Para Platoon earning the Maroon beret

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The show that a few including me tried to find over the years is finaly on Amazon Prime. I am about 5 episodes in and I actually quite like it. Can tell the Corporals want to give Joe extra phys in spots but cant which is quite funny.

It has the PRAC element in it, little outdated but pretty good representation of it. You don't do the tranasium on PRAC anymore

Its about 7-8 years old I believe

Collieryboy

Reaction score
Watched this when it was on, not long after the commando school debacle. I think it's really good. A lad from our mma gym was in it. Got dropped in his milling bout, still gets rinsed for it now apparently.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Watched this when it was on, not long after the commando school debacle. I think it's really good. A lad from our mma gym was in it. Got dropped in his milling bout, still gets rinsed for it now apparently.
Its weird actually I saw a good few blokes there most who are now promoted. Even Coates is still in battalion. Work with 1 closely and had no idea, kept it quiet.

Apex

Former RM Commando
Reaction score
How often do you get to jump now lads? Do you still have to complete 8 annual to retain para pay?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
I recently discovered this little gem.

I particularly enjoy Col Tim Collins comparing military parachuting with car crashes!

Collieryboy

Reaction score
Its weird actually I saw a good few blokes there most who are now promoted. Even Coates is still in battalion. Work with 1 closely and had no idea, kept it quiet.
I know one runs the 16 muay thai club. He's a good fighter. Believe he's Cpl now?

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
How often do you get to jump now lads? Do you still have to complete 8 annual to retain para pay?
It really depends on the year.
Its 4 jumps 3 day 1 night in a skyvan
Then 2 in the c130 as a sim stick jump to be fully qualified for operational jumps.

Last year there was about 4 jump oppertunities which is unfortunately not a lot. Compared to the US Airborne which is almost every month.
I met an 82nd Airborne Chef he did 210 jumps he coudlnt believe how little we do compared.

Yeah you dont lose para pay anymore

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Then 2 in the c130 as a sim stick jump to be fully qualified for operational jumps.

Last year there was about 4 jump oppertunities which is unfortunately not a lot. Compared to the US Airborne which is almost every month.
I met an 82nd Airborne Chef he did 210 jumps he coudlnt believe how little we do compared.

What was it like during your time @Chelonian out of interest? More, less or about the same frequency of jumps?

Rkec

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Do you still see a role for everyone in the Regiment to be qualified to jump? Or do you see it going the way where only specific roles need to be trained?

As someone said to me (might have been on here in the past), why would you take 50 highly trained blokes and fly them slowly and at low level over enemy territory? Do you believe that the bosses see those days as being long behind them?

Chelonian

Reaction score
A sensible change for once. Back in the day the RAF would be persuaded to deploy a balloon and crew from Hullavington on a Saturday so that blokes could get the required jumps in to stay current.

More, less or about the same frequency of jumps?
It's always been poor to be honest. But we had to get the annual jumps in to retain the pay. The two biggest factors were high winds on the DZ and unserviceable airframes. Consequently a lot of time was spent languishing in mahoosive hangars waiting for something to happen. Often nothing happened.

Back in the late 1970s the resources available to the US 82nd Airborne Division were mind blowing. On exchange jumps courses they would have access to a fleet of C-130s to qualify everyone and then offer additional 'Hollywood' jumps from a variety of helicopters.
By comparison when they were over here we offered a balloon jump onto Hankley Common. Many of them initially thought that the balloon was an elaborate practical joke. :)

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
One of them who was in it was our PTI in basic, used to love dishing out “a slice” of extra phys

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Do you still see a role for everyone in the Regiment to be qualified to jump? Or do you see it going the way where only specific roles need to be trained?

As someone said to me (might have been on here in the past), why would you take 50 highly trained blokes and fly them slowly and at low level over enemy territory? Do you believe that the bosses see those days as being long behind them?
I understand how many believe Para is outdated. However in a massive country invasion. I truly believe it has its place in a large war like world wars but not events such as Afghanistan or Iraq.

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I understand how many believe Para is outdated. However in a massive country invasion. I truly believe it has its place in a large war like world wars but not events such as Afghanistan or Iraq.
Yep.

Helicopters do not have the range that a C130 has. If you want to insert troops within a relatively short range, helos are fine. If you need to reach out further then a Para drop remains a tactical gold standard. Do a quick google on the operating radius of a CH47/Merlin and compare to C130 or C17 and you’ll see the huge difference.

Mark my words- 2&3 PARA will be absorbed into SFSG in the future.

Last edited:

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
A sensible change for once. Back in the day the RAF would be persuaded to deploy a balloon and crew from Hullavington on a Saturday so that blokes could get the required jumps in to stay current.

It's always been poor to be honest. But we had to get the annual jumps in to retain the pay. The two biggest factors were high winds on the DZ and unserviceable airframes. Consequently a lot of time was spent languishing in mahoosive hangars waiting for something to happen. Often nothing happened.

Back in the late 1970s the resources available to the US 82nd Airborne Division were mind blowing. On exchange jumps courses they would have access to a fleet of C-130s to qualify everyone and then offer additional 'Hollywood' jumps from a variety of helicopters.
By comparison when they were over here we offered a balloon jump onto Hankley Common. Many of them initially thought that the balloon was an elaborate practical joke. :)
They still do Hollywood specials!

My last trip to America they had us jumping from C130, CH47, C17 and a Blackhawk!

Chelonian

Reaction score
I understand how many believe Para is outdated.
Once a parachute assault capability is binned it cannot be rapidly reactivated. Making strategic decisions based upon current political circumstances is short-sighted and dangerous.

Parachute capability and reach still has a place in the mix; both strategically and psychologically.
As a relatively small, non-aligned nation France ensures that its airborne assets remain prominent and demonstrates the nation's reach where it needs to do so.

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Once a parachute assault capability is binned it cannot be rapidly reactivated. Making strategic decisions based upon current political circumstances is short-sighted and dangerous.

Parachute capability and reach still has a place in the mix; both strategically and psychologically.
As a relatively small, non-aligned nation France ensures that its airborne assets remain prominent and demonstrates the nation's reach where it needs to do so.

Well said. We aren’t talking a WWII style drop, just the rapid insertion of light role troops. It could be a show of force, to establish an APOD for further inwards airlift, to establish a forward line or to deep penetrate...all sorts of options.

Collieryboy

Reaction score
It always seems to me like too much emphasis is placed on the parachuting. Ultimately it is a mode of transport. No one ever thinks of the marines being different just because of their landing craft skills. There will always be a need for the type of soldiers the para reg produces. Supremely fit, aggressive, skilled blokes who want the hard jobs. Not anyone can find excitement in being transported behind enemy lines, dropped off, being massively outnumbered, outgunned, surrounded, isolated from help and with minimal kit. Just my opinion.