Parachuting/abseiling?

Freddo

Reaction score
hi im just wondering whether Marine training will include any parachuting or abseiling from great heights...

i cant see anything like this during RT, but maybe during further training they will make u do such stuff? or would it be optional?

i havent the best head for heights, i can crack the 30foot stuff and helicopter rides but no way could i jump out a plane *text deleted*

thanks.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Parachuting is an optional as far as im aware, tis always useful to earn your wings, regardless of the fact parachuting in rarely occurs and para's would have the task.

Other tasks such as mountain climbing, absailing etc would happen after RT I believe, considering it's one of the RM areas (mountain warfare).

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
Abseiling

hi im just wondering whether Marine training will include any parachuting or abseiling from great heights...

i cant see anything like this during RT, but maybe during further training they will make u do such stuff? or would it be optional?

i havent the best head for heights, i can crack the 30foot stuff and helicopter rides but no way could i jump out a plane *text deleted*

thanks.
I think you tend to get used to the heights. We used to do loads of fast roping and abseiling and my favourite was the 200 foot abseil from an helicopter.

Parachuting tends to come with the role, i.e. recce troop, usually.

Sussed it. Great. This is a 200ft abseil. It gave me butterflies but I loved it.

[/

This was fast roping drills:

[URL=http://imageshack.us][/

Cheers

Steve

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It is definately something that you get used to.

When I first started climbing, although I am not afraid of heights, backing off a 300ft cliff still made me feel quite uneasy.

With abseiling I find the worse part is putting your weight on the gear but its important just to trust the equipment and go for it. Once your weight is on the rope you should start to feel quite safe.

After doing it 4 or 5 times I got used to it and now it doesn't bother me at all.

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not great with heights ether and i wouldn't openly choose to jump out a plane but if i had to then i guess i would. i bet it's one of the things where once you have done it you want to do it again and again!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
An excellent course to develop a head for heights and high ropes is run by an ex Royal Marine Commando, Sean Taylor at the Tree Top Adventure ground in Snowdonia and is probably amongst the best. Download the video-clip, it gives a good idea of what it's all about.

Just Google "High Ropes" and there's dozens of similar places around the country.

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
that looks nuts! similar to GoApe by the looks of it.

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i must admit that i first thought that i would join the Paras because it sounds really fun but i think the Marines offer a more advanced selection of specialities and better training

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
i must admit that i first thought that i would join the Paras because it sounds really fun but i think the Marines offer a more advanced selection of specialities and better training
Don't worry mate you won't get lynched,
I was originally *text deleted* join the Paras too,
like you said,
sounds fun,
and I thought marines would be too hard,
but after a while,
I thought if you're *text deleted* do something,
then do it well,
and after reading up on the marines I realised that was what I wanted.

Joe

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
The Paras

Being truthful, when I was preparing to join up, I told myself and a lot of other people too, that I wanted to be a marine, first and foremost becasue I wanted to serve with the very best. And if I failed then I would join the paras.

Anyway, thankfully I didn't fail. That said, I do have admiration for the Paras, well a little! and there is a lot of rivalry, which is good for keeping the professional standards up.

Believe it or not, so I'm told, due to cost cutting, you may have more chance of jumping from aeroplanes as a bootneck if this option comes available to you, than you would by actually serving in the Paras. Cost cutting!!

Mind you, "By Sea By Land" with the Commando role is more fun and more challenging, I guess.

Cheers

Steve

M

MTW

yea i heard something like that, they cant afford to do the training anymore to get your wings apparently. so if thats true i think it would be unlikely to be parachute trained in the future.....unless of course our sorry state of a government pulls finger out of arse and improves the financial state of the MOD *text deleted*

J

Jason_A

Everyone's scared of something. I'd be scared of jumping out of a plane; however, if the opportunity comes, then I will do it.

That's why I want to join the marines...I don't want a typical day. I want something that is fun, adventurous, and a challenge -- and that's the Marines!

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Don't worry mate you won't get lynched,
I was originally *text deleted* join the Paras too,
like you said,
sounds fun,
and I thought marines would be too hard,
but after a while,
I thought if you're *text deleted* do something,
then do it well,
and after reading up on the marines I realised that was what I wanted.

Joe
exactly
best of the best

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yea makes me wonder why somebody would choose a desk job when they could have a chance to join one of if not THE greatest fighting groups in the world

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Yea makes me wonder why somebody would choose a desk job when they could have a chance to join one of if not THE greatest fighting groups in the world
I know what you mean,
but it's not for everyone,
and to be fair,
we can't all be Marines,
we might kick ass when they send a few hundred thousand marines to Afghanistan but nothing would get done back in Britain.

Joe

hughbrown

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
haha yea good point
but i could never do a desk job
when it comes to paperwork i have the attention span of a spastic chicken in a hurricane

J

Jason_A

Same here, lads! Hopefully, a lot of us will be doing RT sooner rather than later.

Freddo

Reaction score
thanks for the replies, i spose if i were to pass RT then jumping out a plane would seem like a walk in the park anyway *text deleted*