Para wings on the new uniform

Reaction score
so as probably everyone has seen, the new uniform features a set of black para wings. Does this mean that every marine is set to be given parachute training? Or have I misinterpreted things?

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
The RAF has trouble getting the Parachute regiment guys their jumps course, due to lack of airframes and over the years the days of GD Marines getting theirs now are virtually non existent. My understanding is that only those who are required to jump will get the BPC.

Alan

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Only lads from SFSG and SRS/BPT are being loaded onto them. However, this may change with the new Furturr Commando Force but it would require a lot of new funding.

THOR

Reaction score
Out of interest.... How often does anyone actually make a jump in anything other than a training exercise?

As far as I know the last battalion sized jump was during the Suez crisis, and that partnered the first mass helicopter insertion. Guessing they figured the helicopters were the better shout.

But even for small numbers, SF etc, how often does it actually occur?

Chelonian

Reaction score
How often does anyone actually make a jump in anything other than a training exercise?
Minimal since 1956 as you state.
But a similar question was asked to justify the existence of HMS Endurance in 1981. It was regarded as being a drain on defence spending because Argentina had no intention of ever attempting to invade the Falkland Islands Dependencies. Ironically the decision to withdraw HMS Endurance in 1982 arguably emboldened and inspired the Argentine invasion.
Once the capability is gone, it's gone.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Only lads from SFSG and SRS/BPT are being loaded onto them. However, this may change with the new Furturr Commando Force but it would require a lot of new funding.
I seriously doubt it even with FCF. Word on the street is a lot of lads are threaders and believe FCF is a pipe dream.