run (more than Forrest Gump) over the last forty plus years I think that there is such a thing as 'transient pain'. Niggles that come and go. Sometimes such niggles linger for a couple of months but at my age that's merely a blink of the eye. :)

For starters consider incorporating some stretching into your phys routine and see how you get on.

john lewis

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
If it is bothering you that much spend £30 on a sports massage and should sort it if not foam roll

The Creature of the Night

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

I had this too. One tip I can reccomned (bearing in mind I’m not a physiologist) is whilst running? Drop your arms from the ‘pump, position and leave them to the side of your body for a couple of seconds, as well as ‘punch’ the air.

I found it worked.

Best wishes:
The Creature of the Night.

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had this too. One tip I can reccomned (bearing in mind I’m not a physiologist) is whilst running? Drop your arms from the ‘pump, position and leave them to the side of your body for a couple of seconds, as well as ‘punch’ the air.

I found it worked.

Best wishes:
The Creature of the Night.

Problem solved! Cheers for the advice it definitely helped

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
I see a lot of runners holding their forearms in a tense 90 degrees position to their upper arms. This will cause stress and discomfort in the shoulders and neck area.

Just relax the arms and this will release the tension further up and lead to a more relaxed running position. Do this throughout the run and you'll find life a lot more comfortable.

Alan

Last edited:

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I see a lot of runners holding their forearms in a tense 90 degrees position to their upper arms.

That was mostly my problem I think! Just being so tensed up when running was writing me off

Last edited by a moderator: