Parent looking for help

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by rdm73, Jan 2, 2018.

1. rdm73

rdm73 New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi all, just signed up for general info and also specific information regarding passing out parade dates

2. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Welcome to the forum! I’m sure someone will be along soon to answer your question about pass out dates. But in the meantime dive in!

3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Welcome! I see you have been added to the Parents and Partners section. Please introduce yourself to the other P&Ps and ask away.

As regard pass out dates, if you put the Troop that your son is in, I'm sure that someone will have the answer. However, if he's just starting then it will be 32 weeks plus any block leave, so it will be a bit vague at the moment.

I should also point out that the number of Recruits passing out with their original Troop will be small compared to the number starting on day 1, week 1. This is due to those who opt out, injury, or failing a training criteria.

Good luck to him and yourself!

Alan

• Like Like x 5
  4. badminton1

badminton1 Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Would you be able to say when 254 troops pass out is for definite yet?

5. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Hopefully someone on here will be able to give you a definitive answer fairly quickly, but to get an approximate range just go 32 weeks from when he started and then add on two weeks for Christmas and another couple for Easter.

Also, just tell him to ask his TT when the date is. So much easier! :)

Alan

6. PotentialBootneck

PotentialBootneck New Member

Not exactly the best place to be asking, but what do people's partners think of them joining the royals?

7. badminton1

badminton1 Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Couldn’t be more proud if I’m honest. My family have always been in the forces so to find out my partners ambition was the marines was amazing and well respected from my parents! Want us both to be successful and stable for the future with whatever our paths are.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PotentialBootneck

That's exactly what we want but my fiancée isn't exactly pleased about me wanting to join, but she's understanding that it's what I've always wanted to do, threw away all educational options and stuck to minimum wage warehouse work for this, so she understands that I don't want to let it go, we get married on the 29th September this year too, so that's not exactly helping with me wanting to join! But at times she is unbelievably supportive, but there are times where she's not a happy bunny

9. badminton1

badminton1 Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Aw firstly congratulations! My partner tells me I’m the most supportive person that surrounds him which I always wanted. It was hard to digest but then it really hit once he left in November. All in all for how we want our life to go this step has to happen. We feel doing this will allow us to be where we want in a few years. I will always support him and I now whenever anyone asks I been with pride.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PotentialBootneck

Thank you! I want her to feel that sense or pride that I want to feel! I'm a very proud person so I tend to do what I can for myself on my own, but this is one of those situations where I can't! I don't suppose you have any word of advice for her about being away from your partner do you? What is life like away from each other, how often do you see each other etc.?

11. badminton1

badminton1 Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Personally I don’t see my partner until annual leaves. So I believe it was Sunday he headed back down and I will not see him until Easter now. I would say I found it hard the first 2 weeks because I was uneasy with when he would call etc. However, now it is easier I don’t worry as much as I speak almost nights on FaceTime. I would just say it will get easier and you will get used to it. I found the day of his departure this time was emotional. I just count down the days till I next see him and we are closer in relationship sense I feel.

12. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You have a lot at stake here. You've already made sacrifices to help you get where you want to be and it's a long stressful journey.....but with rich rewards when you get to your destination. Your fiancée really has to be 100% supportive at all times; you BOTH have to want it. There will be many bumps along the way and this is when you will appreciate the love and support of your fiancée. I would imagine that if she finds the separation difficult once you're in RT, is missing you and wants you home, it may well have a detrimental effect on you and take your focus off your goal. I think you really need to talk, then talk a bit more, together to ascertain that this is what you both want; it really is so important to have that one special person behind you all the way. Perhaps ask her to join the forum and chat with other partners? All the best.

• Like Like x 2