Paranoid about taking a rest

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve got a niggling pain in me left leg, it was apparent and affected me during my endurance training yesterday, I was *text deleted* do a PJFT mock today but do you lot reckon it would be bad or not to give it a couple of days rest from the running? *text deleted* I’ve heard that you begin to loose fitness quite quickly (within 1-2 weeks) but it is slightly painful to put pressure on, nothing to cry about, but it does certainly affect my running ability quite strongly

Chelonian

Reaction score
...but it does certainly affect my running ability quite strongly

I'd suggest resting. The notion of 'pushing through' an injury or niggle applies when one has to do so.

A professional athlete might have the benefit of massage therapy, etc. Everyone else just takes a few days off. Appropriate rest and recovery time are as much of the discipline of training as is getting one's running shoes on for a cold, wet, winter's day run.

Maybe do some swimming if you want to keep everything moving. Best of luck.

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
When was the last time you took more than one or two rest days? Assuming your training 5 - 6 times a week

More often than not, and it was discussed recently on another thread, that taking a week or two off of training completely does more good than bad.

My advice is - yes, take a week off of running, do a good leg stretching session a day and ease back into running the following week

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Take a week off, be body aware, the advice given above is spot on.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok cheers lads. Really grateful, sounds like proper decent advice there

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
You could try and get yourself in for a rub down off a good sports therapist. They can work wonders. Don't go paying more than £30 an hour tho.

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You could try and get yourself in for a rub down off a good sports therapist. They can work wonders. Don't go paying more than £30 an hour tho.
I use a tennis ball and roll it up and down my legs on the floor, or my back against the wall if my shoulders are tight.. now THAT works wonders, especially if you're on a budget;)

Nod1201

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I got a sports massage on my legs, going for another on the weekend £15 for an hour my ligaments we’re tight from tight hamstrings and it sorted my niggle out instantly!

As said above though make sure that they’re a decent masseuse!

New Threads