Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Paras to be charged with Bloody Sunday Offences

Discussion in 'Military News and Clips' started by rkec, Mar 2, 2019.

1. rkec

rkec New Member

Media reports this morning that members of the Parachute regiment are to be charged with offences going back 47 years. In my opinion there is zero chance of a successful prosecution.

Let me give you my prediction. They will be charged, then some politician will virtue signal and get the charges dropped. This is just a fake argument artificially set up for someone to score political points off. It's going to cause endless worry for the people involved, but hey ho, what do they matter to this country anymore?

2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It’s an absolute flustercluck. And it’s surprising anyone wants to join at all when the heirarchy will turn on them.

Morale hit rock bottom and lads were threaders when the Marine A thing was kicking off.
    Lads were threatened with disciplinary action too if they were caught online or at the protest.

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

"Crown Prosecutors must be satisfied there is enough evidence to provide a "realistic prospect of conviction" against each defendant."

https://www.cps.gov.uk/publication/code-crown-prosecutors

Undoubtedly there is a political dimension to this matter. In some circles it’s not the investigation and prosecution of veterans that is considered offensive but the apparent one-sided nature of such investigations and prosecutions.

There are civilian individuals alive in both the Republic and Ulster whose connections to murders, bombings and serious criminality committed in the name of proscribed terrorist groups are well known.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  4. 03092014

03092014 Royal Marines Commando

Whist IRA members are allowed to freely roam the streets under the Good Friday Agreement.

• Like Like x 6
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  5. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

All of the above,yet another example of why sometimes I'm glad my "old fella" aint about to witness this garbage. Absolutely disgusting and wrong on so many levels.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  6. DutyWretch

DutyWretch Royal Marines Commando

And run political parties that currently form a coalition government.

Another reason I admire Maggie T, she knew how to deal with terrorists, offer them deals and clemency, rinse them of all valuable intel, then let slip the location and whereabouts of these ‘informers’ to their enemies.

Alls fair in war.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  7. rkec

rkec New Member

Shocking stuff, they are going to charge a Para. There you go boys, that's what you are joining up for.

8. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Disgusting.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Member

Just heard that the poor old soldier in question will not be subject to a reduced sentence if convicted, this is due to the fact “Bloody Sunday” occurred in 72’. The Good Friday agreement gave reduced sentences for convicted terrorists from 73’ onwards, with the sentencing guidelines set at 2 years.
    What an absolute joke!
    Disgusting!

• Seen Seen x 2
  10. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

It begs the question about those responsible for Warrenpoint, which was supposedly in retaliation for BS. :mad:

Alan

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Atlas10

Atlas10 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Throwing the book at only one soldier, lovely.

Nothing for the terrorist-turned-politicians however? Of course not, because that would upset the status quo. Much better to kick the poor servant.

This is literally just mob mentality and social justice points using a scapegoat. Absolute disgrace.

"All wars are crimes"

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Member

Now wondering if Phil Shiner will come knocking at my mum’s door regarding my late fathers service in Korea!

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  13. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    • Like Like x 3
  14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The MOD is currently looking through heritage websites to find the living relatives of Rorke’s Drift to have them charged with Murder.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. rkec

rkec New Member

Also sounds like they are going to start prosecuting Paras who didn't give evidence or didn't give the right evidence. Those guys are also going to be thrown to the mob now.

What saddens me, and I don't know the chap involved, is that I wouldn't have put it past them to pick a Para who doesn't have long to live. Make a token gesture out of prosecuting him only for him to pass in the next few weeks or months and the whole thing conveniently drops.

Worth remembering the Attorney General intervened to stop the prosecution of Blair on Iraq and one of the reasons was:

"it's a point of principle. The case is seeking to prosecute people who have acted as ministers in the past and the attorney general believes the current government should stand up for them."

:confused:

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  16. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

A truly sad day for the Parachute Regiment

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Member

Should give the Historic Allegations Team a real job and spend £195 million investigating the terrorists who literally got away with murder.:mad:

• Nailed It Nailed It x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. rkec

rkec New Member

Not for the Paras pal, more for this sad excuse of a once proud country.

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    A sad day for the Forces. Everyone will be looking over their shoulder in future conflicts, as the dogs abortion that was the Marine A trial would have shook the foundations of everyone in the Forces.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. rkec

rkec New Member

The main problem for me on this is not the chaps guilt or innocence. It's the fact that he can't now get a fair trial as it has taken 40 years. That is impossible in anyones eyes.

How on earth is a court going to recreate for a jury, the threat at that time so they can understand it today from the safety of their jury room? Let the jury start with 20 people on it, bring in hidden people to take pot shots at them for 6 months, at random times, when one sits down, he or she suddenly explodes into bits, lose a few until they are down to 12. Then tell them to crack on with their decision. Then, and about then, will they get a glimpse of what those guys were thinking at that time. That could have been done at the time, but can't now.

Absolutely he might be guilty, not arguing one way or another but 100% he won't get a fair trial.

The Marine A brings up another issue. Will Soldier F be tried via Court Martial or is this one suddenly going via the Civil Courts?

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1