Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.
  1. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Anyone know how the army recruitment process works for paras can’t find much info online that’s up to date, can a Royal Marines medical be transferred over or would you have to start from scratch? Thanks

2. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Rule #1 - never ask a Royal Marine how to join the Paras....

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Haha I know there are a few para recruits on here and they don’t have there own forum, still going to use this for training etc this forum really is brilliant everyone is so helpful just thought I’d ask

• Like Like x 1
  4. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    That's fair lad, but i wouldn't expect too much useful information to come out haha, what makes you want to stop being a Royal Marine anyway if you're already gone through your medical as you said?

5. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I know I’ve always seen royals and paras as the best wouldn’t join anything else and decided to go for royals as most my family were Royal Navy but has caused a lot of problems with missus and looking deeper into it if I passed out a royal the closest I’d ever be to my family home is just over 4 hours by train, had a long chat about all the options and seeing as were pretty settled the kids in a good school and I have my one year old I don’t want to just be around on the weekends, we’re only 25 mins away from paras barracks so I can be around them a lot more, seems like the best way for all of us not just myself

• Like Like x 1
  6. MORP

MORP Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Fair enough, if you're a family man and you've got obligations, you've *text deleted* find that balance point. But you've also *text deleted* have an honest chat with yourself and see if the military is the best option for you as its generally a single man's world.

Although i understand the appeal and respect your decision to join an elite infantry unit, you will be away on exercise or training for long periods of time in your career which will involve missing time with your family, your kids birthdays and anniversaries, so i think you're *text deleted* have to weigh it all up as you're already having doubts.

7. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Joining the military will mean huge sacrifice from both you and your partner. You could be forced to be away for long periods of time at short notice. Your training will be 6 months long at Catterick in North Yorkshire. Unit exercises usually last between 10-14 days! Amongst other things. Operational deployments can last up to 6 months.

If separation is causing you enough issues to consider choosing a nearby unit then I would suggest that maybe your partners expectations will not be met? Just have a good think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. dewalt2001

dewalt2001 Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Thanks we understand this any military jobs you spend periods away and training has to be done we will get through that, for me there is no other options I have made some very bad decisions in my life and the birth of my daughter has in effect saved me this is the way I am bettering our lives and I owe I to her to do my best. If I can be around after work most nights when no deployed or training then looks like the best option personally, how could I go into the Royal Marines knowing I could join the paras and still be able to go home after work and help out when one of the ethos ethos is unselfishness I think I would contradict myself massively

• Like Like x 2
  9. Corvo50

Corvo50 Royal Marines Commando

Could always tie the knot and be on married quarters about 2mins away from unit. Came from the Army to the Royal Marines mate and it’s the best decision I ever made. Even the fact that the paras don’t have there own forum or support network to potential recruits is tragic and laughable. Hoofing soldiers don’t get me wrong but always wanted to think for myself and be amongst educated people rather than “yes sir no sir”

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As a recruiter, I'm always of the opinion it's best to ask the guys doing the job rather than those of us employed solely to recruit.

Whichever way you look at it, this quote sells it better than I ever could.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Yep, although it saddens me to agree.

A good mate of mine currently serving in the Royal Marines lives in Torquay which would mean a nice, convenient daily commute to either 42 CDO in Plymouth or to 40 CDO in Taunton. Except that he's currently drafted to Arbroath, Scotland. :)

As alluded to by others, don't assume that the needs of the service will mesh exactly with family life.

12. Cct_99

Cct_99 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I start basic training for the army in a week, howevr i got upto PJFT for the marines and I have a mate who went through the paras process at the same time as me. The application is quite different to the navy, however same in its own ways. You will not have your medical or written tests before selection. First off the interview is not as formal for the army. They just show you a presentation and ask you for your job preferences (this may have changed slightly though as I had my interview a year ago) you then wait for your medical to be checked by the army and after all that is good, you will be looking at a start date for selection. Selection is nothing major, you'll do a medical, eye test, ACT, basic fitness and team tasks. After completing selection, you'll go onto your PRAC course. My mate told me this is just as difficult and if not harder than the PRMC (forgot to mention he got to week 5 in training for the marines) apparently the 1.5 mile run is harder than the one you do for PRMC, as the warm up is at a faster pace and not to mention the 1.5 mile run has to be done in 9.30 mins. You'll do the steeplechase, a 4 mile run, a course that isn't too dissimilar to the endurance course and other stuff I can't quite remember he told me about. Then if successful you will obviously go onto getting a start date at Catterick

And no, you cannot transfer the medical. The army and navy don't share information, so you will have to start from scratch.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  13. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Catterick will be rough as its further away to colchester but unit life thus far is stable got few blokes who go home every night works fine. Some companies are busy for a year some little less comes in waves.

• Like Like x 2
  14. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I'm in training now if you want to message me lad

• Like Like x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  15. gah03

gah03 New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Ive applied to go to AFC Harrogate this year and then into the Para’s. I’m just appealing a medical rejection which should be fine as it was for eczema 8 years ago, then If I pass at the assessment days does anyone know if I have to do the PRAC as I’m going to Harrogate first? I’ve read that juniors don’t but I’ve also read every para applicant had to do it.

16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Welcome. You'll get a definitive answer from your Army Careers Adviser but I've got a sneaking feeling that even those who attended AFC Harrogate have to complete PRAC. But I'm forty years out of date and PRAC didn't exist back then. :)
    @Wings might comment if he spots this. Best of luck.

17. gah03

gah03 New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Thanks for the reply. Yes I did ask the careers office and he said I didn’t have to do it, but then I read on another thread that a recruit going to Harrogate had to do it after his assesment, which is why I’m confused.

18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'd be more inclined to trust your Careers Adviser than a possibly less credible internet source. Either way, after AFC Harrogate you will have a grip on what requirements are.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wings

Wings Parachute Regiment

Harrogate go straight to week 12 of depot but not to scare you. You need it 100% as harrogate transfers are pretty insane. To other infantry units as the differance in tempo is a huge jump

• Like Like x 1
  20. gah03

gah03 New Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Cheers for the reply. Yeah I’ve read that a lot, so I definitely understand that part. This is one of the reasons why I was asking about when I do the PRAC, and if it’s something I need to prepare for before I start Harrogate, So I’m not sure if I need to pass this to actually get in to Harrogate with Paras being my choice.