Paras' 10 kit advice

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing the Paras' 10 TAB in September this year, which is one of the P Company challenges that is open to the public once a year. It's a 10 mile running race or TAB (35lb bergan) over the ITC training area (which is hilly as *text deleted*!) and I'm just looking for a bit of advice on a decent pair of boots - good ankle support, fairly lightweight but won't break the bank, and a decent bergan that also won't make me skint! Cheers guys.
Link to race website if anyone is interested https://paras10.com/

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Are you joining the paras or just fancy a go. Hopefully it is the same route as p company one. To get under 1 hour 50 the tabbing is pretty rapid like plenty of doubling but definitely one of the "easier" p company events my opinion.
Bergan just get a second hand army one they did me fine no issues should be cheap enough.
As for boots just go to gooutdoors theres plenty fine karrimors their like medium priced 30-60 pound do you fine just obviously wear them in

westy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Are you joining the paras or just fancy a go. Hopefully it is the same route as p company one. To get under 1 hour 50 the tabbing is pretty rapid like plenty of doubling but definitely one of the "easier" p company events my opinion.
Bergan just get a second hand army one they did me fine no issues should be cheap enough.
As for boots just go to gooutdoors theres plenty fine karrimors their like medium priced 30-60 pound do you fine just obviously wear them in

I believe it’s the actual P coy route

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it's the proper P company route, going for Royal Marines and I live very local to Vimy/ITC so thought I'd give it a bash! Although Paras was a close second so if I make it to CTC and it goes tits up, I'll probably go for Paras after that. Alright I'll get searching, cheers:)!

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing the Paras' 10 TAB in September this year,

Definitely consider visiting Sports Direct :eek: and trying some Karrimor fabric boots as suggested by @aliB
The boots are light, supportive and cheap. Good for general trail running too. Goretex isn't worth paying extra for. Karrimor quality isn't as good as it was forty years ago but they'll do the job. We used to call them 'bendy boots'.

I understand that the carry weight for the event is 35 pounds so nobody needs a 100 litre bergen. What matters most is that the weight sits on the hips, not the shoulders. And load the bag so that the centre of gravity is stable.

As an aside, almost every civilian participating in the event wears military style kit. If I were doing it I'd consider lightening the mood a bit by wearing a pretty fuschia tutu. But then I've got the legs to carry off the look.

tutu_pink.jpg

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was actually considering going Borat style and finding a smart lime green mankini? I think it'll scare the other runners off so I could be in with a chance of a winning time ;)

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I had a look on sports direct last night after @aliB recommended Karrimor, they look decent so may buy a pair today!

Chelonian

Reaction score
I was actually considering going Borat style and finding a smart lime green mankini?

Beware of gusset chafe. :)

Edited to add: Sports Direct staff nearly always ask if one also wants to buy insoles to make the footwear "more comfy". Don't bother. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah i had karrimors for when i was up hills in the lake district never tabbed but its essentialy fast walking hope you enjoy it and thank you for helping in the charity work

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Any of you doing catterick paras 10 this year?

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it's the proper P company route, going for Royal Marines and I live very local to Vimy/ITC so thought I'd give it a bash! Although Paras was a close second so if I make it to CTC and it goes tits up, I'll probably go for Paras after that. Alright I'll get searching, cheers:)!

Been told it isnt p company route

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Any of you doing catterick paras 10 this year?
Was thinking about it as i live in Catterick... but it’s a day before i start RT so thats a no go.

But what route is it do you know? I have a friend who wanted to do it they’ll be interested in knowing!