Para insight course ?

Robbie Spice

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Any1 ever been on one or going on one ?

I know you might think why would I do that ?

I was trying to see what they involve and there was a post in a thread where one lad said he'd been on one and there was a prm on it who was using it as getting in training for his prmc.

Just a thought .

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Myself and about 10 mates are on a Para insight course-Aug 15-17. Just using it as a bit of phys really

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
One of my mates went on one a month or so before his PRMC just to get an idea of what the beastings would be like, and said he found it tough but useful.

He said they got beasted a lot and the log race was tough but it was beneficial.

Found this on another forum regarding the structure of the course:

First night:

Kit issued.
Packed lunch given.
Given rooms.
Bleep test.
Icebreakers.
Bed.

Saturday:

Breakfast.
Room Inspection.
1.5 mile run.
Sit ups and press ups best effort in 2 minutes.
Jerry can carry.
Heeves best effort.
Couple of lessons about the army and parachute regiment, weapons systems etc.
Back to accomodation to get into boots and coveralls.
Lunch.
Para assault course, command tasks etc.
Dinner.
Back to accomodation, shower.
Naafi for chill out with the lads, game of pool, watch tv etc.
Bed.

Sunday Morning:

5:30 am start.
Into boots and coveralls.
Room Inspection.
Log race.
Breakfast.
Back to accomodation for shower, get changed, clean rooms etc.
Leave.

Its free, they pay for your travel etc, so can't really see what there is to lose...

S

Sotiris

Sounds like a brilliant idea.

No experience is a bad one!

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Why dont you just go to the royal marines insight course ??????????????

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The Royal Marines currently offer Royal Marines Acquaint Days at RMR units, have Meet the Marines events nationwide, Have Royal Marines visibility Teams visiting schools & colleges, The Commando Display Team attending shows & events nationwide & the Corps also run Look at Life courses at Lympstone.

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yea I went to the Royal Marines look at life course in Lympstone and it was 'hoofin' was there for a week, I didn't want to leave, the corporals had to chuck me out.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ninja_Stoker, do you have any more information as to where you can apply or sign up to any of these events, or is it all recommended by your AFCO?

The reason the para insight course looks attractive is that there is an obvious form to sign up for it on the net, and then you have a place.

I might be being thick here but i've never been able to find a similar link on the Royal Marines website.

I went on a "Meet the Marines" day a few years ago, but only heard of that just in time after it was mentioned on local radio... brilliant day it was too!

cheers

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you ask nicely, your AFCO will be able to advise whether there are places available.

The reason it isn't on the RM site is because the RM isn't a huge organisation and consequently there aren't always regular events. It's dependent on operational commitments and how much money they have in the piggy bank to run the courses.

Generally the Look at Life events are offered to college courses rather than individuals however, if you don't ask, you'll never know. Meet the Marines events happen sporadically because they are hugely expensive, but again ask your AFCO. RMAD's tend to be fairly regular, about once a month in some regions.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Cheers N_S, thought there would be a good explanation for this.

I'l have a talk with my AFCO.

JACKO-WACKO

Reaction score
I went on the look @ life course in november 2008 was a great week there was guys from south devon college who took pictures of us on the endrounce course but still aint seen them its a great course to on its *text deleted** made me want to join so if u can get on one go to it . It will be the best week of your life until u get the green lid *text deleted*

D_B

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
What's the point of that? That's just a waste of MOD money. :evil:
What?? Mabey some of his mates want to join the Para's? MOD money? More like our Taxes, Id rather pay my taxes to go towards something for somebody joining the forces then to some chav whos on the dole doesnt want to do anything with his life and does drugs with OUR tax's!

W

wooz

What's the point of that? That's just a waste of MOD money. :evil:
No its not.

I fully intended joining the RM as an Officer, but now i have been told i have to wait till Sept 2011 I have to make some hard choices. Luckily i decided to go on the Para insight course randomly which, suprise suprise...gave me an insight. It did exactly what it said on the tin!

I know that i definately want to join the military, and to be honest Marines and Paras have the same mind set and life goals so i am seriously contemplating the Paras now.

The course itself is not particularly demanding. There are assualt courses ect, log run and bleep test. Its pretty easy but it was really benificial.

There is nothing wrong with keeping your options open. You may even be won over by all the propaganda of jumping out of planes and killing baddies :). Plus you get to play with guns.

PotentialOfficer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No its not.

I fully intended joining the RM as an Officer, but now i have been told i have to wait till Sept 2011 I have to make some hard choices. Luckily i decided to go on the Para insight course randomly which, suprise suprise...gave me an insight. It did exactly what it said on the tin!

I know that i definately want to join the military, and to be honest Marines and Paras have the same mind set and life goals so i am seriously contemplating the Paras now.

The course itself is not particularly demanding. There are assualt courses ect, log run and bleep test. Its pretty easy but it was really benificial.

There is nothing wrong with keeping your options open. You may even be won over by all the propaganda of jumping out of planes and killing baddies :). Plus you get to play with guns.
They are similar, Marines and Paras, but a few differences as well.

Steve.S

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be going on this in a few weeks but never got a confirmation letter. Hopefully I'm still booked on. Don't suppose any has the tel number to hand? Wouldn't mind giving them a call. Will trawl the net otherwise...

Quite looking forward to it - see things from another elite force perspective!

Castle Kashan caterer

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You don't get the form or rail warrent until a few days before. If you are still worried take a look on the british army website for a helpline. It's a great laugh and all very easy until the log race. Thats tough.

Steve.S

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Oh right, cool.

Can the rail warrant be used at any station? Ie. is it basically an open ticket from anywhere?

What time do you need to be there on the Friday evening? Is it in Colchester?

Can't wait!

Cheers.

Castle Kashan caterer

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
No it's from your closest train station to Colchester. They are not too bothered when you turn up as long as it isnt too late. It isn't somthing to worry about, it really is a pleasant experience. It's just the log run that was hard, but that was back in January when we woke up at 5am and it was still dark doing the run through mud and ice. Good times